BATTERY POWERED CHAIN SAW

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And if course yall make it a political rant... personally, especially after having seen Treesons video, if I was still climbing I'd never take a gas saw up in the tree again. Particularly, that Milwaukee and that Husky impressed the he'll out of me, and to not be 50' up in a tree yanking on a flooded or vapor locked saw...priceless... If they can make priceless and performance competitive products I am all in, it's not like I mix 2 stroke for the fun of it, and my ears will thank me...

I'm 5 years (ish) in to having electric stuff in my arsenal. It was like most things.. What's the worst that could happen.. What could possibly go wrong? It started with an Echo trimmer, with a 56 volt battery.. Well.. only having one battery sucks, so I picked up a second battery with it. The charger ran ( barely), off the power port in my truck, so keeping a battery on the charger was easily do-able when I tried it out with my landscaping crew. And, as it was the Echo P.A.S. system, I could also use the power head of the trimmer to run other attachments. Sure, not the big ones, but it'd run most of them.

It's like drugs.. they get you hooked cheap, and then they want to sell you more! So.. Since I already have the batteries and charger, why not grab a saw? The "bare tool " was pretty cheap. But, you know what? Although it's not my "go to" saw, during the Summer.. it's my "go to " saw during the Winter, when my other Stihls and Echos have been Winterized and fogged and are put away. Toss it in the back of the truck, and forget about it.. no fuel issues, no worries about starting.. Just grab it and go, if I needed to cut up a fall, and get it out of the driveway. Even at sub zero temps, it worked fine. Just give it a bit of light duty, before beating on it, to let the battery warm itself up. No different than an I.C.E. saw needing a bit of idle time when it's colder than a witches tit.

My neighbour has a 33 cc Poulan. I've tuned it and sharpened it. The electric Echo kicks it butt under any cutting scenario, and one battery lasts about as long as a tank of fuel on the Poulan. He hates me for being right .. I hate him for thinking that a Poulan is considered a SAW. so, we're even :cool:

If I was going to upgrade to a new system.. It'd be...

https://www.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/battery-saws/msa220tco/
But, after cutting a ton of crap with the Echo, ( O.K., truth be told, I give it to people who want to help, but may be a bit clueless), the batteries are holding up just fine, and other than that it has plastic dogs, I can't find anything to complain about it, for the price point. It just effin works.

Unfortunately, for all of us, the future is electric... whether we like it .. or not..

Personally, I've learned not to tilt at windmills, as we are effed into this by C.A.R.B. , and lilly white handed tree huggers who don't understand what some of us do for a living. But, as a group, we are too dis-organized to properly lobby Government for a logical solution to the crap we're having jammed down our collective throats.

Battery operated saws, are just going to keep getting better and better.. Gas powered saws, are just going to get legislated out of existence.
THIS response from Philbert should be required reading. You homeowner, weekend warriors, with your Granddads Lilac Bush...go electric. That way, as the acceptance curve shows as positive to the gov't, the rest of us will still be felling and bucking 4' logs, while fogging mosquitoes, and actually working.

A second battery is nice, when the first one runs out of juice in the middle of a job, and you want to keep going.

Sometimes, you can buy an additional tool, for not much more than the cost of a second battery. For example, you might find a compatible string trimmer , WITH a battery and charger, for just a few dollars more than a second battery.

Or, a pole saw, hedge trimmer, leaf blower, etc.

Then you have ‘spare’ batteries for ‘both’ of your tools.

Philbert
I'm actually going through this process now for the 2nd time. I went through the process first when I started buying Dewalt battery powered tools. After +15 years, my drill is starting to get worn out so I'm moving over to Milwaukee which has always served me better anyway. So now I'm buying red tools with batteries. The saving grace is that for these 2 brands, there are cheap adapters that make the batteries interchangeable. This means I can buy the Milwaukee (tool only) to get what I really need while continuing to use the black and yellow batteries until they are worn out. When tools on the "want" list go on sale with a battery, I'll start adding red batteries. :)

The saving grace is that for these 2 brands, there are cheap adapters that make the batteries interchangeable.
That’s great! Might be a bit awkward for some situations, but great if / where it works.

If you plan on using your outdoor power tools enough, it might make sense to invest in a separate battery platform for those.

For occasional, or intermittent use, using your existing, contractor tool batteries is a good way to go.

Philbert

August Hunicke just did a few videos on the new Milwaukee. Same with Guilty of Treeson. Seems to be an impressive climbing and limbing saw. Great option for those that are invested in Milwaukee batteries.

I'm actually going through this process now for the 2nd time. I went through the process first when I started buying Dewalt battery powered tools. After +15 years, my drill is starting to get worn out so I'm moving over to Milwaukee which has always served me better anyway. So now I'm buying red tools with batteries. The saving grace is that for these 2 brands, there are cheap adapters that make the batteries interchangeable. This means I can buy the Milwaukee (tool only) to get what I really need while continuing to use the black and yellow batteries until they are worn out. When tools on the "want" list go on sale with a battery, I'll start adding red batteries. :)

Buy one get one free and a lot of free battery offers right now:

https://www.toolup.com/?utm_source=...avTmNyCYvB17eeoGblZgxrDk--N6wcC4raggM=.QJWiyY

This morning, I did my 5 battery use on my Ryobi 14" saw. Overall, I am satisfied, but, well you knew there would be a but. Twice now I have had the saw quit after cutting for maybe 20 minutes. The display on the battery is indicating "battery overheated". After removing the battery from the saw, the overall temp of the battery pack does not seem that warm, how ever, the bottom of the battery does seem quite warm. This is the area where the control circuit is. Here is a cut from a Youtube video of a 2.5AH 40V battery showing the control board.
1687891600781.png

That’s great! Might be a bit awkward for some situations, but great if / where it works.

If you plan on using your outdoor power tools enough, it might make sense to invest in a separate battery platform for those.

For occasional, or intermittent use, using your existing, contractor tool batteries is a good way to go.

Philbert
That's actually what I'm doing. I convinced my wife to buy me a Milwaukee Quiklok string trimmer with for fathers day. It came with a charger and 8 ah battery. Need to figure out how to talk her into a leaf blower next... Any new tools will be red. In addition to being better tools, I like that most of the Milwaukee lawn tools and high output power tools just take 2 of the M18 batteries instead of a unique 40v or 60v version.

I don't have any need for a battery powered chainsaw. IMHO, those are fantastic for cleaning up an occasional downed limb, or if you're doing Arial work. I've had a couple of people ask me for a recommendation on a chainsaw, and I've always pointed them towards a name brand (Dewalt, Milwaukee, ect) battery powered unit. Seems like a genuine disservice to recommend a gas saw to them. They're just going to straight gas it, or fill it with E10 and let it set for 2 years and then wonder why I recommended a saw that's so hard to start. Electric is a much better fit for them. For felling and cutting firewood (95% of what I need a chainsaw for), I don't think you'll ever beat a gas powered machine. Especially with the newer Stihl saws like the 400 and 500.

As to which battery powered saw is best? I think that will continue to change quite a bit as battery technology continues to evolve. If you "need" one, do a little research and buy something decent. It would be best if it used the same batteries as other tools you own or plan on owning. IF you're a home owner, what ever you buy will get you out of a bind when you need it. If you're an arborist, its a consumable tool. Better to get a decent unit in your hands and start working with it so you can figure out the pros and cons and what to look for in the future replacement than to sit and wait and continue to miss out on the advantages.

That's actually what I'm doing. I convinced my wife to buy me a Milwaukee Quiklok string trimmer with for fathers day. It came with a charger and 8 ah battery. Need to figure out how to talk her into a leaf blower next... Any new tools will be red. In addition to being better tools, I like that most of the Milwaukee lawn tools and high output power tools just take 2 of the M18 batteries instead of a unique 40v or 60v version.

I don't have any need for a battery powered chainsaw. IMHO, those are fantastic for cleaning up an occasional downed limb, or if you're doing Arial work. I've had a couple of people ask me for a recommendation on a chainsaw, and I've always pointed them towards a name brand (Dewalt, Milwaukee, ect) battery powered unit. Seems like a genuine disservice to recommend a gas saw to them. They're just going to straight gas it, or fill it with E10 and let it set for 2 years and then wonder why I recommended a saw that's so hard to start. Electric is a much better fit for them. For felling and cutting firewood (95% of what I need a chainsaw for), I don't think you'll ever beat a gas powered machine. Especially with the newer Stihl saws like the 400 and 500.

As to which battery powered saw is best? I think that will continue to change quite a bit as battery technology continues to evolve. If you "need" one, do a little research and buy something decent. It would be best if it used the same batteries as other tools you own or plan on owning. IF you're a home owner, what ever you buy will get you out of a bind when you need it. If you're an arborist, its a consumable tool. Better to get a decent unit in your hands and start working with it so you can figure out the pros and cons and what to look for in the future replacement than to sit and wait and continue to miss out on the advantages.
We bought Milwaukee's battery chainsaw and blower to use around the sawmill. The blower works great, the saw is a bit disappointing. The saw's chain tensioner is cheaply engineered and made. The OEM bar is made from a steel that is soft, doesn't take much to bend it out of shape. The OEM chain is also soft metal, doesn't hold an edge for long. Having said that' it is convenient around the saw mill. We also picked up the grease gun which works ok, if you get the grease cartridge to prime correctly.

I bought the Ryobi 16" brushless 40V with a chain brake. It's actually a little faster than my Echo CS-310 but you only get about 4-6 cuts in something like 15-18" dead dry Ash. I like it for clean up after storms on the farm of limbs and such. I paid $170 for it on sale with a 4.0Ah battery and a charger 2 1/2 years ago.
This is about a 16" piece of Ash.
View attachment IMG_7240.mov

Based on the research I have personally done, I think the Husqvarna 540i xp is the best electric saw option currently on the market. Plus, most of the big name youtube tree guys are using the 540i xp. There is a reason for that. I know when I eventually get an electric saw, it definitely will be the 540i xp.
Guilty of treeson just recently did a comparison video on 4 of the big saw brands. Stihl, Husqvarna, Milwaukee, and I think Marita? Check it out.
Imo the 540i xp takes the cake 🎂

I bought the Ryobi 16" brushless 40V with a chain brake. It's actually a little faster than my Echo CS-310 but you only get about 4-6 cuts in something like 15-18" dead dry Ash. I like it for clean up after storms on the farm of limbs and such. I paid $170 for it on sale with a 4.0Ah battery and a charger 2 1/2 years ago.
This is about a 16" piece of Ash.
View attachment 1093396
That’s big wood for that saw. It would excel with 4-6” limbs and branches.

Just like an MS170 can cut that stuff, it’s like towing a trailer with a Prius.

Philbert

Based on the research I have personally done, I think the Husqvarna 540i xp is the best electric saw option currently on the market. Plus, most of the big name youtube tree guys are using the 540i xp. There is a reason for that. I know when I eventually get an electric saw, it definitely will be the 540i xp.
Guilty of treeson just recently did a comparison video on 4 of the big saw brands. Stihl, Husqvarna, Milwaukee, and I think Marita? Check it out.
Imo the 540i xp takes the cake 🎂
STIHL has a new ‘PRO’ battery saw too. Also with an enhanced battery.

These saws, with appropriate battery and chargers, are $1,000+; just as PRO gas saws are.

Lots of more affordable options for average users. But, like gas saws, the cheapest will not be the best.

Philbert

I moved to a new house last year with a tiny little postage stamp of a yard, so I sold my big Husqvarna riding mower and bought 40V Ryobi tools -- mower, weedeater, hedge trimmer. Haven't bought the saw yet but that's mainly because I haven't seen one with the 4AH battery for cheap enough that I feel like the battery enhances the fleet enough to make the saw essentially free. I have enough real saws already, but the convenience of a battery is pretty seductive.

I moved to a new house last year with a tiny little postage stamp of a yard, so I sold my big Husqvarna riding mower and bought 40V Ryobi tools -- mower, weedeater, hedge trimmer. Haven't bought the saw yet but that's mainly because I haven't seen one with the 4AH battery for cheap enough that I feel like the battery enhances the fleet enough to make the saw essentially free. I have enough real saws already, but the convenience of a battery is pretty seductive.
You need to watch for sales at Direct Tool Outlet. Two days ago they had nearly everything 50% off, they had the 14" 40V with a battery for $100. Just today they're having a 50% off sale in the stores only but lots of places they don't have a store nearby. Their blemished stuff is basically new the box may have a ding but comes with a full 3 year warranty. I've had a few issues with the factory reconditioned batteries. I usually avoid the reconditioned stuff. If it's not on sale there it's not worth the effort. I've bought a lot of tools from them. 50% off is pretty rare they usually run 30-40% sales.

https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/s...vance&catalog=Outdoor Power Tools > Chainsaws

That’s big wood for that saw. It would excel with 4-6” limbs and branches.

Just like an MS170 can cut that stuff, it’s like towing a trailer with a Prius.

Philbert
I was mainly just messing with it to see how many cuts I could get with a 4Ah battery. Normally anything that size is going to be the Echo 590 or the Husky 455. I can almost fill up my 17 cu.ft. yard trailer with one battery in smaller stuff, there's 3 rows in there of not so great White Oak in the trailer.

Not too bad for someone that just had C5-C7 spine fusion last November, these were in mid Feb this year.

Attachments

• IMG_7606.jpeg
    IMG_7606.jpeg
    264.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7689.JPG (1).jpeg
    IMG_7689.JPG (1).jpeg
    570.1 KB · Views: 0
Home Depot frequently has discounts on tools, and sometimes over 50% off near big sales holidays. I'd keep an eye open coming up on Independence Day. If you see a deal, grab it. Don't think on it for a couple days, frequently the sales only last a day. Know what you want and be ready to pull the trigger.

My Kobalt 80v 18" saw has been fantastic, easily my most frequently used saw. Will cut anything a gas 18" saw will cut, just about 2/3rds as fast. I bought it for small around the house chores, but it was surprisingly capable for bucking up firewood, too. One year it cut all the firewood we burned that year.

Latest posts

Back