Sharpening Granberg ripping chain--best method for uniform cutters?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SCMtnHaul

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I really like the out-of-the-box performance of the Granberg ripping chain and want to be able to maintain the chains perfectly. I do most of my sharpening with the good ol' human powered File-n-Joint and get good results but it's hard to set it up exactly the same each and every time. I'm interested in upgrading to a powered sharpener whether it be a bench mounted grinder or perhaps the Granberg 12v bar-mount grinder. Just interested in what others find to be the best method to efficiently and accurately maintain ripping chain. I would like to avoid spending top dollar but quality costs and I don't mind paying more for a tool that saves me time. It's a lot easier to make more money than to make more time--gettin' older over here ya' know.

I sharpen everything (15 inch to 36 bars and ripping chain for milling) by hand with only a wooden handled file. I don't like any jigs or 2 in 1s, I have tried them and they hide what I am doing and make the results worse. Take your time, hold the bar in a vice and look from above and the side regularly. Get a mental picture of what a sharp tooth should look like or get some triangles of paper made to the cutting angle you want.

I also hand file my mill chains. often. hard wood like oak, say 24"-28" DBH ill touch it up every 4 boards easy using the 3120.. or every tank/bar oil fill up...it drinks gas tho. when done for the day ill take my time, use feeler gauges to check depth gauges on the chain, file out the gullets!! all that jazz. pretend im a pro chain sharpener and carry on.

seems to work.

woodland Pro mill chain

A cheap electric sharpener in the hands of someone who doesn't have the experience of using it (me included, I know!) is a recipe for heating up the teeth and recking them. Unless you are doing a lot of milling, I’d stick to hand filing.

CBN 5 1/4" wheel. Measure your cutters with calipers.

Until you get your hand filing to the point of controlling cutter depth on each one you won't get even chains on touchup. CBN wheel an indexing it is priceless to me milling with long bars to rip through chain on the grinder. One side then the others. Adjust up or down and do them all. It's an autograb model. Sideloading a CBN wheel does not burn cutters ever unless you stomp on it like Bigfoot.

A cheap electric sharpener in the hands of someone who doesn't have the experience of using it (me included, I know!) is a recipe for heating up the teeth and recking them. Unless you are doing a lot of milling, I’d stick to hand filing.
Add oil to the diamonds.
Stones are just not the thing now with better materials available.

I also hand file my mill chains. often. hard wood like oak, say 24"-28" DBH ill touch it up every 4 boards easy using the 3120.. or every tank/bar oil fill up...it drinks gas tho. when done for the day ill take my time, use feeler gauges to check depth gauges on the chain, file out the gullets!! all that jazz. pretend im a pro chain sharpener and carry on.

seems to work.

woodland Pro mill chain
The gullets mean little milling unless your acually pulling chips. I rarely pull chips milling unless the wood is soft or super wet. Oak, hickory and locust pull tiny chip so the chain never jams from chip load unless you get into big wood with full comp. Maple needs more gullet attention and cotton wood type fibers.

The gullets mean little milling unless your acually pulling chips. I rarely pull chips milling unless the wood is soft or super wet. Oak, hickory and locust pull tiny chip so the chain never jams from chip load unless you get into big wood with full comp. Maple needs more gullet attention and cotton wood type fibers.
Roger

Yah I just like keeping them opened up is all. I know the fines don't need it but id rather have it. Long bars do pull a LOT of fines tho. I imagine cant hurt??

Honestly its more about habit and how I like the chain to “look” lol

I'll sharpen half a dozen times by hand & then run the chain through the grinder to even everything up & set the rakers

Latest posts

Back