ArboristSite.com Sponsors

OK ... "462 vs 572"

Discussion in 'Chainsaw' started by cary911, Dec 2, 2019.

1. cary911

cary911 ArboristSite Guru

Awesome! Great Pics. … I have to ask, Did you order this in their "R" 3/4, clutch cover? … Or assembled it yourself? … If Im' not mistaken, the 3/4 has to come off to place the scrench hold on the Handle? … Typically the dawgs are different on Stihl's "R"'s addl. … Thanks!

chipper1 likes this.
  2. cary911

"Pro Safety" … things are a raucous 17176_1_43.jpg !

3. president

president Addicted to ArboristSite

NO dealer support on the west coast for husky saws .The dealers I,ve talked
    to are frustrated at every turn,and tell me husky does,nt give a &%!T anymore

4. old guy

old guy Addicted to ArboristSite

Apparently you've never cut when it's 10° - 15° below 0°.

5. EchoRomeoCharlie

EchoRomeoCharlie ArboristSite Operative

Sure have...but maybe once or twice a year? It simply doesn't get that cold for extended periods of time around here(or most of the US).

First, we have several years of wood stacked. No need to cut when it's that cold.

Secondly, I put on insulated gloves. If I'm cutting wood then I'm working...I've never really had a problem with cold hands while working. Never have I thought to myself 'Man...I could really use a heated grip right now...' While running a saw. Now...I could use heated grips in the skid steer! Sitting there doing nothing, that's when we get cold. We play rock, paper, scissors to see who has to sit in the skid steer and freeze their ass off.

I'd be interested in the percentage of saws sold in Canada that actually have heated grips...I'll bet it's less than 25%. I wouldn't be surprised if it's less than 10%.

6. Andyshine77

Andyshine77 Tree Freak

The reason Stihl doesn't sell heated saws is simple. No one bought them. They would sit at the distributors and collect dust and be years old before the saws were bought. Now a dealer should still be able to have the odd one shipped in, I mean I can get junk straight from China in about a week so it shouldn't be a big deal.

Some dealers don't even have the tools to spin chain, they just buy the pre made loops.

May guys out west only run Husqvarna saws, just because they're not around your town doesn't mean it's that way everywhere. Husqvarna does seem to be focusing on homeowner junk now of days, that's where the real $$$ is.

7. Ryan'smilling

Ryan'smilling Addicted to ArboristSite

You're welcome to speculate about percentages and Stihl's reasons for doing anything that they do. Here's a real data point. I used to be a Stihl guy. I will not be considering purchasing a Stihl saw unless I can buy a heated one. I cut mostly during winter. When it's cold. I will, however be purchasing one or maybe two heated Husqvarna saws in the next twelve months. That's all I know.

Husky Man, chipper1, Need2Saw and 2 others like this.
  8. RyeThomas

RyeThomas ArboristSite Operative

I had the outstanding well know member from Greece send me the extra parts to make it an R.

Husky Man, Duce, mbrick and 3 others like this.
  9. TheDarkLordChinChin

TheDarkLordChinChin My name Borat, I like you

I bought a wrap handle bar for my 462 from him.
    I can actually use the saw now.

Husky Man, Duce, chipper1 and 2 others like this.
  10. Huskybill

Huskybill Addicted to ArboristSite

I had a 80’s husky 240sg with heated handles in the northeast I cut with no gloves. I wish my 266se had heated handles too.

When picking a new saw there’s no replacement for displacement. It’s the bar length vs the diameter of the wood you cutting. Weight factors in too. But also the torque and power in using longer bars with bigger wood. It boils down to one saw can’t meet all our needs. I hate waiting for a saw to cut. I want a saw that will cut quicker. It’s power vs weight I guess.

11. Trail Blazer

Trail Blazer ArboristSite Lurker

I suspect you'd be correct, I rarely see heated grip saws up here in North Eastern B.C., but if I had to make my living with a saw in the winter months in these parts I'd sure own one.

Husky Man, Duce, farmer steve and 2 others like this.
  12. old guy

old guy Addicted to ArboristSite

When I worked the woods for a living we drew the line at -20°, because chains & skiddin tongs started breaking & red oaks would barberchair & split, and finger tips start turning white.

Husky Man, Duce, mbrick and 3 others like this.
  13. cary911

No ****? … The dealer here has expressed kinda the same. As they are not impressed, joked but perhaps not about dropping the line all together. Early on, long ago, their Rep brought a 572 to display, or publicize … The Rep took it back 3 days later, so no one saw it!

What isn't changing these day? … Thanks for the info, as what I see on YouTube, contemporary media, etc, for the BC Fallers, Helli Crews, The Island, etc, … "Husqvarna" seems to dominate with the crème of the experienced.

14. TheDarkLordChinChin

TheDarkLordChinChin My name Borat, I like you

It does, almost all of them seem to be running 390s.

15. cary911

I'm limited with an injury … but went back out to get a closer look, feel. I will say that 572 at least "feels right in traditional Husqvarna fashion" with Handle placement imo, opposed to Stihl's idk, strange short nose heavy balance?

Does it still sound like a Husqvarna? Thanks!

Attached Files:

16. cary911

17. CatMan Fetters

CatMan Fetters ArboristSite Member

I’ve got heated handles on my snowblower and love them! That’s the trouble with Stihl they think they know it all, and most of the their Dealers don’t know Jack **** about what they sell!!

18. Huskybill

Huskybill Addicted to ArboristSite

I like the heated handles on my ‘80’s husky 240sg (older all metal pro saw). But sometimes it was too hot. It needed a reastat to lower the heat. Or I wore gloves with it.

My Subaru’s have the cold weather package, heated mirrors, but I like the heated seats no more cold butt.

Husky Man, CatMan Fetters and old guy like this.
  19. MaddBomber

MaddBomber ArboristSite Operative

My only exposure to either model was back up north. A good friend and former employer runs predominantly Husqvarna saws, and had been for decades. He has two full time fallers. I've only ever seen him with two Stihls, 200t and an MS660 (kept smoking the bearings out of 3 different 390s)
    I visited him as his crew was select cutting a 30 acre hardwood stand.
    I noticed a 572xp sitting unused. When I asked, he said he bought two 572s and a 462c. Guess which one is fought over....
    All saws are bone stock running 24" bars in 85/15 hardwoods.
    Giggling, I asked what his opinion was. According to him (a die-hard husky fanboy) the 462c is lighter, faster, smoother and has a better power band.
    We both discussed how Husqvarna seems to be fading there (New England). I can't find a Husqvarna dealer here in Eastern NC, when there used to be multiple just a few years ago.

chipper1, president, Walkdog and 4 others like this.
  20. cary911

Well, that's kinda what I was wondering in this post as I thought I've heard others express the same. Addl, The Local Husqvarna dealer is fed with Husqvarna, their Reps, etc.? … so, Thank You!

I should start a post on the topic alone. "The Pic Above was a BC heli Crew, so?" idk.

chipper1, farmer steve and svk like this.