Stihl Hp Ultra

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew15

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So i recently switch to Stihl Hp ultra after my dealer recommended it to me and i just don't get why so many people say that HP Ultra is pretty much the worst oil you can buy?Any reasons?Because i mixed 5 litres of gas already and used it in my chainsaw for a fill and the only different thing i noticed is that the exhaust smells kida different.And so does the smoke.

Here We Go Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

5 liters isn't enough to tell a difference. It's king of like eating a couple of big greasy cheeseburgers for lunch with a large order of fries and a milkshake, and musing that you don't understand why people say it'll make you get fat, since you didn't gain weight.
Burn that crappy HP ultra regularly and you'll understand, just like you'll understand about the burger if you do it every day.

Besides, HP Ultra is expensive and it flat out stinks imho. The smell reminds me of burning plastic. I'd much rather smell my old Maytag 92 engines running 16:1 with cheap 30 weight non detergent motor oil any day.

5 liters isn't enough to tell a difference. It's king of like eating a couple of big greasy cheeseburgers for lunch with a large order of fries and a milkshake, and musing that you don't understand why people say it'll make you feel fat, since you didn't gain weight.
Burn that crappy HP ultra regularly and you'll understand, just like you'll understand about the burger if you do it every day.

Besides, HP Ultra is expensive and it flat out stinks imho. The smell reminds me of burning plastic. I'd much rather smell my old Maytag 92 engines running 16:1 with cheap 30 weight non detergent motor oil any day.
Running Ultra in my saws since 2002. When will I start to understand?

The worst carbon I have seen on a 2 cycle was one that was run exclusively on HP Ultra. The most trouble I've ever had with weedeaters, blowers, and saws were also ones my grandfather ran on Ultra. Funny thing that when I started running them and started mixing gas for them (orange bottle Stihl) they were pretty much problem free.

And you might be one of the lucky ones, but just as someone else mentioned, there is a lot more bad than good out there about it. Besides that, there are plenty of oils out there that are rated and reviewed much better at a lower price.
I frankly don't care what someone else runs though- I run what I like, and I figure everyone else can do the same.

Hp ultra, 50 to 1 non e gas basically no hours on it. Very common to see. high hour machines usually have the muffler and exhaust port all gummed. Normally I'm pretty good at convincing the owner to get a different brand of oil, then it's just the normal storage issues.

Attachments

• 20230121_151525.jpg
    20230121_151525.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
The only ones that understand are the folks that refuse to use it, have never used it, because they KNOW it will ruin anything they put it in. They are passionate about it for some reason.

The only ones that understand are the folks that refuse to use it, have never used it, because they KNOW it will ruin anything they put it in. They are passionate about it for some reason.

You seem to be ignoring that there are plenty of us who HAVE used it, or at the very least dealt with the aftermath of it. And who said it'll ruin anything you put it in? The comments here just discuss how there are better oils and it creates issues that better oils don't.

I used to use the HP Ultra when I mixed my own but that was when I lived in an area that offered non-ethanol fuel at the pumps. Now I buy the five gallon pre-mixed VP fuel since there aren't any pumps nearby that have non-ethanol fuel.

Fuel filter in my MS 441 has never been changed (looks brand new) and I just replaced the spark plug a few days ago after ~133 tanks of fuel.

Watch this

Some people have found Stihl HP Ultra to cause excess carbon build up and insufficient lubrication. However you see lots of mud slinging and circumstantial statements rather than side by side tests.

Stihl ultra is in my moto mix.

I have not seen one reason not to run it.

The one saw I broke down to see for myself (Husqvarna 272), the inside was nice and clean with a nice film of oil

My theory is, the detergents in the gas play a bigger role in the burn than 2.8oz of oil in a gallon of gas.

Stihl ultra is in my moto mix.

I have not seen one reason not to run it.

The one saw I broke down to see for myself (Husqvarna 272), the inside was nice and clean with a nice film of oil

My theory is, the detergents in the gas play a bigger role in the burn than 2.8oz of oil in a gallon of gas.
only time ive blown a saw up was with HP ultra, I bought a brand new 881 and the dealer couldn't start it on motomix (bought a gallon to double warranty)
I run VP in everything now, pistons look new (on anything that I haven't ran HPU in) start easy, mufflers stay clean, doesn't smell as bad
over a year running VP premix, $120 a case is insane, but all my stuff runs like a top
we do run whatever mix oil we have laying around in the 881 since it drinks so much gas, cant afford to run premix in it

This is always going to be a difficult topic. Most people only disassemble and inspect a piston when the saw is old and stops working and by that time there could be multiple causes. Only scientists can really prove this - identical new engines running in the same way for months with different oils. Use whatever oil and ratio makes you feel happy.

This is always going to be a difficult topic. Most people only disassemble and inspect a piston when the saw is old and stops working and by that time there could be multiple causes. Only scientists can really prove this - identical new engines running in the same way for months with different oils. Use whatever oil and ratio makes you feel happy.
Unless people are having to deal with issues on newer lower hour saws, What I have noticed is its often the strato versions that folks record taking apart for internal failures and smaller cc versions for exhaust clogging. I tell folks to use the orange bottle if their choosing stihl products...no complaints when they choose to listen.

Unless people are having to deal with issues on newer lower hour saws, What I have noticed is its often the strato versions that folks record taking apart for internal failures and smaller cc versions for exhaust clogging. I tell folks to use the orange bottle if their choosing stihl products...no complaints when they choose to listen.
Yes I like and use that oil too. I've even topped up some motomix to 40:1 with it as well :cool: But I only run old saws.

Stihl recommends their moto mix and that has ultra in it, there have been issues with their 4mix engines and I believe it was designed with them engines in mind. I have a 4mix kombi and that has loads of torque but adjusting valves can be a pita so I found it best to run it hard and it seems to run fine, ultra is not an FD rated oil so not going to run as clean. I never run with pump fuel it's always Aspen or Husqvarna equivalent and add my own FD rated oil at 50-1. I will never run pump fuel apart from its rubbish it stinks too, I fixed a friends saw who said he used Aspen but it was pump petrol. My workshop and cloths stank so told him if he brings it again to fix I'm not working on it, so what he saves not buying expensive good fuel he can pay his dealer to fix his saw. Dont you just love it when OIL comes up 🤯

Back