Stihl 4-Mix Oil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a BR600 from 2010 that has an hour meter reading approximately 500 hours this season.

I've used stihl silver bottle synthetic whatever it is called now on it since it was new, at 50:1. Used year round...mixed with 87 octane, 10-15% ethanol content.

As an engineer immersed in the industry, it ain't the oil and I doubt it's the ethanol. It's called quality cuts in the name of profit...bean counters and MBAs.

So, awesome discussion that's going the way of most oil threads, but not sure I jump on the "it's the oil, stupid!" train.
No one that is in the no thinks the design is sound. It's not. However, oil can make problems worse for certain.

No one that is in the no thinks the design is sound. It's not. However, oil can make problems worse for certain.
Right, but this thread was/is headed in the same direction as all oil threads which basically say oil/ratios can make or break an engine. The reality is the "testing" which was done to make that claim has far too many variables and lacks controls to be able to make a blanket statement like that.

The original post asked about stihl ultra and newer FD formulations. I'm a single data point and am saying I've exclusively used HP ultra at 50:1 with 87 octane ethanol enriched gas for 10+ years and not had a problem. This is with a br600, an fs90, and an MS290 beater saw which I know isn't 4 mix. Factory jets, approx 1k elevation.

Is it the fact that I let my machines warm up before hammering them? Is it that I let them idle for a few before shutting them down to cool the valves off? Is it that I keep the valves adjusted regularly? IDK.

But my point is that I personally believe if you use HP ultra, mix it to 50:1, and use the equipment with some care and common sense you won't have an issue.

Right, but this thread was/is headed in the same direction as all oil threads which basically say oil/ratios can make or break an engine. The reality is the "testing" which was done to make that claim has far too many variables and lacks controls to be able to make a blanket statement like that.

The original post asked about stihl ultra and newer FD formulations. I'm a single data point and am saying I've exclusively used HP ultra at 50:1 with 87 octane ethanol enriched gas for 10+ years and not had a problem. This is with a br600, an fs90, and an MS290 beater saw which I know isn't 4 mix. Factory jets, approx 1k elevation.

Is it the fact that I let my machines warm up before hammering them? Is it that I let them idle for a few before shutting them down to cool the valves off? Is it that I keep the valves adjusted regularly? IDK.

But my point is that I personally believe if you use HP ultra, mix it to 50:1, and use the equipment with some care and common sense you won't have an issue.
I agree with you that statistical validity is almost always thrown out the window in these threads.
In a 4mix oil ratio really isn't an issue because the piston temps are low. It's more of an issue in 2 stroke chainsaws.
I absolutely would not buy a 4mix, but if I did I would use Ultra to be honest. In a two stroke I would never use it.
Another thing lost on these forums are oil types are application specific. You would not run a motor oil ment for use in a aviation piston engine in your car for good reason. So why would you use a oil formulated for a 4mix or a boat in a chainsaw?

I agree with you that statistical validity is almost always thrown out the window in these threads.
In a 4mix oil ratio really isn't an issue because the piston temps are low. It's more of an issue in 2 stroke chainsaws.
I absolutely would not buy a 4mix, but if I did I would use Ultra to be honest. In a two stroke I would never use it.
Another thing lost on these forums are oil types are application specific. You would not run a motor oil ment for use in a aviation piston engine in your car for good reason. So why would you use a oil formulated for a 4mix or a boat in a chainsaw?
100% agree except for buying a 4mix.

In my case my ms290 drinks it more frequently then it should because I don't really care about it. Rather lousy saw...and its mainly limbing use anyhow.

My 4 mix units haven't been bad for me. But they're commercial grade, older, and don't see commercial use. For what I've paid and the use I've gotten, I'd buy them again.

Well, there is running and then there is running.
Some of these commercial guys run these things several hours a day every day from Memorial Day until Labor Day and more.
Blowing the leaves out of your yard or trimming your yard or a few limbs is meaningless.
I have a couple that I got for free just needing the crud build up cleaned off the valves, seats, and stems.
And, I know where there are a couple more, I'm just not in the mood.

When you have ten men working on 40 acre industrial plant landscapes it is not your yard, or your weekend warrior stuff.

Well, there is running and then there is running.
Some of these commercial guys run these things several hours a day every day from Memorial Day until Labor Day and more.
Blowing the leaves out of your yard or trimming your yard or a few limbs is meaningless.
I have a couple that I got for free just needing the crud build up cleaned off the valves, seats, and stems.
And, I know where there are a couple more, I'm just not in the mood.

When you have ten men working on 40 acre industrial plant landscapes it is not your yard, or your weekend warrior stuff.
Exactly.

I have abused redmax blowers to the max and never had any issues at all.
I currently run a Husky 580 which is a Redmax thats maybe 8 years old and it's never missed a beat.
Theres the anwser. I have a BR600 sitting in my shop that needs interal cleaning that Im not even planning on fooling with but instead I bought a Husky 570 and hadnt missed a beat in 4 yrs now

Latest posts

Back