Engine questions for saws.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amlandscaper

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys. Looking at getting a saw and spending a good deal learning about them beforehand. I've read that top handle saws are usually more powerful, but looking at Echo's line I got confused.

The cs355t has a smaller engine than the cs4010. The cs is also more expensive. Can anyone tell me why a smaller engine is more expensive?

I like the idea of a top handle since I have trees and bushes running a fence line I need to clear and I hear they are easier to maneuver.

Also, if anyone has any recommendations on good top handles that don't break the bank I'm all ears.

Thanks.

The CS355t is a professional grade chainsaw and Echo's most powerful top-handle. Arborist saws are designed a little differently compared to standard chain saws for more ergonomics and balance to make it easier working in trees (though you can use it with one hand, it is still advised to use two hands). The price difference for arborist saws is not unique to Echo, you will find the same thing with Stihl and Husqvarna arborist saws to. $350-$450 is about average for the smaller arborist saws brand new. If you are looking for a deal, yard sales are sometimes are a great place to get a saw cheaply. Good luck!

The CS355t is a professional grade chainsaw and Echo's most powerful top-handle. Arborist saws are designed a little differently compared to standard chain saws for more ergonomics and balance to make it easier working in trees (though you can use it with one hand, it is still advised to use two hands). The price difference for arborist saws is not unique to Echo, you will find the same thing with Stihl and Husqvarna arborist saws to. $350-$450 is about average for the smaller arborist saws brand new. If you are looking for a deal, yard sales are sometimes are a great place to get a saw cheaply. Good luck!
So even though it has a smaller engine, it is more expensive since it is more niche?

So even though it has a smaller engine, it is more expensive since it is more niche?
Typically you will pay more when the saw companies stick a lot of horse power in small packages compared to similar power in a larger saw. One example I can think of is the MS 261 vs MS 311, the 261 is a 4 horsepower saw that weighs about 10 pounds where the MS 311 is a 4.02 horsepower saw that weighs 13 pounds. The 261 is a professional series while the 311 is a homeowner series. Sometimes the smaller engines don't necessarily mean less power as the MS 261 has more power than the MS 271 and MS 291 which are roughly the same size and form factor.

Some of the price you are looking at is for the top-handle style (balance, weight, ease of use in tight areas) and for a small and powerful engine. Hefting around an 8 lb saw for a while is a lot easier and less tiresome than doing the same thing with a larger, but just as powerful standard style saw with a larger engine.

Typically you will pay more when the saw companies stick a lot of horse power in small packages compared to similar power in a larger saw. One example I can think of is the MS 261 vs MS 311, the 261 is a 4 horsepower saw that weighs about 10 pounds where the MS 311 is a 4.02 horsepower saw that weighs 13 pounds. The 261 is a professional series while the 311 is a homeowner series. Sometimes the smaller engines don't necessarily mean less power as the MS 261 has more power than the MS 271 and MS 291 which are roughly the same size and form factor.

Some of the price you are looking at is for the top-handle style (balance, weight, ease of use in tight areas) and for a small and powerful engine. Hefting around an 8 lb saw for a while is a lot easier and less tiresome than doing the same thing with a larger, but just as powerful standard style saw with a larger engine.
Thanks a bunch brother! I have an echo trimmer and love it. I also have a stihl blower/ vacuum and love it (starts instantly everytime). Any brand more reliable/ user friendly than another? Would like something that I can work on myself.

Hey guys. Looking at getting a saw and spending a good deal learning about them beforehand. I've read that top handle saws are usually more powerful, but looking at Echo's line I got confused.

The cs355t has a smaller engine than the cs4010. The cs is also more expensive. Can anyone tell me why a smaller engine is more expensive?

I like the idea of a top handle since I have trees and bushes running a fence line I need to clear and I hear they are easier to maneuver.

Also, if anyone has any recommendations on good top handles that don't break the bank I'm all ears.

Thanks.
well... yes the top handled saws can be slightly more powerfull then a similar sized standard saw, its not always the case.
but there is also the matter of how you intend to use said saw, top handle saws 'appear" to be more maneuverable, but are in fact more dangerous because of this, They are meant to be used while suspended in a tree or one handing them. while a standard saw pretty much requires both hands for safe use (you can totally one hand most smaller saws, its just not real wise, and a great way to lose a leg)
Standard saws come in bigger versions too, making quicker work of your projects, with the added benefit that generally are less fatiguing to operate because you are using both hands. A top handle saw is awkward with both hands (maybe cause I have massive mitts?)
You might find a larger, standard saw to be less expensive, and more powerful as well as easier to operate.

:yes: i really like my small Echo 271T. a real workhorse of a saw. i use it primarily. starts easy. easy to maintain. and has plenty of power. it cuts up to 10"wood easily... and larger if i ask it to. 15-18" no problem. it like the chain to be kept sharp! my wood cutting is mostly just for fireplace wood. outside and inside. i have 7 fireplaces and all are wood burners.

1691992891582.png

Thanks a bunch brother! I have an echo trimmer and love it. I also have a stihl blower/ vacuum and love it (starts instantly everytime). Any brand more reliable/ user friendly than another? Would like something that I can work on myself.
i have an Echo SRM 266T trimmer (comml) really like it. fires right up! and is quite the workhorse. helps keep fence line weeds/grass in line up at ranch... and my city home lawn nicely trimmed n edged.
1691993230005.png

Thanks everyone. I have one tree that needs to come down soon, I'll take a pic later and give measurements. But the trees where I am are all similar in size. Would like to get a saw that I can climb up and get the branches and use to fell said tree.

Also, what do I so about the stump once tree is all chopped down?

Thanks everyone. I have one tree that needs to come down soon, I'll take a pic later and give measurements. But the trees where I am are all similar in size. Would like to get a saw that I can climb up and get the branches and use to fell said tree.

Simple you can rent a larger saw from Home Depot.

simple, as l w says. get a stump grinder guy to stop by, or rent one.

If you don’t already own a chainsaw, highly recommend you don’t buy a top handle saw as your first chainsaw, and STRONGLY advise against even considering climbing trees (with or without a ladder) and cutting limbs with a chainsaw.

There are plenty of rear handle homeowner saws designed for exactly what you need to do, that will be a lot better suited than a top handle arborist saw - safer and more affordable too.

Also, you mentioned wanting a saw you can work on. Typical top handle saws have a lot crammed into a small package, making them much more challenging to work on.

Yeah, +1 on that. A top handle is a very purpose built saw, the race car of saws, so to speak, not a good choice for a first saw.
As far as climbing, just no. I wouldn't even let any of my guys touch a top handle or think about training them to climb without at least 6 months ground experience.

20230814_183725.jpg

The tree is maybe 20 ft tall. Branches at its thickest point maybe 6 or so inches. My medium sized hand for reference.

I'm older in years for a first time home owner, not a kid who hasn't used small engine equipment before. Just looking to get something that will complete this whole job and manage other trees/ bushes around the property.

Attachments

• 20230814_183744.jpg
    20230814_183744.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
I definitely would not recommend a top handle saw on that tree for an inexperienced user, the chance for kickback is too great.
As far as having used small engine equipment before, that has nothing to do with operating chainsaws. Chainsaws operate and react unlike any other tool... that's what makes them so dangerous.

I definitely would not recommend a top handle saw on that tree for an inexperienced user, the chance for kickback is too great.
As far as having used small engine equipment before, that has nothing to do with operating chainsaws. Chainsaws operate and react unlike any other tool... that's what makes them so dangerous.
So you don't have any recomendation at all then?

A chainsaw can't be anymore dangerous than warfare, but thank you for your concern. Since you are unaware of my background, I'd ask that you'd please treat me with respect. I am asking for advice on what to buy to accomplish a task, not what not to buy. Thank you.

So you don't have any recomendation at all then?

A chainsaw can't be anymore dangerous than warfare, but thank you for your concern. Since you are unaware of my background, I'd ask that you'd please treat me with respect. I am asking for advice on what to buy to accomplish a task, not what not to buy. Thank you.
Respectfully, that's ignorant AF.

I'm not going to get too down in the weeds on this, because this isn't a genital measuring contest. However, I used to wear a CIB and jump wings on my chest. Made it through 29 months of deployments without losing a drop of blood. Then a year after I retired, I cut off two fingers in a table saw accident... despite having probably used table saws for 20 years, and believing I was a safe table saw operator.

I don't know, and 100% do not care what your background is. The level of ignorance it takes to assume all danger is the same, relative, or that experience in one dangerous area makes you knowledgable and prepared for dangers of any and every kind, is truly astonishing.

That you feel some supposed level of combat experience puts you above the dangers of operating the most dangerous types of chain saw, when it really is not suited for the job, despite having none, or minimal chainsaw experience, tells me everything I need to know.

You're looking for a recommendation?
https://www.amazon.com/Bahco-10-30-...locphy=9017242&hvtargid=pla-420390031806&th=1
Oh, and since apparently no one has told you this yet... No one gives a crap about your military service. Especially not on an arborist site. Stop looking for reasons to bring it up.

A few humble suggestions, if I may. I would suggest one of three approaches to that tree:
First, hire somebody. A good tree service will not only remove the tree but the stump as well and leave almost no mess.
Second, rent a saw.
Third, go down to Home Depot and buy a CS-310, a gallon of bar oil, and a gallon of premixed Red Armor fuel. Then watch a few videos on chainsaw safety and go to town. I hate to say it but one of the cordless saws might be ideal for you. The CS-310 on the other hand is way more satisfying to run and it could be a good investment if you live in an area where trees come down during storm season. A top handle saw is a specialized tool. I'm not saying you can't handle it, I'm just suggesting it isn't the right tool for your needs. In your case you can spend less and get more, in a sense.

I'm sure you didn't deploy without training, and yet you seem to have zero respect for this industry or the tools we use.

Incidentally, if you own a gun and a chainsaw, statistically speaking you are much more likely to end up in the hospital using the chainsaw than your firearm. Given your lack of respect for the tool, no I really don't think I do have any recommendations for you.

Thank you for your service.

I've used chainsaws for years. I don't climb but have used a top handled saw once, never again, the thing terrifies me. The safest thing about a standard chainsaw is the fact you need to have both hands on the saw. I think top handled saws should be reserved for experienced climbers and no one else.

For the tree in the picture, I'd rent a chainsaw or use a bowsaw with a new blade.

Latest posts

Back