Brand Blindness

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'll start by saying that I own gas power tools from various manufacturers -- Husqvarna, Stihl, Echo, etc. I've owned Fords, Chevy's, Hondas, Toyotas, Subuarus, etc. I consider myself to be brand "open" and not brand "blind". So, I went over to the local Stihl dealer to buy a new FC 111 straight-shaft edger. Yes, I realize it's still winter, but I hadn't purchased any gas-powered equipment for several months so decided to scratch that itch.

I walked around the shop and looked at the 500i, the 462 and the 661. I asked the dude there a few polite questions and how the saws compared to the 572XP, and 592XP. Dude immediately went into a long-winded bashing of everything that wasn't a Stihl product. Lots of anecdotal stories about non-Stihl saws blowing up, parts problems, dangerous conditions, etc. He also claimed that Stihl out-sold the other pro saws 10 to 1. Right.

I got bored of the Stihl infomercial, so I went over to the trimmers and edgers. I told the guy I wanted the FC 111 and he immediately went into "up-sell" mode. I got the sales pitch on Stihl Motomix and Ultra oil. I politely declined. He then pressured me several times and asked what type of fuel and oil I was using. I told him: ethanol-free. Red Armor. Klotz. TruFuel 2-cycle. Again...stories of failures due to bad fuel and bad oil. He also hinted that I needed to run Motomix and Ultra so that any potential warranty issues would not be questioned by Stihl. Right. I asked him if he was aware that Stihl did not make the Ultra and that it was produced by a third-party refiner / blender / packager? Dude was unconvinced. I told him that I had 20 years in the petroleum business and that I was confident in my information. Nope. Dude says: "If it ain't Stihl, it ain't worth buying." Right.

I bought the FC 111 anyway.

Thanks, Captain Stihl.

JQ

Im in the habit of just putting 100ml of synthetic 2t oil and a splash of fuel stabaliser in a fuel can, then just pump in 5 litres of (e10?) petrol at the fuel station

no problems yet and everything starts and runs well, even with fuel left in them for long periods of time

The dealer might be right. I'd like a smaller 40 or 50 cc saw. I've always had Stihl but the husky 540 or 550 look pretty nice, but I keep seeing all these crank shaft bearing and seal problems. Makes me scared to buy one.

The sales staff on the floor of a dealership are there for one reason and it is not for their knowledge of all models in the lineup. They are there to make sales and will push the models that sell the most. When I have gone in to local dealerships I have been regaled with salespersons trying to sell me a MS170 since that is the saw Stihl has fronted by putting it on a ,sale, even adding things like hardhats gloves and tools like files, scrench etc to make the saws more appealing to the uninitiated. When I have been approached by a sales staff person trying the ,you should buy a MS170 I sort of chuckle and say no thanks I do not need a toy saw. The parts counter guys know me and that I have plenty of PRO saw models, they won`t try selling me on a small homeowner grade saw, they just take my order for parts and we may chat about the newest PRO saws that are on the shelves. Buying one of the very first saws of any new models is not for me, just to have one to brag about, nope, I will wait for that saw to be out long enough for it to have the bugs worked out first, I don`t need to be their guineapig .

My dealer knows his stuff. Now some of his workers, maybe. I’m pretty much brand insensitive. Just want a good product for a good price.

I'll start by saying that I own gas power tools from various manufacturers -- Husqvarna, Stihl, Echo, etc. I've owned Fords, Chevy's, Hondas, Toyotas, Subuarus, etc. I consider myself to be brand "open" and not brand "blind". So, I went over to the local Stihl dealer to buy a new FC 111 straight-shaft edger. Yes, I realize it's still winter, but I hadn't purchased any gas-powered equipment for several months so decided to scratch that itch.

I walked around the shop and looked at the 500i, the 462 and the 661. I asked the dude there a few polite questions and how the saws compared to the 572XP, and 592XP. Dude immediately went into a long-winded bashing of everything that wasn't a Stihl product. Lots of anecdotal stories about non-Stihl saws blowing up, parts problems, dangerous conditions, etc. He also claimed that Stihl out-sold the other pro saws 10 to 1. Right.

I got bored of the Stihl infomercial, so I went over to the trimmers and edgers. I told the guy I wanted the FC 111 and he immediately went into "up-sell" mode. I got the sales pitch on Stihl Motomix and Ultra oil. I politely declined. He then pressured me several times and asked what type of fuel and oil I was using. I told him: ethanol-free. Red Armor. Klotz. TruFuel 2-cycle. Again...stories of failures due to bad fuel and bad oil. He also hinted that I needed to run Motomix and Ultra so that any potential warranty issues would not be questioned by Stihl. Right. I asked him if he was aware that Stihl did not make the Ultra and that it was produced by a third-party refiner / blender / packager? Dude was unconvinced. I told him that I had 20 years in the petroleum business and that I was confident in my information. Nope. If it ain't Stihl, it ain't worth buying.

I bought the FC 111 anyway.

Thanks, Captain Stihl.

JQ
So one of our local dealers moved out near you that's not a surprise

Im in the habit of just putting 100ml of synthetic 2t oil and a splash of fuel stabaliser in a fuel can, then just pump in 5 litres of (e10?) petrol at the fuel station

no problems yet and everything starts and runs well, even with fuel left in them for long periods of time
Give that E10 three years to work on your fuel lines and parts. You'll see. I run enough of it to never store anything with that crap in it long term or use Stihl lubricants.

Yup, an all-brand user but mostly Stihl and I don't drink the coolaide or listen to that much BS at a dealer like the OP did.

Don't forget the 1st gen 462s . Pistons turning into grenades
Or the inside out 661 intake boots. The Mtron 1 was a fail in about half the models with serious tuning issues. My first Gen V one 362 just off idol surges like a blown nitro burner or overdriven blowers in alcohol cars 🤣
Can't really complain because that's all it does wrong. It was ran over before I got it so that didn't fix it either. The 362 carb saw stomps on it.

Give that E10 three years to work on your fuel lines and parts. You'll see. I run enough of it to never store anything with that crap in it long term or use Stihl lubricants.

Yup, an all-brand user but mostly Stihl and I don't drink the coolaide or listen to that much BS at a dealer like the OP did.

Attachments

• IMG_2075.jpeg
    IMG_2075.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2075.jpeg
    IMG_2075.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1

Latest posts

Back