Stihl HP Ultra 40:1

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Thought this was pretty interesting, a friend has ran this stihl back pack blower with 40:1 ultra and 10% ethanol gas for 15 years and a rough estimate of 400 hours. This is the first time removing the muffler. It’s spotless. After seeing Richards dirty mufflers, we expected the worst..

Can’t see the crown but he says it’s very good too: 0B7113C5-957F-4D60-B842-52FD0D642FE5.jpeg65D7EF70-3184-43B5-A343-FB02D3258E22.jpeg

Ive burned up two saws in my life. Both where my favorites and both on hp ultra 50:1. I've gone to another brand 32:1(non ethanol) and haven't looked back. I just change the plug more often. I cut about three sometimes four cords a year. peoples choice of oil is like there favorite beer, subjective. I do run a lot of older saws so that could play a role.

Crazy the difference, like Huskihl says it must be the difference in petrol..
Could be, most the stuff I work on is from locals, friends and family so chances are pretty good some of them are getting fuel from the place I do. I don't have those issues, never really have. Seems more prevalent in blowers and trimmers then saws.

It’s likely the gasoline he uses. I’ve seen them like that also on Ultra, and the next 10 are full of carbon. Just another reason why there’s a controversy with it.

Is it that other oils have better detergents, and that's why other oils don't have issues with the same gasoline that caused deposit issues with Stihl Ultra?

I bought a like new KM91 Kombi/trimmer with a 4mix engine and I’m running it like everything else, 32:1 Echo Red Armor. No HP in my stuff….

Will report is anything goes sideways.
Red Armor, from what I’ve seen inside saw crankcases, is one of those oils that doesn’t appear to need to be run at heavy ratios. It has some sort of additive package in it that helps it burn really clean and leave lots of oil behind for the crank and bearings. I’m curious if you have any spooge coming out the muffler, but I’d wager that everything inside is nearly spotless running it at 32:1

Red Armor, from what I’ve seen inside saw crankcases, is one of those oils that doesn’t appear to need to be run at heavy ratios. It has some sort of additive package in it that helps it burn really clean and leave lots of oil behind for the crank and bearings. I’m curious if you have any spooge coming out the muffler, but I’d wager that everything inside is nearly spotless running it at 32:1
My son's got a little lawn mowing business going. In the 3 pieces of two cycle equipment we have it's getting RA at 50:1. Looks very good so far.

My son's got a little lawn mowing business going. In the 3 pieces of two cycle equipment we have it's getting RA at 50:1. Looks very good so far.
I've liked how it's working @ 40 to 1 in my equipment. Been very impressive how it clings to everything Internally.

Echo/Sindaiwa Red Armor 2T oil is made in the USA by Phillips 66.

(read on top of msds ) :
https://www.echo-usa.com/getattachm...82c2-ad427eb044e2/Material-Safety-Data-Sheets
Phillips 66 also have some 2T oils which seem to be of the premium class :
https://phillips66lubricants.com/category_pro/2-cycle-2t/
{ While on an older Red Armor MSDS the manufacturer is
Spectrum Lubricants Corporation ( USA ): https://www.shindaiwa-latinamerica....8c481e/Hoja-de-seguridad,-Aceite-de-Red-Armorwhich BTW on July 31, 2014 was acquired by Phillips 66.
Notice that pre 2014 Red Armor had a slightly different chemical
composition . }

Red Armor contains a polymer
( polybutene after 2014 /polyisobutylene before 2014 )
for making the oil adhere better to the surface of metal parts .
Why there's no gumming up from the burning of polymer ?

(...) An important physical property is that higher molecular weight grades thermally degrade to lower-molecular weight polybutenes; those evaporate as well as degrade to butene monomers which can also evaporate.[3]This depolymerization mechanism which allows clean and complete volatization is in contrast to mineral oils which leave gum and sludge or thermoplastics which melt and spread. The property is very valuable for a variety of applications. For smoke inhibition in two stroke engine fuels, the lubricant can degrade at temperatures below the combustion temperature.(...)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polybutene

Back