Oregon CS300 40V Cordless Chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I spent about 20 minutes today cutting with the CS300 Oregon. I bought a 6AH battery and wanted to take it down from full charge of 4 lights to half charge of 2 lights, to store the battery until winter { supposedly li-ion batteries are best stored at 50% charge. }

The technology still is not there in comparison to gas saws , IMHO. For cutting softwoods or smaller diameter hardwoods/ thick branches up to 10 inchs, and de-limbing big trees , the CS300 is up to the task and VERY convenient. Hardwood 12 inchs or more round is still a bit of a strain for the CS300. It can do it, but its not time feasible and you can hear the brushless motor doesn't like the strain.

I am glad I bought it though, because it is convenient, easy to use and I sometimes cut my wood to long and it needs to be cut again during winter months . Having a cordless electric allows that to be done, without the hassle of mixing up gas/oil just for a few minutes of use/ cutting.

I got a good deal on mine to. Paid $195 shipped for it brand new in box with 4 AH battery pack/ charger. I sold the battery on ebay for $110 and netted about $85 profit after fees/shipping , which took me down to $110 out of pocket for the saw/charger, then I bought a new 6AH battery pack for $160 . So I got $270 in the whole setup .

Right now the 6ah battery pack is the largest AH pack Oregon offers, but im confident they will soon offer a 8 ah pack to compete with other companies improvements in battery capacity.

For the average homeowner that doesn't want the noise /hassle of gas or the extension cords of 120 volt saws , this is a good product. I would never want to use it soley to cut 4 cords of wood for my yearly heating needs, but the power is good enough and the conveniences of having it on hand for easy , quick , cutting are worth it.

This CS300 is capable of cutting several cords of hardwood a year but a good gas saw will still do that task much quicker , saving you a lot of time . If you are not in a hurry then the CS300 is certainly a solid option. I like to cut/split and stack my 4 cords of wood every year, within a few days time frame so strictly using the CS300 for the cutting part, would not be fast enough.

Latest posts

Back