OWF Tax Credit

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hedgecutter

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Does any one here know if the IRS has approved any Outside Water Furnaces for the Federal tax credit of $1500? I had heard second hand that Central Boiler had one but after talking to a dealer they said that none of the OWF's have been approved for the tax credit. Any insight on this?

Does any one here know if the IRS has approved any Outside Water Furnaces for the Federal tax credit of $1500? I had heard second hand that Central Boiler had one but after talking to a dealer they said that none of the OWF's have been approved for the tax credit. Any insight on this?

None that I'm aware of.
They have to be 75% efficient which there is no test for furnaces...stoves only and 2 I don't think any are that efficient due to design flaws although Greenwood says they are like 90% .
Report back with your findings if you will.

I know that with stoves the new "efficiency" rating method that the IRS chose boosts the standard efficiency rating to a much higher number. It's a hokey method that allows nearly all modern stoves to qualify. So.... perhaps the furnaces might be able to attain the efficiency so long as the IRS can provide a test method for them. I think it would follow the intent of the tax credit to allow for an air or water furnace to qualify, so long as they burn biomass.

My furnace qualifies, but its an indoor forced air furnace, not a owf.

my owb that was delivered a week ago is cert. my dealer gave me the tags that show how eff. it burns. and it qualifies for the tax credit. I live here in northern indiana. Oh and the burner is an empyre pro model 200 gasifier. pretty easy to see which gassers qualify. there are links from profab industries you just have to look and if you don't have a gasser theres no way that that burner will make it on the epa standards....charlie...:givebeer:

Thank you for your responses, but I think I need to clarify a bit. I realize the gassifiers were efficient enough to qualify for the tax credit. I was thinking in terms of the standard OWF's sold by companies like Central Boiler, Shaver, Taylor, Heatmor, Hardy, Nature's Comfort, Woodmaster, etc. I had heard that some makes may qualify, but I have yet to find it documented. I was just wondering if anybody knew other wise.

My Greenwood 200 qualifies for the tax credit. Its an indoor model but they make outdoor models also.

Back