odd stihl 026

• Thread starter Deleted member 83629
  • Start date
Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Deleted member 83629

Bought a 026 yesterday i got to researching the saw and i was reading about how the 026 pro had more features than the regular 026 like compensating carburetor adjustable oiler and decompression valve. Well my 026 has the compensating carburetor and adjustable oiler but no decompression valve.

Did stihl throw together parts they had laying around to build some models??? Here is some pics including a blurry picture of the exhaust port.
20151114_100228.jpg
20151114_100238.jpg
20151114_151726.jpg
20151113_161054.jpg
20151113_161047.jpg

I would think than the guy you bought it from (or guys before him) threw it together using a bunch of parts. You definiately will not miss the decompression valve

the prev owner was the original owner he bought it new in 2002 someone told me it might have been some of last 026 models built that stihl tossed together.

i will check in the morning i plan on adding the elastostart to this saw. and getting a fully adjustable carb but at the moment it seems to be working fine.

Is the jug tapped for a decomp? I have plugged a few to avoid trouble. Big fan of elastostart rope.
Btw if the whole is tapped for thread what place would you recommend i could go to to inquire a plug?

Looks like a regular non pro late model 026.

I have one.

The case is notched for the pro oiler but it aint got one.

You have a fixed H jet carb.

Clean nice saw. I prefer the pro oiler, but it's not necessary.

Take a gander down the oil adjuster hole. See if there's a screw. Take the clutch cover off and look towards the front part of the saw. See if you see the plastic pump.

An adjustable H carb for that saw is under $20 deliver on eBay.

Btw if the whole is tapped for thread what place would you recommend i could go to to inquire a plug?

If it's already tapped, and doesn't have a decomp valve fitted, then it's already plugged otherwise your saw wouldn't run.

well i pulled the cylinder cover and there is no hole for the decompression valve and i cleaned the underside out of the saw and there is a fixed oil pump even through the bottom of the saw indicates the pump is adjustable.
Sorry about the many questions my bad eye sight is to blame. thank you guys for all the help.

You're better off without the decomp. No need for it on a 50cc saw.
Even for the most girly of men.
My Dad is 77 years old and has a bum left shoulder. Without that decompression valve he CAN start his saw....but not without a lot of pain! OBTW I've run his saw several times and I like using that valve. Wish I had one on my MS260!

well i pulled the cylinder cover and there is no hole for the decompression valve and i cleaned the underside out of the saw and there is a fixed oil pump even through the bottom of the saw indicates the pump is adjustable.
Sorry about the many questions my bad eye sight is to blame. thank you guys for all the help.
Jake, at least you would have the option to upgrade to an adjustable oiler if you want. I generally run an adjustable at near full open. In the case of the 026, the downside to non adjustable oil pump is that it pumps continuously vs. only when the chain is spinning on the adjustable model. Kinda' messy but the bar & chain should last a good long time. You will like your new saw...

Stihl made lots of different versions of the 026/260 for different markets and marketing - so no combination of known features will surprise me. In addition, previous owners may have made changes.

A plugged hole for a decomp means the saw originally came with a decomp valve - but some wise owner decided to replace it with a plug.

the prev owner was the original owner he bought it new in 2002 someone told me it might have been some of last 026 models built that stihl tossed together.

That is very likely, my 2003 brochure said MS260, and there were 3 versions - MS260 Farm Boss (no decomp and crank drive non-adjustable oiler), MS260 (260 Pro in the US) and MS260VW (heated handles and carb).

Back