Stihl restricted air system?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul1980

Reaction score
Okay so I've always used Stihl for my personal use. Fire wood, trimming trees. I work at a lawnmower/ tractor repair shop. And a professional tree trimmer stopped in to buy a new Husqvarna. And he said he ran Stihl for years until he realized that Stihl air system restricts there power?? He said Husqvarna will bury the Stihls
in the cut?? This is not an option. We sell Husqvarna saw and I think they are really tough powerful saws. But I'm thinking of buying a Husqvarna as a back up saw. I've got a Stihl 192T MS290 Ms362. And several old Homelites that I thought I would port and polish. But don't feel like I have time for that. Bring on your thoughts, opinions please.

I've always been a die hard Stihl guy bought my first husky a few weeks ago, so far pretty happy and impressed by that little husky. What size saw are you thinking about?

Okay so I've always used Stihl for my personal use. Fire wood, trimming trees. I work at a lawnmower/ tractor repair shop. And a professional tree trimmer stopped in to buy a new Husqvarna. And he said he ran Stihl for years until he realized that Stihl air system restricts there power?? He said Husqvarna will bury the Stihls
in the cut?? This is not an option. We sell Husqvarna saw and I think they are really tough powerful saws. But I'm thinking of buying a Husqvarna as a back up saw. I've got a Stihl 192T MS290 Ms362. And several old Homelites that I thought I would port and polish. But don't feel like I have time for that. Bring on your thoughts, opinions please.
There are saws on both sides that are choked out in some sort of fashion so to say one brand will bury the other just isn't true. It all boils down to emissions getting more strict every year and manufacturers coming up with ways to pass them. People complain alot about the newer saw technology and engineering because there so used to the old basic stuff that you can do a simple muffler mod and woods port to and have a good runner. These new ones take a bit more knowledge, experience and planning to modify correctly. But when there done right they have much larger gains then there predecessors. Im in my mid 30s and as a highly trained and skilled motorcycle technician with 15 years doing it professionally like the fact that there's more that needs to be calculated when building a good new generation saw. There's things I've done I haven't heard anyone ever even mention of doing to a saw that to me is just plain common comprehension of how the saws parts all have to work together in sync. You can't just do one thing and not have the rest of everything going like wtf Jim over there is on another level how do we keep up to where there just fighting eachother and accomplishing little to no gain in performance. Power equipment is very basic to me coming from building full on blueprinted 4 cylinder race bike motors for the moto America Supersport class among others.

There are saws on both sides that are choked out in some sort of fashion so to say one brand will bury the other just isn't true.

+1

To the OP: all across the US there are pros running modern Sthil saws...and, pros running modern Husky. You think half the professional users are all wrong because some tree-trimmer-guy says so?

In any particular size-class, at any particulr time, one brand of saw has the best power/weight...that's just physics. Ha.

But, the truth is, dealer support or personal-egnomics generally outweighs P/W when you are talking pro saws...Stihl, Husky, J-red, Dolmar, Echo.

Sure...buy a back-up Husky...why not...you get a deal working at the dealer, right?

Roy

+1

To the OP: all across the US there are pros running modern Sthil saws...and, pros running modern Husky. You think half the professional users are all wrong because some tree-trimmer-guy says so?

In any particular size-class, at any particulr time, one brand of saw has the best power/weight...that's just physics. Ha.

But, the truth is, dealer support or personal-egnomics generally outweighs P/W when you are talking pro saws...Stihl, Husky, J-red, Dolmar, Echo.

Sure...buy a back-up Husky...why not...you get a deal working at the dealer, right?

Roy
Hey thanks. Yes that makes sense. And I always enjoy learning. I'm fairly new to small engine. Been in the automotive and high horse tractor world as a mechanic. The tree trimmer guy was nice but looking back now maybe he was a little opinionated? Which makes it kinda hard to learn. We must all stay humble in life. Thanks again for your info.

I've always been a die hard Stihl guy bought my first husky a few weeks ago, so far pretty happy and impressed by that little husky. What size saw are you thinking about?
Not sure. I've got so many things going on in my life right now. House to work on, garden to put, children to nurture, ECT. And the good Lord blessed me with a brain that takes that in small quantities. 😂 Got a suggestion?

The tree trimmer guy was nice but looking back now maybe he was a little opinionated?

Maybe.

I once worked with a guy who said he hated Huskys. I said, "Why's that?"

He said, "I once took the top cover of a Husky off, and it didn't look anything like a Stihl."

That is, of course, not "opinionated"...it's just "stupid."

R.

Latest posts

Back