Older Stihl 028 cylinder scored, reusable? With Pics!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is this cylinder recoverable?

• Total voters

garndawg

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Gents,

First post, but long time lurker. I've rebuilt a bunch of stuff over the years, but finally came up against something I could really use your advice on.

Here's a cylinder off an older 028 (no chainbrake) that suffered a broken piston ring. It's a 46mm bore, so equivalent to the 028 Super. Piston and ring need replacing, but I'm not sure about the cylinder. Everything else, rubber, etc, is in great shape.

I've got $40 into the saw and would rather not put another $100+ into it.

Gents, would this work with a new piston/rings, or should I just break it up and sell on eBay?

PS: Unrelated, but I can replace the jug and piston, along with a bunch of other stuff for an 029 for $50, why do the 028 jugs run for so much more??

Attachments

• 100_0278.JPG
    100_0278.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 179
  • 100_0269.JPG
    100_0269.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 190
  • 100_0276.JPG
    100_0276.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 176
  • 100_0277.JPG
    100_0277.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 160
Those gouges look a little deep to me. You can hit it with some emery but if it was me I'd be looking into another cylinder.

Gents,

First post, but long time lurker. I've rebuilt a bunch of stuff over the years, but finally came up against something I could really use your advice on.

Here's a cylinder off an older 028 (no chainbrake) that suffered a broken piston ring. It's a 46mm bore, so equivalent to the 028 Super. Piston and ring need replacing, but I'm not sure about the cylinder. Everything else, rubber, etc, is in great shape.

I've got $40 into the saw and would rather not put another $100+ into it.

Gents, would this work with a new piston/rings, or should I just break it up and sell on eBay?

PS: Unrelated, but I can replace the jug and piston, along with a bunch of other stuff for an 029 for $50, why do the 028 jugs run for so much more??
I'm not liking the way it looks , I don't see how under a 100.00 you can do it properly.

yes I have trashed jugs that looked better than that one . I would play it safe and get a new piston and cyl kit but you going to prob have a 100 or more in it.

Those gouges look a little deep to me. You can hit it with some emery but if it was me I'd be looking into another cylinder.
+1 for me. The plating looks to be off in chunks around one port if I am seeing correctly.

Thanks for the response, guys. I picked up a used 44mm cylinder and piston for $50 to replace it with. It's smaller than the original, but beats paying $100+ just for a new jug. It'll run again...

If that was the model without the chain brake then it was originally 42mm.the 44mm cylinder will work.chances are IF it was a 42mm wood boss the piston was installed backwards from the factory.there's been several including me that's found them like that lately.

Well, I screwed up! :(

Got it all cleaned up, replacement eBay 44mm P&C on tight (145psi), fired right up and I started to tune it to idle. Locked up, tight. Ugh.

Pulled it apart and there were gouges on the piston. Rings were in good shape, just looked like some metal got in there and drifted up into the cylinder walls. I suppose I didn't clean the crankcase enough and some bits of the previous rings were still in there. :oops:

So now I'm on the hunt for _another_ P&C!

Any advice on how to make sure I've got all the bits out of there without cracking the case apart?

Thanks for all the advice, guys!

Well, I screwed up! :(

Any advice on how to make sure I've got all the bits out of there without cracking the case apart?

Crack the case apart.

Seriously, at this point, do it 100% or not at all. If there was metal in the crankcase, chances are little bits of broken ring could have gotten into the bearings.

I just traded away an 028 wood boss, one of the newest incarnations. Couldn't hardly sell the thing!

I got it for $40, have $50 in the busted P&C. Not really wanting to keep it, just curious about what makes it tick. I've got a Husqy 55 complete cracked apart that I'm rebuilding, too. It's not really a money-making project, just a hobby, as I like to tinker.

I suppose cracking the case and going whole hog makes sense, if I'm going to replace the P&C anyway. Or sell the carcass...

I _am_ in the market, tho, I'd like to find a pretty 026 or 036 Pro that I'd actually keep long term as my primary saw. I've got a MS180 right now, but I'd like a bigger one for the heavy lifting.

If that was the model without the chain brake then it was originally 42mm.the 44mm cylinder will work.chances are IF it was a 42mm wood boss the piston was installed backwards from the factory.there's been several including me that's found them like that lately.
Now you have me wondering. I take it, if you pull the muffler and don't see a gap in the ring, you're good to go.

Ring gap goes to intake side.your model should have been good since it was a 44mm.as long as you installed your piston with the arrow pointing towards the muffler its ok

Ring gap goes to intake side.your model should have been good since it was a 44mm.as long as you installed your piston with the arrow pointing towards the muffler its ok
My 028 was my first project saw. I started off with an incomplete 42mm version with a bad p/c. I bought a 44mm p/c off of evil-bay. At the time, I was confused as to which way the piston went. The way I thought it should go was opposite of the original. I have never heard that about many 42mm's being backwards from the factory. After all these years, you've cleared up the mystery. Now, I'm pretty sure I put it in the right way....I think....damn....I better look. Actually, the saw is running fine....but I'm stihl gonna look.

Have an older 028 no brake never in the shop and original owner but it's a 44mm bore and piston is also backwards.End gap to muffler side.Dave
How long have you known about it? Evidently, you've operated the saw all these years without incident?

Not my saw,but a neighbor.He bought it new.Carbon and bad filter ruined it.Piston stamped to exhaust and so were ring ends.Getting piston same way because if I install it correct way it looks like ports on intake side are right at ends.It ran that way till now?

Latest posts

Back