Brand Blindness

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just something I been curious about. Lets say they are all FD oils to cut the chase. Dino oil the cheapest, Semi dino blend synthetic is blended with dino to make it more affordable per oil companies. Synthetic should be the most expense.

So why is it some semi blends cost so much more then 100% synthetic oils?
Info straight from oil company.

Mineral-based 2 Stroke Oil​

Mineral-based 2 stroke oil, also known as conventional or regular oil, is derived from petroleum. It is a cost-effective option and suitable for older or low-performance two-stroke engines. While mineral-based oil provides adequate lubrication, it may have limited resistance to high temperatures

Semi-synthetic 2 Stroke Oil​

Semi-synthetic 2 stroke oil combines the benefits of mineral-based and synthetic oils. It is a blend of petroleum-based and synthetic components, striking a balance between cost-effectiveness and improved performance. Semi-synthetic oil offers better lubrication and protection compared to mineral-based oil while being more affordable than full synthetic oil.

Synthetic 2 Stroke Oil​

Synthetic 2 stroke oil is engineered using synthesized chemicals, offering superior performance and protection. It is designed to withstand higher temperatures, providing enhanced lubrication and reducing engine wear. Synthetic oil also offers better resistance to oxidation and degradation, making it suitable for high-performance engines or engines operating in extreme conditions.
This reads more like marketing wanketeering, meant to justify charging more for synthetic oils.

Very different than an engineering paper showing why or if synthetics are better, and why and in what applications.

This reads more like marketing wanketeering, meant to justify charging more for synthetic oils.

Very different than an engineering paper showing why or if synthetics are better, and why and in what applications.
The additive package is likely more important than the base stock. Although a poor base is not worth enhancing I'd bet it happens more then we think.

But that is just it. In FD rated oils I can buy 100% synthetic oils cheaper then the over priced semi dino synthetic blended oil.

Thats what I am getting at. Both FD but the semi blend is way higher. Dont make sense when they say it should be other way around.
Sounds like the semi blend is getting rich on profits of its marketing. ;)
:cheers:

I haven't paid attention to synthetic vs. blend vs dino for years. My two strokes get JASO FD and that's all the thought I give it. How the manufacturer gets there is beyond my caring.

Same with my four strokes, they get the cheapest oil that meets spec. Buy it cheap, stack it deep, change it often. Clean cheap oil is better than dirty expensive oil.

But that is just it. In FD rated oils I can buy 100% synthetic oils cheaper then the over priced semi dino synthetic blended oil.

Thats what I am getting at. Both FD but the semi blend is way higher. Dont make sense when they say it should be other way around.
Sounds like the semi blend is getting rich on profits of its marketing. ;)
:cheers:
Has it occurred to you that maybe the more expensive syn blend is better?

Since toasting those two saws (P41 and 10-10S) I have changed my mix to 32:1 for piece of mind. Admittedly I haven't had one of the newer electronic saws but that could definitely sway my loyalty if it proved to be more trouble than its worth.

About three years ago I was in the market and was looking for a 50cc saw. I visited my local stihl dealer. The model I was looking at was the 271.I requested a RS chain and he went ballistic. telling me that he was not allowed to sell this chain because of the law. I told him he was full of it. I liked the saw. It was well balanced with a 16BC. Well this individual proceeded to tell me that if I used other than Stihl oil that the warranty would be invalid. Anyway I wound up purchasing a Echo CS590. More saw for the same price. I have not looked back since.

About three years ago I was in the market and was looking for a 50cc saw. I visited my local stihl dealer. The model I was looking at was the 271.I requested a RS chain and he went ballistic. telling me that he was not allowed to sell this chain because of the law. I told him he was full of it. I liked the saw. It was well balanced with a 16BC. Well this individual proceeded to tell me that if I used other than Stihl oil that the warranty would be invalid. Anyway I wound up purchasing a Echo CS590. More saw for the same price. I have not looked back since.

Man my day job is sales, and this kind of crap annoys me to no end. I hope you bought that Echo from a different dealer.

I try to give the benefit of the doubt, maybe he was just dumb and honestly believed the crap he was telling you and wasn't just lying. Even so, he's a dealer and that's the product he sells, he should know better. At the absolute least, when a paying customer tells him he's full of it, he should look into it and verify.

Man my day job is sales, and this kind of crap annoys me to no end. I hope you bought that Echo from a different dealer.

I try to give the benefit of the doubt, maybe he was just dumb and honestly believed the crap he was telling you and wasn't just lying. Even so, he's a dealer and that's the product he sells, he should know better. At the absolute least, when a paying customer tells him he's full of it, he should look into it and verify.
This individual was terminated a short time after our meeting. I still visit this dealer from time to time. I get 15% off parts being a disabled vet. And yes I do use Stihl parts when needed. Like replacing a oil pump on a 029 just recently.

Mather 76-80 Seymour Johnson 80-82 March 82-85 Griffis 85-89
Only 1 SAC here Malmstrom MT. Then USAFE Turkey and TAC Langley VA. 83-87 you stayed in longer then me.
Something told my pea brain to get out and dont reenlist before heading back over to Saudi. I seen why later in first ordeal we had with saddaum. If that was my gut feeling.

Wouldnt trade that experience for anything today.

Latest posts

Back