TS500i

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith Lee

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Ok. I have a client's TS500i. He's complaining that it bogs down after a bit of use. Usually about 10 - 30 mins in. Being the person I am. Check all the usual things. Air filter. spark plug, spark arrestor. Empty the gas and put known good mix in. Take off the muffler and have a peek inside the chamber and piston (I have a bore scope for this, so I'm not looking at a limited amount of cylinder). All looks good. BUT! It's go the M-Tronic fuel/ignition system. I check the leads to the connectors and none of them pull out like people have suggested is a problem.
So, I make a request to get an MDG-1. Another location has one. But, it's the only one we have in Quebec, and they didn't want to transfer it (although it's company property). Long story. I eventually get it transferred which took about a month. Because they kept asking "Do you REALLY need it?". I get it. It's expensive. I'm the new guy (only been with the company for 7 months. But, in 7 months. I cleared a 3 year backlog in 6 weeks (this is for a rental company). I'm also learning most of this on the fly as I'm actually an automotive mechanic. But, I digress. I finally get the MDG-1. Get the I.T. department to eventually give me access to install the software for it (another week). So, I've had client's saw for about 5 weeks now. It was never set up by whoever sold it to them (entirely possible it could have been us before I started working there). . PDI was never done. So, no serial number was entered. I have to manually select the product it is (it's the last on the list BTW).
I've got 2 code 0812 faults in it's history "injection valve temporarily without function". The MDG-1 let me test it, and it checked out fine. So, I start tracing wires. I found that a hold down for the wire/s for Part number "4250 400 5802". had chewed through the sheath and exposed the bare wire.

I managed to do a factory reset. But, now I have to calibrate the saw. The MDG-1 will only let me calibrate it if I provide a serial number. Unfortunately, that sticker is long gone. Get's water soaked, peels off and gets lost. The other method that was suggested was that I run I start the saw and warm it up at full throttle for 100 seconds. Let it idle for 3 seconds Run it at full throttle for another 100 seconds (repeat for 3 cycles).

Is there any truth to this?

Serial is on the case above the clutch c cover. However, running issues after hot typically involve coil or some form of friction between p and c.

I’d be looking at coil, also check the tank vent.

The joys of unnecessary electronics on ope..

Serial is on the case above the clutch c cover. However, running issues after hot typically involve coil or some form of friction between p and c.

I’d be looking at coil, also check the tank vent.

The joys of unnecessary electronics on ope..

It's not there. Might be that it's not exactly the same as what's sold in other countries (I've run into this issue before. I'm in Canada). It's rather funny that I posted this. Client came in today/yesterday asking about his saw. I showed him the damage to the wires an what was causing it. The screen shots of the MDG-1 logs. I gotta send myself a reminder to take pics on Monday.
I find it funny that there's no option to print the logs from the software. For as much as the MDG-1 goes for, you would figure the software to run it would have a few more useful options.

As far as I know we have had only one TS500I come in. The software is generally useless other than telling you that you have a connection issue. So, the tech replaced the "computer". Did the same as before. Ran a while then stopped.
It was the wiring harness worn through the insulation and shorting to the magnesium.
So, he put a new wiring harness on it.
Curiously the replacement wiring harness looked so different from the original that it was questionable whether it would fit. But, it did. So, I'm thinking they have had this issue are trying to make the wiring "tougher"

It amazes me when it sounds like you work for a large company and can't have what you need to test the unit. I work in a old hardware/ Stihl dealer and have very good access to testing equipment.
Good job looking for a visual fault first. There was probably an update to the harness for just this reason.
Good to let Stihl tech know about this also. Don't be afraid to use their knowledge also. Many times they will know these fixes before we do.

Latest posts

Back