Cordless Chainsaw Head-2-Head Comparison

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whiskey_Bravo

Tool Box Buzz Crew
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

My name is Wes and I have been a member here for a long time. I am a backyard lumberjack, at best, who grew up cutting wood and burning it for heat. I continue to do so to this day. I am also a huge chainsaw geek and have spent more time than I care to admit lurking here and pouring over various threads. I have never earned a living as an arborist or a logger but I respect the hell out of anyone who does and am fascinated by their craft.

I have been a member of the Tool Box Buzz crew for almost two years now doing reviews of various power and hand tools. One of our claims to fame as an organization are the comprehensive Head-2-Head comparison test we do for different categories of tools. Last month, I hosted a cordless chainsaw Head-2-Head where we evaluated a total of twelve battery powered cordless chainsaws. We recently posted an in depth article on our website as well as YoutTube video. Check out the links below to see our test.

Website Article

YouTube Video

"

Arboristsite has always been a place that I go to share in the knowledge of others. I am excited to finally be able to bring something of my own to the table here to share with you all. I hope you guys can take a look at the article as well as the video and let me know what you think. I would appreciate your feedback on the content and will check back as often as I can to answer any questions that come up.

It’s a challenge to keep up with all the new models offered. So it can be helpful to check out these types of reviews.

Question: many saws are offered with different battery options, and your specs list batteries from 2.0 to 12.0 Amp-hours. Did you adjust for this in the run time tests?

Thanks

Philbert

I'm surprised at where the millwaukee sat, I've used it and the makita tested, & the milwaukee seemed worlds faster & better balanced.

I'm surprised at where the millwaukee sat, I've used it and the makita tested, & the milwaukee seemed worlds faster & better balanced.
In fairness to the OP, it is difficult to conduct a completely objective comparison of this type. The type of wood (hardwood versus softwood); diameter (some battery saws excel in smaller diameter wood, and are better suited for those tasks); the use of professional arborists, who use saws on a continuous basis, versus the primary, targeted, occasional users; etc.; are all factors. Extended use, and battery performance (charging time, optional sizes, etc.), availability of manufacturer support and service, etc., also need to be considered.

Just as with other saws, there will be user preferences, different applications, etc. Some of these companies make different models, and I understand that GreenWorks makes the Kobalt saws, but different voltage platforms were compared. I take these types of comparisons as one point of information, to be combined with the comments of other people. I appreciate that they were detailed on how they tested the saws. But there is no substitute for getting one in your hands and trying it yourself.

Philbert

A lot of the difference between the two saws I used may have been the chain, in all fairness.
My uncle with the Milwaukee can file a wicked sharp chain from years as a logger...
my co-worker has it sharpened by a local shop, and I always treated them as last resort due to being way less sharp than my own on carbide chains. Never had a steel chain to a shop yet.

A lot of the difference between the two saws I used may have been the chain, in all fairness.
My uncle with the Milwaukee can file a wicked sharp chain from years as a logger...
my co-worker has it sharpened by a local shop, and I always treated them as last resort due to being way less sharp than my own on carbide chains. Never had a steel chain to a shop yet.

I agree completely. Much like circular/carpentry saws the quality of your blade, the profile, kerf, etc.. all make a big difference. The majority of these saws had narrow gauge general purpose chains on them. Oregon was the OEM for the majority of the saws. In the case of the Stihl, the aggressive pro grade chain was almost a hinderance during the run time test. Unfortuneatly I think it was slightly too aggressive for the 16" bar. It would have been an absolute monster with a 14" I think. But the Stihl and Husqvarna made beautiful piles of chips.

Question: many saws are offered with different battery options, and your specs list batteries from 2.0 to 12.0 Amp-hours. Did you adjust for this in the run time tests?
Philbert

Typically we use the data gathered to figure out cuts per calculated watt hour for our tests. However I made the decision to go with straight out of the box performance because I felt that's what the majority of users wanted to know/expect if they were planning on buying brand X vs. Y as a kit. Stihl, Husqvarna, and Oregon make that a little more difficult with their selection of a la carte battery offerings and chargers.

In fairness to the OP, it is difficult to conduct a completely objective comparison of this type. The type of wood (hardwood versus softwood); diameter (some battery saws excel in smaller diameter wood, and are better suited for those tasks); the use of professional arborists, who use saws on a continuous basis, versus the primary, targeted, occasional users; etc.; are all factors. Extended use, and battery performance (charging time, optional sizes, etc.), availability of manufacturer support and service, etc., also need to be considered.

Just as with other saws, there will be user preferences, different applications, etc. Some of these companies make different models, and I understand that GreenWorks makes the Kobalt saws, but different voltage platforms were compared. I take these types of comparisons as one point of information, to be combined with the comments of other people. I appreciate that they were detailed on how they tested the saws. But there is no substitute for getting one in your hands and trying it yourself.

Philbert

I appreciate your feedback and also your ability to see what the test was really all about. At the end of the day none of these saws will replace my full time 60cc firewood saws, but they make a damn nice compliment to them. Especially for the situations when I get home from work and there is a large limb in the driveway and I just want to grab a saw and go at the flip of a switch. You have to really feel these in hand to understand them.

With 5 cordless saws to my name: Stihl 220 & 200, Makita 36v top handle & 18v top handle, and the first generation Echo 58v it's been interesting to see the cordless market evolve. From what I've seen none are bad saws. There are some limitations, typically due to the chain that favor some type of work over others. Example the Stihl 220 vs 200, the 220 with it's larger chain is better for dropping the tree and bigger limbs while the 200 with it's smaller chain is much better for trimming up the smaller limbs and branches. The Echo was my first cordless and it really opened a few eyes when I first used it in the two sportsmen's clubs I help out at.

The bigger issue buying a cordless saw is that you are buying into a battery system. Do the other tools using that battery work for you? Makita's dual battery system is great and versatile. Milwaukee and Dewalt are too common not to ignore. I also have Stihl's battery mower, blower and chop saw that share their 36v battery. I wish Stihl did other things like a work light and fan to take more advantage of that battery pack. The outdoor tool companies all suffer from that problem, which makes Makita, Milwaukee and Dewalt more attractive.

I wish Stihl did other things like a work light and fan to take more advantage of that battery pack. The outdoor tool companies all suffer from that problem, which makes Makita, Milwaukee and Dewalt more attractive.
I think it's a non issue, as those looking for a dedicated saw will be looking for a saw from a saw manufacture, IE Stihl and Husqvarna. The other brands are going to be bought mostly at a big box stores for trimming a few things around the house, which would make battery interchangeability very attractive. Most will be buying the $100/$150 saws, those more serous will be looking to the saw brands and won't be interested in using the battery in different tools. I would be willing to guess the electronics on the low end models will fail pretty quickly, would like to see the internals of the tools. The speed tests and whatnot are great, but what are the fail points, maybe send a couple of the saws out to AvE to have a look.

One thing somewhat glossed over in the video was weight. I had the Echo for a bit and with the battery it was as heavy 13.7lbs which is about the same as a 7900. So you have all this weight with much less capability. but than again most don't need an 80cc saw and obviously a huge price difference. Some of the other saws have more reasonable weights at around 10lbs.

They also mentioned how much the tool-less chain tensioner was preferred, made me :laughing:, so this video was obviously intended for casual light users. Good comparison video, it will get a lot of views, more power to them! I'm just not the intended market.:cheers:

There are “pro“ cordless saws on the market, and we will be seeing more. But the batteries are half of the tool, as well as half of the cost, so they are very important.

I have been stressing the “battery platform“ for several years: having compatible batteries lets me buy “bare tools“ for roughly half the price, once I have enough batteries. I share these with several other pieces of outdoor power equipment when working in my yard, as well as when primarily using the chainsaw. It brings my total cost down.

Even for business use, contractors usually find it easier to standardize on one brand, and style of battery. Same thing for landscapers, etc.

Philbert

Makita is the enigma to me. They own a 'real' chainsaw company (Dolmar). They have been a leader in battery-powered tools for 50 years (!). They make some heavy duty corded electric chainsaws. But they seem more committed to supporting their 18 Volt battery platform, than developing 'Pro-grade' battery chainsaws. Their tiny, top-handled XCU06T is a 'pro' saw, as it is intended for climbing arborists, but they have not released anything along the lines of the new Husqvarna 540I XP. Maybe they are working on it, and have not released it.

Philbert

Makita is the enigma to me. They own a 'real' chainsaw company (Dolmar). They have been a leader in battery-powered tools for 50 years (!). They make some heavy duty corded electric chainsaws. But they seem more committed to supporting their 18 Volt battery platform, than developing 'Pro-grade' battery chainsaws. Their tiny, top-handled XCU06T is a 'pro' saw, as it is intended for climbing arborists, but they have not released anything along the lines of the new Husqvarna 540I XP. Maybe they are working on it, and have not released it.

Philbert
XCU08 doesn't meet this criteria? https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/XCU08PT

They do have couple shaft attachments and power head units of two 18 volt battery or 25cc four cycle any position gasoline. Where I would like to have the motor on the end of the shaft as opposed to powering a shaft.

Whether the operator or tree professional should do something so that the battery can't get loose is something you mentioned in another thread, rather applicable for the Makita imo.

Makita has the XCU08Z which is a 36V true top handle arborist saw. It is a beast. I had the opportunity to review it back in December. You can read the full article here.
I wanted to keep this recent test to all rear handles to keep it consistent. But now I am planning to do a follow up mini Head-2-Head for strictly cordless top handle saws. Makita and Stihl are interested and I am sure Husqvarna would like to get on board. Greenworks has a dedicated Commercial line of tools and they actually have two cordless top handle saws. A 12" 48V and a 10" 40V.

I think it's a non issue, as those looking for a dedicated saw will be looking for a saw from a saw manufacture, IE Stihl and Husqvarna. The other brands are going to be bought mostly at a big box stores for trimming a few things around the house, which would make battery interchangeability very attractive. Most will be buying the $100/$150 saws, those more serous will be looking to the saw brands and won't be interested in using the battery in different tools. I would be willing to guess the electronics on the low end models will fail pretty quickly, would like to see the internals of the tools. The speed tests and whatnot are great, but what are the fail points, maybe send a couple of the saws out to AvE to have a look.

One thing somewhat glossed over in the video was weight. I had the Echo for a bit and with the battery it was as heavy 13.7lbs which is about the same as a 7900. So you have all this weight with much less capability. but than again most don't need an 80cc saw and obviously a huge price difference. Some of the other saws have more reasonable weights at around 10lbs.

They also mentioned how much the tool-less chain tensioner was preferred, made me :laughing:, so this video was obviously intended for casual light users. Good comparison video, it will get a lot of views, more power to them! I'm just not the intended market.:cheers:

I agree that the Echo is a heavy saw when loaded with a battery, but it just blew my mind how much grunt and torque the thing has. It is too heavy for anything off the ground, but that thing will cut cords of log length without batting an eye. It excels in repeated waist height cross cuts. I have a land clearing friend that is running the Echo from the test right now on a job and he loves it. He is holding the logs off the ground with the hydraulic thumb on his excavator and the Echo is doing most of the cutting. Or he is leaving it next to the chipper for cleaning things up quickly.

I am glad someone picked up on the tool free comment! I am in the tooled adjustment category too, but man the tool free is nice on some of these saws. The Stihl in particular. I think for the majority of homeowners, who will primarily be buying these saws, it makes a lot of sense. The Husqvarna, which has a tooled tensioner, was actually the only saw that gave us issues with chain tension. I had to take the cover plate off several times, clean it, and run the tensioner back and forth. It is working fine now but really ticked me off the day of testing.

XCU08 doesn't meet this criteria?
Makita has the XCU08Z which is a 36V true top handle arborist saw.
I’m familiar with that saw, and it could be a good choice for a climbing arborist. I was thinking of a 'conventional' (rear handle) chainsaw, more along the lines of those in the review, but designed to be durable enough, and powerful enough, to hold up for commercial use.

Philbert

I am looking for some more feedback from the members here regarding a future test. I am hoping to start planning out a cordless top handle saw comparison test that is more geared towards the professional arborist/tree cutter user.

What kind of testing or data would be most valuable to you?

I am thinking that things like battery recharge time and cost of battery are going to be huge factors when trying to figure out productivity and also if the initial start up costs are worth it. But what other cutting task tests would interest you the most?

Back