Great Service!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stillhunter

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
My 11 yr Ms291 has been to a shop one time, prolly 5 yrs ago for a check and tune. That shop is gone now. Months ago I noticed it was running a but rough but kept running. It got a lil worse so I took it the local Stihl tech guy @ Northerntool in Cary. A guy behind the window to the engine parts/etc. He said they were a month out for working on any engine. While I talked to him the Stihl mechanic walked up and I told him it's running rough and I need it now. He grabbed it and cranked it and ran it about 3 mins. and adjusted the carb and now it's running great again. I asked what's the cost? He said nothing and I told him I got cash, he wood'nt take it. Eddie @ NT is great guy !

Hope the adjustment didn't just cover up another problem - like an air leak. I would pull the muffler and check the piston for signs of scoring and do a vac/pressure test if possible.
Correct. THese saws have transfer port covers that are glued in place. If you overheat the engine the glue softens and the port cover comes loose creating an air leak that usually kills the saw.

Nice guy! I’d book it in for a months time for a full once over as it has been a 5 years. Use it in the mean time but keep a close eye on it. If it hasn’t been tuned in 5 years then it’s due some love :)

Drop back in there with a little thank you gift. Be it a crate of beers, voucher for a restaurant etc. It’s always handy to form a good relationship with your local mechanics and other tradesmen.

Latest posts

Back