Looking for a new saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Used 346xp or 353 Husqvarna would be the best in my opinion, but yeah, an ms250 would do the job.
ms250 a ***** to start

I have a Husky 394xp that I really didn’t use much until I bought a Stihl MS250 as I am find the 250 a ***** to start to much compression and No Compression release! for me at 67 and now that I am 77 it was even hard to start when I was 67

I just bought an Echo 2511T-14 inch bar, (3 days ago Havent used it yet) to I currently have a Echo CS 341 -14 inch bar that I bought in 2012 Its been a great saw and I have used it a lot. I have used it many times where I could / should have used a bigger saw But it is so good and easy to handle. As soon as I use the 2511 I will report back. Right now busy weed whipping as with all this rain the grass is growing

Used to be true about the 490 but from what I've heard and read the 4910 has marked improvements over the older 490.

These guys come on here hell bent on a top handle saw then they just.. disappear... You don't suppose if we checked the local 911 records....
I like top-handle saws as I'm tall and the ground is a long way off, so limbing is easier with a light top-handle saw. I too think the rear-handle saws are pretty wonky unless cutting at chest or waist height. I am not arguing the safety aspect and appreciate rear-handles on bigger saws.

I have longer bars on newer (rear-handled) saws for limbing, all that eventually translates to more weight and is more awkward to carry one-handed (I don't saw one-handed). And then there's the need for a chain brake for carrying one-handed with a rear-handled saw, though I'm not arguing the safety aspect is appreciated when cutting.

How is the 261 different from the 251? There's almost a $250 difference.
I've looked at the 201 and those look nice, but again more saw that I probably need.

So i'll revise the question- What is a good saw, up to $400 with a 16-18" bar for use on pine trees at high altitude, and used 4-5 days per year?
Clone 200T with a muffler mod with a decent fuel line and impulse hose preferably OEM. Runs a 12-18" bar. Be smart and put the 14" on it.
Your price point needs to double for a clean used OEM one in decent running condition.

I have the 435 and it outlasted the 017-180 and the 210. You can add a bucking spike to the 435. It works fine if you keep it sharp. Have had no issues with this Lil trim saw 16" 325 nk. Mine is bone stock for 8" or less hardwood. It will handle 14-16" softwood. It is very dependable for a big box store turd.

I realize how old this thread is but new members are reading this.

Few fall into the 400 budget posted.
Echo was on sale at HL Supply, shipped they were (perhaps still are) 15% less than I could get them locally. Echo is like 20-year-old technology, mid-tier saws so they have to be tuned manually, but there are no electronic brains to fail sometime in the future. Lots of plastic but they're reliable and parts are inexpensive and available.

The STIHL MS 250? was recently $300 new, discussed here on AS. Another mid-tier saw that will last, but parts are only available from dealers.

Husqvarna unfortunately seems to have moved production to China after shutting down loads of manufacturong plants, the new ones are hit-or-miss on quality (typical for China), and parts prices are outrageous.

The STIHL PRO-tier saws are awesome but there's no touching them under what, $600 at least? Super light, powerful, long- lasting, lots of conveniences but figure a MS 260 is around $800 USD.

Echo. If I didn't have saw ownership issues I'd buy Echo.

Back