Optimum Bar Size

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zwing789

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have been milling with a stihl 038 for a couple years, recently bit the bullet and bought a lightly used ms660. I have a granberg mill, and a 24 inch bar with ripping chain. Understanding that part of the reason I spent the money on the saw was that I could use a larger bar, I am wondering what is the biggest bar I can use without skip chain. I am milling mostly hardwoods. I understand there are certain benefits to cutting with a smaller bar, but I guess I want to know what the point of diminishing returns is with the 660. I was thinking about going to the 32" or 36" but I want to cut some big slabs. Can I go up to 48 with a 660 in hard wood even with a skip chain? I don't want to get a mid-size, ideally id like to use the 24 and the maximum and not invest in multiple in between bars.

On a side note, how important is the distinction between ripping chain and regular chain. I usually sharpen my chains with a hendheld electric sharpener. I generally just sharpen all my chains the same, even the ones I buy as ripping chains, does this make a difference with longer bars?

A follow up to this is that the 660 does have a large bore upgrade and an aftermarket ported muffler, if that matters.

I have a 36 0n 660 seams a bout right . Their is a big difference in ripping verses cross cut chain, tooth shape and guide height . Bob does a wonderful job showing this in the sickie at the top of forum page . Welcome to A S .

You can always mill a small/tiny diameter log with a big bar, but you can't mill a 60" slab with a 24" bar....

Heat is your enemy. Use plenty of oil on the bar. Keep your loops sharp. Remember, typical chainsaw milling is an enjoyable 'hobby'....it's not a race. If you're wanting a 'race', get a big bandsaw mill....

Scott (welcome aboard too) B

I use a aux oiler even with small bars, it takes a fair load of the power head.

Bar size I always reckon a 42" bar is the best all round size for 90cc+ saws.
Its about the longest bar that does not sag.
On a conventional mill that gives 36" of cut which you may only use occasionally but its there when you need it and is not too unwieldy when its not needed.

I used to swap the 64" rails that I use for the 60" bar back to the 54" rails when I used the 42" bar but now I leave the 64" rails on even when I use the smaller bar.

Latest posts

Back