Calling Stihl AV011 back to Active status! [carry harness?]

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elric

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Folks, back in Dec 2019, I declared Gee-Haad against Invasive Honeysuckle and Buckthorn [Glossy -AND- Common]. Eventually, I lowered my standards and went eclectic with a [Red Chinese] Skil 20v Reciprocating Saw. The third one seems to -Still- be working after a year, the other two packed it up in six months. Too much invested in the battery packs to switch to a new make willy-nilly. No need for specific PPE like chaps or a helmet.

BUT this year, I've finally had to accept the fact that there are hard old things in the woods. Common Buckthorn is a dense, hard wood. Honeysuckle from the 50's are truly hefty.

First image is from a stand of Common Buckthorn inside of Popples, can't see it, but they are 3-5 inches across. About 1,800 feet from my car. I gnaw them down, hard wood. 15-20 minutes each, sectioning them in order to make a small stack. 40 minutes to get here...
HiLo_E_NW_Tip.jpg

Second is the remains of an ancient Honeysuckle, probably from the 50's. Multiple trips [very HOT summer], the individual trunks are as big around as your calves [hefty boiz]. Each cut took 30 minutes to get there.
Hartzell_Remnants.jpg

I started to look at eclectic chainsaws and had to turn my head and cough. The good stuff is $400 and up. Extra batteries are pricey. The ease of firing an electric saw up sure appeals to me, but that price sure makes me lower my standards.

So, time to haul out a Stihl AV011 from my old man. I had a new adjustable Walbro carb installed on it and it was tuned up. And then it sat for maybe five years. The local shop can tune it up again.

Is there any kind of a harness to carry it? This purging of invasives is on WI DNR managed property, and they aren't going to open a trail for a UTV in order for me to hop out and do a cut, then buzz back. I can ruck in the PPE, it's a little bulky, but not heavy.

Latest posts

Back