Oregon 40V Work Light WL275

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Part Of The Family

As noted in other threads, cordless Outdoor Power Equipment is becoming more powerful, and more popular, for certain applications. I have reviewed, and use, a number of the Oregon 40V products. While the power of the batteries have improved over the past several years, and prices have dropped significantly, the cost of the batteries can still add up to half the cost of the tool, in some cases. So it is prudent for purchasers to look at the entire 'family of tools' which share the same batteries and chargers. This can reduce the total cost of ownership, by allowing purchase of less expensive 'bare tools', and allow swapping / sharing of batteries among the different tools.

It's also nice when the manufacturers offer a 'surprise' accessory, like this one. Cordless contractor / carpentry tools have offered radios and small work lights for a while, but this large work light offers a nice alternative to halogen work lights, for someone like me, who is already invested into their system / battery platform.

I like the corded (120V) LED work lights that I have purchased to replace the halogen work lights, which get hot, and have bulbs which bread, so I am looking forward to this one.

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/oregon-40-volt-pole-saw.248941/
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/oregon-40-v-cordless-leaf-blower.282640/
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/oregon-cs300-40v-cordless-chainsaw.286385/
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/review-oregon-powernow-cordless-chainsaw.179262/
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/stihl-and-other-36v-cordless-chainsaws.177392/

Philbert

Demo Unit

Received a demo unit today. Pretty simple: uses the 40V PowerNow batteries, or runs off of a small, simple, AC (120 - 240V) adapter. Lens tilts downward (forward), approximately 10°, and backwards (up) approximately 90°. Comes fully assembled, but the 2-piece tubular frame comes apart very easy if you need to break it down for travel. More specs on the box (see photos - click to enlarge). Mine weighs about 4 lbs 7 oz, and about 7 lbs 1 oz with a 2.4Ah battery installed. Can't wait until it gets dark!

IMG_5061.jpg IMG_5062.jpg

Philbert

Attachments

• IMG_5058.jpg
    IMG_5058.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5059.jpg
    IMG_5059.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5060.jpg
    IMG_5060.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 9
Looks really useful Philbert! The more tools one can use his Oregon battery for the better. What is the rough MSRP?
I don't know. I have asked about pricing and availability, and am waiting for a reply.

I see them listed for sale on some European websites, but that pricing does not always apply to the US (or to you guys, as I hear!).

Philbert

Trial at First Light

Went out to annoy the neighbors with it last night. Also compared it subjectively to a few other lights, including: a 500 watt halogen work light; a smaller, corded LED work light (rated at 830 lumens); and a hand-held, Rayovac spotlight rated at 500 lumens (runs on 6 AA batteries).

WL275 and Friends.jpg
The WL275 casts a pretty wide beam, with gentle illumination over a broad area. With it's size, weight, and light output, I felt like I was carrying a high-tech Coleman lantern, without the hissing noise. Tried it on the 'High' (1091 rated lumens) and 'Low' (584 rated lumens) settings. Provides nice, general area lighting.

There were clearly some differences between these lights in apparent brightness, color, coverage, etc. Some of this has to do with the light source (halogen vs. LED); reflector size and type (spot vs. flood); and lens size; aside from just the rated lumens. Portability, convenience, and battery life/run time are also factors to be considered.

Overall my initial impressions are very positive, as an accessory to my Oregon 40V Outdoor Power Equipment, since I already have the batteries and charger. If I had to buy those just to use this one light, I would want to compare it to other battery powered work lights. But standing on its own, it still could be a great option for a lot of places where temporary or emergency lighting is needed.

Philbert

There was a time when acetylene (calcium carbide added to water)was used for this type of light. Even the light tower with diesel engine type or sort of type one sees at highway construction.

A 12 volt lead acid battery and an inverter will let you use your 120 volt drop light or other such bulb holding things. Even before led a 75 watt incandescent bulb could be run at least until midnight and there was no noticeable effect on starting the pick up truck.

There is a degree K rating on the light bulbs (maybe a more general term like devices) now Most is a bit lower than 3000 but some get 4000. That could be the difference in the light you describe.

The Husqvarna battery does not have a circular saw or a pole saw or a light at this time. They do offer a string trimmer that one can choose which way the rotation is. I am not a big battery tool guy, still use the 9 volt Makita drill popular 20 years ago or a chord. I got the Stihl gasoline drill, bt45, it is not very variable speed.

There are more of these LED lights available at home centers, all the time. Some come with AC adapters. If you know a little bit about electronics, and can solder, you might be able to adapt other batteries to run them for portable use.

If you already use the Oregon 40V system, these are 'plug-and-play', which makes them very attractive to me.

Philbert

Diffusers From Indigenous Materials

The design of the reflector and lens work good to directionally illuminate an area, like a work light, and will light up a room, if reflected off of a white wall or ceiling. But it is hard to look directly at, and hard to centrally light an outdoors area. Since it does not get hot, like a halogen light would, I decided to try some diffusers make out of available materials:
milk jugs, soccer cones, 5 gallon buckets, etc.

Hard to photograph, but with enough lights and cones, I think that I could land aircraft!

PhilbertIMG_5069.jpg
IMG_5072.jpg
IMG_5076.jpg

What is the rough MSRP?
I was told today that these are now heading to Oregon distributors in the US, and should be available from retailers 'soon'. The MSRP in the US is $59 for the light, including the 120 - 240 V AC adaptor (but without any battery or battery charger). So this is clearly being marketed to existing Oregon 40V users.

Batteries and chargers are also sold separately if someone really wanted them, but you would not get any 'package' pricing discount. (2,4Ah battery $104* / 4.0Ah battery $139* / C600 Charger $55*) *current Amazon pricing, but this seems to vary a bit: the 2.4Ah battery was $80 just a month ago in the same place, and $125 a year or two ago.

Philbert

Took It Camping

Not the most convenient thing to pack into luggage, but not a big deal for car camping. Really lit up the campsite, and great for some late arrival tent set ups! As mentioned above, kind of like a high tech Coleman lantern. Like a lantern, it has to be held up to light an area, unless you just want to light the grass, so I had to hold it up, or hang it from a tree. Some type of hanging loop, or stand adaptor, would be a nice feature. OK if you have a table, car, or high rock, etc. to set it on.

Also great for 'inside' lighting - transformed my tent into a navigation beacon for the entire campsite (sorry - no photo).

The light is really blinding if you look directly at it, even on 'Low' - I would love to see them come up with more positions on the switch - to provide adequate illumination at lower levels, increase battery life, and avoid the glare. Maybe even a flashing mode for signaling?

Screen shot 2016-06-15 at 6.46.52 PM.png

So I have played around with filters, made from whatever Plexiglas and Lexan scraps I had in the shop, plus cut up milk jugs, Tupperware from garage sales, etc. Held in place with a couple loops of small diameter bungie cord. I can do this, since the LED light remains cool, unlike halogen lights, which might melt some of these plastic lenses. (I also zip-tied a sunglasses case to the frame to keep the AC adaptor with the light, visible in the photo above).

Lens kit.jpg

It is fun to play with the different colors for signaling, and the semi-opaque filters to diffuse the glare. The yellow filter actually did reduce the attraction of bugs at the campsite.

Thinking of a Bat Signal next . . .

Screen shot 2016-07-09 at 11.46.00 AM.png

Philbert

Back