My Stihl Rant

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruiser1

ArboristSite Member
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
By and large I'm a Stihl guy. Don't get me wrong, I like Husky also ,as long as it's XP stuff. Sold 441 bought 362 going over it I found it to be a pain in the ass removing the cylinder cover. First of all you need a screwdriver or a scrunchie to get it off is Stihl trying to piss us off I thought they did away with using tools to take off covers I like the idea of just having a knob clip or something to remove the covers. Now if you say it's a sealing problem I believe it would seal just as well with a knob or a clip.
Second thing tool bag years ago Stihl used to make woven tool bags and they were nice they were quality made then they went to those plastic pouches when it got cold they would crack and they were terrible they didn't last long, now they give you a cloth bag come on Stihl we're spending 4,5,6,7,8,9,$1,000 on these saws.
Thirdly, Dealers what can I say some are good most are crap when Stihl started putting dealers in Ace hardware stores that's a problem. The Ace employees are not dedicated just to the Stihl so you might get a guy that was in paint one day or in sewer pipe and the next day he's back at the counter at the Stihl counter, what the hell. Stihl screwed up but not letting the dealerships go to power equipment guys and small engine shops. People eating breathing small engines two-cycle engines power equipment mowers snow blowers riding mowers and alike. People are more knowledgeable about engines.
Anyway, I thought I'd just give my two on this

Been there, done that. I Stihl (pardon the pun) have the hat.
I did the silver technician thing, but when the store was converting to ACE...
I was sort of pushed out the door.
Correct assessment, there are very few in that store that know small engines, service procedures, etc,
The other day I wanted some orange bottle bar oil... What's on the shelf out front? Blue (expensive) cold stuff.
I sauntered back to the pile that I stocked on the high shelf, and pulled me a case down...

It is sad...

Well you did own a 441.
Then you went and bought a saw off the shelf, paid the money for it, took it home and then discovered no easy access to the air filter?
Does anyone actually use a Stihl tool kit bag in the field?

All pretty minor for me, I grew up in the era where filter access was most likely goverened by at least one screw- usually 3 and never used a factory tool kit in the field.
Over here it is the other way around, lots of Husqvarna dealers double as some kind of ATV and motorcycle shop- luckily out Stihl shops are still Stihl shops. :laugh:

By and large I'm a Stihl guy. Don't get me wrong, I like Husky also ,as long as it's XP stuff. Sold 441 bought 362 going over it I found it to be a pain in the ass removing the cylinder cover. First of all you need a screwdriver or a scrunchie to get it off is Stihl trying to piss us off I thought they did away with using tools to take off covers I like the idea of just having a knob clip or something to remove the covers. Now if you say it's a sealing problem I believe it would seal just as well with a knob or a clip.
Second thing tool bag years ago Stihl used to make woven tool bags and they were nice they were quality made then they went to those plastic pouches when it got cold they would crack and they were terrible they didn't last long, now they give you a cloth bag come on Stihl we're spending 4,5,6,7,8,9,$1,000 on these saws.
Thirdly, Dealers what can I say some are good most are crap when Stihl started putting dealers in Ace hardware stores that's a problem. The Ace employees are not dedicated just to the Stihl so you might get a guy that was in paint one day or in sewer pipe and the next day he's back at the counter at the Stihl counter, what the hell. Stihl screwed up but not letting the dealerships go to power equipment guys and small engine shops. People eating breathing small engines two-cycle engines power equipment mowers snow blowers riding mowers and alike. People are more knowledgeable about engines.
Anyway, I thought I'd just give my two on this
I live in a small town if ace wasn't here i would not have a dealer. They carry a good line of stihl and echo equipment. They have a rental shop and do repairs too. A few of the guys cut and burn wood and are quite knowledgeable. I do my own research and probably know more about the saws then the sales people. I went to a small engine shop to check out husky, the guy didnt seem to know much and insisted the 372 was the professional model and the 572 the homeowner model. I went back to the hardware store and got a stihl.

I live in a small town if ace wasn't here i would not have a dealer. They carry a good line of stihl and echo equipment. They have a rental shop and do repairs too. A few of the guys cut and burn wood and are quite knowledgeable. I do my own research and probably know more about the saws then the sales people. I went to a small engine shop to check out husky, the guy didnt seem to know much and insisted the 372 was the professional model and the 572 the homeowner model. I went back to the hardware store and got a stihl.
Same here. There are zero dedicated saw shops in the Boise area…none. So, the Stihl and/or Husqvarna dealers are now Ace hardware or a local farm store, D&B. The one I get everything from is great! They are,however, hamstrung by both Husqvarna and Stihl and do the best that they can.
it is what it is.

I’m a former Snapon dealer and there was a little push to put a few things into auto parts stores. Gloves, knives and the like. Brand recognition is a real goal to be successful in a market that lives and dies by thin margins. A lot of dealers were upset but once they saw the limited items and understood the goals of the move, all was ok.

In the case of Ace and RK carrying Stihl, I’m ok with it if minimum distance to full service dealers is maintained and price tiers are consistent place to place. Our local Stihl dealer is a green tractor place and they are less than great. RK is not too far and I like their Stihl section and the employees are helpful.

Quality varies by individual dealer, and my experience is that being part of another store doesn't influence that in either direction, good or bad.

My local Ace has a legit repair shop, with a red bearded Viking looking guy running the place. He knows his stuff and I'd let him work on my stuff any time.

The Coastal where I bought my 500i was a joke. I'd put him to work alphabetizing the M&M's.

Next two closest dealers are stand alone dealers. One is also a joke, can't even order parts right. The other knows his stuff, is always busy, well organized, parts in stock, and takes care of all the local loggers and tree farms.

An equipment dealer 5 minutes from me just put up a Husqvarna sign. I need to stop in there sometime.

Stihl dealers in my area out number drug stores. Sad really. Like 6 of them around here. Heck they are in Ace Hardware. Rural King stores, JD, Kubota, etc etc.

Hard to find one with a good knowledge tech to even talk to anymore. Most are just salesman IMHO.

rks.jpg

Rural king has a good tech here the green tractor place not so. Ace caters to the homeowner and weekend warrior with no tech on duty.
The husqvarna / redmax dealer stays swamped and services the loggers and other they are ok.
Echo / can am / gravely dealer is my place to go with reasonable prices knowledgeable staff and a dam good tech on duty.

I guess as luck would have it my Stihl dealer sells a lot of different equipment. They make most of their bucks on Polaris and D.R and small Honda equipment. It's family owned since around the early 80's. There are 3 Ace hardware stores within 40 miles of my location. I have bought a lot of firearms and ammo from them over the years. I've known the owner of the Stihl store since a teenager he gives me good deals on everything. Dedicated customer. Happy Harvesting

My experience from any local dealer. I was only buying parts if someone was a head of me I would go unnoticed for a long time and felt like I was a curse when ask for help. All parts are bought on line now. I get a nice letter getting a thank you. I never had any luck with Stihl . I will work on them . And never own one

Cloth bag? I've never heard of this... I've done business with several local Stihl dealers, all reputable and upstanding businesses of note in the community, catering primarily to professionals, good (though not particularly noteworthy) maintainers and repairers of equipment (though biased toward lawn implements), etc.; yet, I've only ever received tools in the Stihl part bag (usually in a larger bag with the receipt).

Have a part number?

My local Ace has two dedicated Stihl guys (usually one working at a time). Every Stihl question gets them rung to the front. Good place, good folks.

Rural King has a great selection, but I haven't shopped there. Saw (among others) an 881, a 500I, a 201C-EM (rear handle), and a 151TC last time I was there. Not often you see all those in one place around here.

Save your rant. Stihl sells to "dealerships" who have 80-100K to give them for stock. If your not that person your wasting your time. Ace here is a joke and has what they have out front on the store shelves. Their other target is Ace hardware with the old rental place next door or outback for outdoor equipment. They never rent Stihl stuff just Makita until they went under so no more saw rentals there. The parts changers that maintain rental equipment aren't getting any better is my best guess when you have minimum wage employees who turnover like I change my socks.
"Dealership!" 🤣

Latest posts

Back