Best chainsaw brand?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How I feel about. I started with Stihl in about 1981 I ran them till about 88 I had nothing but trouble with Stihl. I went to Husqvarna I watch a old man with a little 41 Husqvarna just drive out with load after load of firewood . I ask were did you get that saw ? I bought a 50 special ran the snot out of it I still have it and runs great. To embark on what saw to buy to be one and done will not happen

Simple, the saws that are brought in for repair are ones that he/she did not sell. The person bought it at a non-servicing dealer BOX STORE. The dealer made zero on the sale, zero on the consumables (chain, bars, oil, etc). Now he/she is expected to repair a saw that the buyer was too damned cheap to buy from him. Yes he may be a Husky dealer but you better damn well believe most folks only price the saws from him/her then go to the box store to save $5.
There's loads of assumptions in that statement.

You really have to wonder about a dealer that sells product for 2 major brands but is clearly doing a disservice to one of them.
If the Huskies are as bad as he says, why does he continue to stock them while disparaging the saws?
There is a back story you are not being told.
I’ve learned that many matter-of-factly outspoken, and opinionated human beings who even “specialize” in what they are speaking about, are just dead wrong and don’t know the real ins and outs of the very subject.
No doubt Stihl makes good saws. I’ve had a 261 since 2013 and in hindsight would have saved a few bucks and stayed with my comparable Dolmar or bought the Echo 590. That said, it’s been a tough saw.
Even though Stihl is number 1 in saws, they also put a lot into marketing.

For the little dab of wood you are saying you want to cut,---- get a ms 250! --- with that and the 170 you can do what you want. You are NOT in the logging business so why waste all that money! I use ALL brands and sizes to log with here and all are old saws other people have tossed in the trash, 3 ms 250's, 170, 210, 041 , a couple 011's an 009avt , some Poulans, a couple SXLAO's ----brand aint important!!!!
Either they cut wood or they dont! I get stihls here for free cause they die and nobody wants to fix them!! LOL!! --- thats how I get my saws and some of them only been used a few times, so like new and I fix them and run the hell out of them.

There's loads of assumptions in that statement.
100% true there are loads of assumptions in my post. They are based on decades of watching it happen here.. Do you have a different opinion? Please share. I would love to hear it. In your area what happens when a guy or gal buys a saw from a box store and needs it serviced? Where do they go?

100% true there are loads of assumptions in my post. They are based on decades of watching it happen here.. Do you have a different opinion? Please share. I would love to hear it. In your area what happens when a guy or gal buys a saw from a box store and needs it serviced? Where do they go?
I would be making assumptions as well, but I'll humor you. the typical homeowner/box store enthusiasts doesn't know a dealer exists, and by the time the saw or other power equipment doesn't run. (Assuming it's not a d.o.a. then they return it.) They throw it in the trash, toss it by the curb, or sell it. Occasionally they bring their stuff to a dealer, which frequently they got told to buy new as it's not worth fixing. My personal favorite is sell it, yard sale, marketplace, evilbay.
The real funny part around here is you can't move without tripping into a "dealer" of some sort. 99% of them are no better then the box store. About 1/2% of the remaining dealers won't touch box store equipment, because of the bad attitude that it wasn't bought at their store. I don't bother with them unless it's absolutely nessisary. You signed a dealer agreement, doesn't matter if you sold it or not. Same as any vehicle dealer.
The other 1/2% will help you out. In my area there used to be 3 dealers like that, but it's pretty much down to 1 now and they murged with one of the other decent dealers. Unfortunately for me, they are over am hour drive. I give them and send them as much business as I can. Apparently they understood what a dealer agreement means and actually want customers to come to them in the future vs going to a box store.

I would be making assumptions as well, but I'll humor you. the typical homeowner/box store enthusiasts doesn't know a dealer exists, and by the time the saw or other power equipment doesn't run. (Assuming it's not a d.o.a. then they return it.) They throw it in the trash, toss it by the curb, or sell it. Occasionally they bring their stuff to a dealer, which frequently they got told to buy new as it's not worth fixing. My personal favorite is sell it, yard sale, marketplace, evilbay.
The real funny part around here is you can't move without tripping into a "dealer" of some sort. 99% of them are no better then the box store. About 1/2% of the remaining dealers won't touch box store equipment, because of the bad attitude that it wasn't bought at their store. I don't bother with them unless it's absolutely nessisary. You signed a dealer agreement, doesn't matter if you sold it or not. Same as any vehicle dealer.
The other 1/2% will help you out. In my area there used to be 3 dealers like that, but it's pretty much down to 1 now and they murged with one of the other decent dealers. Unfortunately for me, they are over am hour drive. I give them and send them as much business as I can. Apparently they understood what a dealer agreement means and actually want customers to come to them in the future vs going to a box store.
They know a dealer exists when the call Husqvarna or another company and ask where they can get it serviced.

They know a dealer exists when the call Husqvarna or another company and ask where they can get it serviced.
Because most people call to find out where a dealer is thay buy saws at lowes? Oh my, bill you should have been a comedian with lines like that. Either way it doesn't matter, as a dealer you ate liable to service and repair all of thay companies product, doesn't matter if you sold it or not.

Because most people call to find out where a dealer is thay buy saws at lowes? Oh my, bill you should have been a comedian with lines like that. Either way it doesn't matter, as a dealer you ate liable to service and repair all of thay companies product, doesn't matter if you sold it or not.
Sean,

Your above post is a bit hard to read. I think you are getting a bit confused. :omg:

Sean,

Your above post is a bit hard to read. I think you are getting a bit confused. :omg:
Not confused at all. Here I'll break it down for you. Based, again, on the assumptions you make. Your state "they find the dealers when they call stihl/husqy." You're once again assuming someone that bought a $150.00 saw at a box store is going to call anyone. I found this to be extremely funny, ie you should be a comedian.

Not confused at all. Here I'll break it down for you. Based, again, on the assumptions you make. Your state "they find the dealers when they call stihl/husqy." You're once again assuming someone that bought a $150.00 saw at a box store is going to call anyone. I found this to be extremely funny, ie you should be a comedian.
No sir,

That is not what said. You are making assumptions, reading more into what I said, and leaving things out.

There is no brand that that is better than any other. I run Stihl and Husky. I would run Dolmar but without dealer support I will stick with the others. I have a great Echo dealer here but Echo just does not offer a saw that fits my needs.

Both Husqvarna and Stihl offer excellent saws, there is very little in it and that’s why so many heated disagreements happen. One excels above the other in certain ways and vice versa.

The 3 main things to really consider are

1). Budget
2). Dealer support
3). Preferred ergonomics

Either way, a 60cc, rather than 50cc saw is probably the way to go for you.

Go pick them up off the shelf, see how it feels. You’ll probably know right away which you prefer.

If your budget is tight and you don’t mind working on saws yourself, saws from the 1990’s from both manufacturers are plentiful, parts are easily available, they’re very reliable and easy to work on, they don’t use limited coils, they flow air more freely, no strato charging, bypass drillings etc.

If you don't mind working on them, Craftsman/Poulan countervibe 3.4/3.7 saws are built like tanks, run very well, will literally cut firewood for decades and can usually be had for under $100. Often a saw from the mid eighties requires nothing more that a carb/fuel line rebuild to get up and running.

Their burbling idle puts a smile on my face every time I start mine. Sounds like a stock car sitting there getting ready to rip down the strip. 😃

Simple, the saws that are brought in for repair are ones that he/she did not sell. The person bought it at a non-servicing dealer BOX STORE. The dealer made zero on the sale, zero on the consumables (chain, bars, oil, etc). Now he/she is expected to repair a saw that the buyer was too damned cheap to buy from him. Yes he may be a Husky dealer but you better damn well believe most folks only price the saws from him/her then go to the box store to save $5.
He no doubt makes a bigger profit margin on parts and repairs than on new saw sales.

Both Husqvarna and Stihl offer excellent saws, there is very little in it and that’s why so many heated disagreements happen. One excels above the other in certain ways and vice versa.

The 3 main things to really consider are

1). Budget
2). Dealer support
3). Preferred ergonomics

Either way, a 60cc, rather than 50cc saw is probably the way to go for you.

Go pick them up off the shelf, see how it feels. You’ll probably know right away which you prefer.

If your budget is tight and you don’t mind working on saws yourself, saws from the 1990’s from both manufacturers are plentiful, parts are easily available, they’re very reliable and easy to work on, they don’t use limited coils, they flow air more freely, no strato charging, bypass drillings etc.
I don't use saws enough to know how long they can last. I cut about 6 cords per year plus some TSI work. For me, I like the strong torque rise of Stihl products. When I have used Husky or other brands, it seemed that they did not have as much torque rise so I had to baby them more in the wood. So, that is my preference. Others may have their own preferences. No need to argue about it. To each his own.

Back