Best chainsaw brand?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjpaq

Reaction score
I’m looking for a chainsaw. I currently own à Stihl ms170. It’s great for limbing, brushing, on the 4 wheeler etc. Not so great for cutting hardwood logs (on weekends, I’m not a pro need about 5 face cords per year)

I went to a dealer and he recommends the Stihl ms 261 (855$ cds). He also sells husqavarna and doesn’t recommend them at all. He showed me the shop where they currently have about 20 saws to fix and 19 of them were huskies and only 1 Stihl.

Thoughts? Comments?

I’m looking for a chainsaw. I currently own à Stihl ms170. It’s great for limbing, brushing, on the 4 wheeler etc. Not so great for cutting hardwood logs (on weekends, I’m not a pro need about 5 face cords per year)

I went to a dealer and he recommends the Stihl ms 261 (855$ cds). He also sells husqavarna and doesn’t recommend them at all. He showed me the shop where they currently have about 20 saws to fix and 19 of them were huskies and only 1 Stihl.

Thoughts? Comments?
261 a good saw , come down to what ur needs are , not ur wants , but it’s ur choice so do what you like 👍

Thoughts? Comments?
You answered your own question when you mentioned the repairs.

As I've said before, I'd go to hell and back with a 261.

The 261 is the pro level model, a bit more power and a bit tougher but the 271 is just as good for the home owner and a bit cheaper. Still great quality. I ran one for about 10 years before I changed to a 261 and never turned back.

BTW, I also run a 170. Have had a few of them. Great little saw.

Stihl all the way!

mic drop.gif

261 is supposed to be an awesome machine, and if I were looking for new that would be my choice for your purposes.
That saw should be very happy with a 16 -18 inch bar in either .325 or 3/8" depending on which flavor you prefer. You could probably even get by with a 20" bar if you really needed it, but it won't perform at it's peak.

I have a 261 CM with a 16" bar and like it really well. Like someone already said, if you are going above a 18" bar and plan to keep the bar completely buried in hardwood a lot, move up a size or two in the Stihl Professional line.

Best is just an opinion, like Ford, Chevy, dodge etc...
I have Husqvarna, stihl, dolmar, echo and old Poulan saws. I personally like Husqvarna better, then Dolmar, then Echo, then stihl. There are certain models in each brand that stand out above the others. The stands out in the stihl line would be 261 and 400 in my opinion..

Best is just an opinion, like Ford, Chevy, dodge etc...
I have Husqvarna, stihl, dolmar, echo and old Poulan saws. I personally like Husqvarna better, then Dolmar, then Echo, then stihl. There are certain models in each brand that stand out above the others. The stands out in the stihl line would be 261 and 400 in my opinion..
This exactly. ☝🏻.
I'll add the 550xp is also an excellent saw. I'd still lean to the ms261, but for the price and not much more weight you could get a 562xp husqy and cut circles around the 261 and still be able to handle a 24" bar occasionally. If you have deeper pockets the ms400 is an amazing saw. Same weight as the husqy 562xp and noticeably more power. I won't lie though, for occasional use the price difference is pretty steep.

I’d have to recommend the 261 at this point. Husky 550XP is a good saw but Husqvarna is having issues with supplying parts. Echo makes a good saw as well, believe the 4910 is still available but that saw really needs muffler work to realize it’s full potential.
The echos are hard to beat for the price. Not the fastest but dead reliable and easy starting.

Husqvarna 562xp will cut all you want and probably outlast you. Stihl fans will of course trash this but I'm 100% husqvarna and will never change. It's not always down to what cuts faster there is much more to it like handling, vibration ease of maintenance and working on it. Give 5 people 5 saws and all will tell you something different. Do your homework and get what you want. Cooky cutting means nothing, it makes me laugh when they say how fast it cuts then stands around looking at it. The seconds saves are lost looking at nothing 🤣🙄

If I was buying new I'd get a husky or an echo. Thiers more husky dealers close to me so if I need something done to the saw it's easy to get repaired.
If I bought an echo I'd buy parts online and fix it myself, they're sold at hardware stores not places that can do repairs but they're quite a bit cheaper.
I like stihl's too, they're very good saws but they cost even more than huskys and there isnt many dealers in my area, the local hardware sells them just like the echos.

You really have to wonder about a dealer that sells product for 2 major brands but is clearly doing a disservice to one of them.
If the Huskies are as bad as he says, why does he continue to stock them while disparaging the saws?
There is a back story you are not being told.
Yup, like he's sold out of Husky's and has plenty of Stihl's. "Sell what you got"

You really have to wonder about a dealer that sells product for 2 major brands but is clearly doing a disservice to one of them.
If the Huskies are as bad as he says, why does he continue to stock them while disparaging the saws?
The devil is in the details....

Simple, the saws that are brought in for repair are ones that he/she did not sell. The person bought it at a non-servicing dealer BOX STORE. The dealer made zero on the sale, zero on the consumables (chain, bars, oil, etc). Now he/she is expected to repair a saw that the buyer was too damned cheap to buy from him. Yes he may be a Husky dealer but you better damn well believe most folks only price the saws from him/her then go to the box store to save $5.

Thoughts? Comments?
Husqvarna 372XP has served me well for years, and I have owned most all the brands at one time of another.

How I feel about. I started with Stihl in about 1981 I ran them till about 88 I had nothing but trouble with Stihl. I went to Husqvarna I watch a old man with a little 41 Husqvarna just drive out with load after load of firewood . I ask were did you get that saw ? I bought a 50 special ran the snot out of it I still have it and runs great. To embark on what saw to buy to be one and done will not happen

Latest posts

Back