Almost got crushed by my flipline

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, so what would be the sense in throwing a flip line around this limb if I were to make a cut right here (regardless of the size)???

It's not rocket science guys...

I think most people would because OSHA says you have to. But I agree with your point, a compromise would to double crotch out of a lower branch with the end of your climb line, get your two tie ins and be free of the limb.

If your going to use two flip lines, how about having the rope grabs on opposite sides of the saddle. To help avoid stupid mistakes when fatigued.
just my two cents

If your going to use two flip lines, how about having the rope grabs on opposite sides of the saddle. To help avoid stupid mistakes when fatigued.
just my two cents

I used to do it that way but the tails kept getting caught up on my saw on my left so now I do both on the right. Don't get me wrong, great point there. I now use a hitch and pulley on my rope lanyard like lync suggested. One adjuster is mechanical (Maxi-flip wire core) one is rope (yale bandit so it contrasts with my climbing line)and if I ever get fatigued enough to forget which is which then uncliping the wrong lanyard would be the least of my worries:laugh:.

Ghillie, wish I had seen your post earlier. My climbing instructions did not include the safe use of a lanyard. I figured out the possibility of crushing myself on my own before I even went up my first tree and should have known better. There is no substitute for first hand experience though. Scary how fast it happens and how bad it is. Luckily we both made it through without permanent damage. I've learned my lesson and moved on and I know that the next time something like this happens I will die. So, I am simply not going to let it happen again. Thanks guys, as I have said before the stuff I learn on this forum could very well be the reason i'm still breathing.

thanks for sharing your story with us. It's always good to have reminders of things to look out for. I'm glad you're okay.

OK, so what would be the sense in throwing a flip line around this limb if I were to make a cut right here (regardless of the size)???

Yeah, exactly what I was thinking. It takes a while to get the logic of tie-ins and rigging down to a fine art, and even then we all ef up once in a while. The classic case is the fellow who literally wrote the book on the art and science of practical rigging and then had a tree he was rigging down collapse under him and kill him. End of the day moves are usually what get you, although first cuts can do it, too. Of course there's always the middle of the day stuff------

Pretty darn sure that's not a jump cut that you are describing. It would be a breakaway cut that you are describing. And FYI don't make the cut's on top of each other unless you like to drop saws out of trees.

New climber reading this post. Good stuff. I dropped a saw cutting a pine branch about 10 in in diameter.Saw got yanked out of my hand. I thought the bucking spike caught. Is it how I made the cut that did it?

New climber reading this post. Good stuff. I dropped a saw cutting a pine branch about 10 in in diameter.Saw got yanked out of my hand. I thought the bucking spike caught. Is it how I made the cut that did it?

No fiber gets in between bar and chain usually, btw I find cutting ahead on top cut the leading cause of saw hang. if cuts match hardly ever hang imo. It sucks to have a 13 inch top hanging from you caught in saw and yes I have had that happen. It was a bit cubersome getting out of that pickle too :)

dadbuck004-3.jpg

None but 2 tips rule can cause problems but we all know the climber is in the tree and usually sets his own rule.

Sometimes 2 tips can be down right dangerous like when tied into one tree and in an unstable second tree I want an option to bail:)

Last edited:
Reminds me of this guy that got his climbing line in the disk chipper and it started winding him in like a winch and the tree was bending like a SOB .I kept telling him to cut it with his saw but he would not he was also wearing a safety lanyard so he would be held.finally the rope got cut by the chipper and let go!Thats one reason you use a safety lanyard huh!

Reminds me of this guy that got his climbing line in the disk chipper and it started winding him in like a winch and the tree was bending like a SOB .I kept telling him to cut it with his saw but he would not he was also wearing a safety lanyard so he would be held.finally the rope got cut by the chipper and let go!Thats one reason you use a safety lanyard huh!

Well yeah but I was talking in a different scenario 99.9 % yes but there is the one in a million situations I feel more comfortable being able to escape! Not as a practice mind you, merely in situations where it could put you in more danger utilizing the lanyard. Rules are a great tool in learning and usually keep you safe and are not meant to be discarded. Very few times have i felt safer without using my lanyard but there have been maybe three times in 30 years I elected not too. One such time actually saved me from injury as the top let loose and I safely swung clear!

Good advice Keith, thanks for the input. To answer your question I was actually finished with the back cut. I had just pulled my saw away, the limb started creaking and moving, and I was getting ready to deal with the jolt of the branch separating. Thank god I didnt turn the saw off yet like I sometimes do. I really don't think I could have gotten it started again to cut myself free. I did have a little 8" folding handsaw but it was hooked onto the back of my harness with a little keychain carabiner, I probably could have gotten it open in time and cut the rope with it but like I said as far as speed and convienence go there is nothing better than a running 200T in your hands to get you out of a tough spot like that.

I will have to try out that "jump cut" (snap cut, breakaway cut, etc). I have know about it and used it as a means for taking out small limbs and especally when working on evergreens (to drop branches straight down so they dont swing into me) Never thought of trying it on large hardwoods. I will have to test it out (safely of course)

I always use two points of connection when the saw is on, but I have to agree with you, it isnt always the safest thing to do. In this case however I did have another branch i could have tied into(you can see it just above the red line in my pic). In the future though, you can bet I'm keeping my cuts cleaner and my lanyard out of harms way.
In the future will you still tie in to the same limb your removing ?(just wondering)

I still do tie into limbs I am removing when I have to, but I am lot more cautious. It is always on my mind when I am positioning myself to make a cut. I still always use two points of connection, the only thing that has changed is how careful I am about choosing where those connections will be placed.

If i was in that exact same tree again, I would either tie into the other branch that I was not cutting or I would have climbed out farther on the limb and removed it in smaller sections to reduce the chances of a peel. There is no replacement for experience sometimes, i'm just glad that in this situation i was able to gain some without killing myself.

I still do tie into limbs I am removing when I have to, but I am lot more cautious. It is always on my mind when I am positioning myself to make a cut. I still always use two points of connection, the only thing that has changed is how careful I am about choosing where those connections will be placed.

If i was in that exact same tree again, I would either tie into the other branch that I was not cutting or I would have climbed out farther on the limb and removed it in smaller sections to reduce the chances of a peel. There is no replacement for experience sometimes, i'm just glad that in this situation i was able to gain some without killing myself.

Amen bro it's highly likely you won't do that again lol. As long as its terminated to one point like one side d or the middle d"s It will not crush you or rip u in half. Smaller is better though in many cases imo :cheers: Be safe bro.

Don't forget to make the proper cut. I think that was more the problem than your tie in. Stay safe!

I almost always use two tie-in points. It is always nice to have a back up in case "stuff" happens.

I believe his TIP was in the other tree, therefore he would need something to stop him from swinging back to his tie in point. In this case, I believe his flipline was wrapped around the branch he was cutting to support his weight and stop him from swinging back.

If possible, a tie-in point (or another) in the tree he was taking the limb from, would have been safer. Red arrow in pic below shows possible TIP.

attachment.php

This extra TIP would have given him the benefit of better work positioning (no need to be tied into the branch he was cutting). Although it would take more time to set this up, this would have afforded him to work above and away from his cut. (Perhaps even limb walk out).

Usually an accident is a combination of errors.

Thanks Chad566 for sharing this with us. It takes courage to show your mistakes so others may learn from your "experience".

Glad your still with us.:msp_thumbup:

Lots of good advice in this thread and this is a good one. Also, always cut what you can control and if you can't, then make small cuts.

Lots of good advice in this thread and this is a good one. Also, always cut what you can control and if you can't, then make small cuts.

Lol i so love my wraptor on those just shoot rope where i wanna cut zip up bada bean then come down and shoot next area of concern I may make a song about it soon :)

Latest posts

Back