What model of saw is this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I was pretty positive is was an early 10mm but I was slow-walking the OP through it. I have seen the nob-mentality folks jump on things and give some half baked advice then a new OP goes running off with only half the story.

I have to say we are now cracking page #2 and no one has tried to buy it. That might be a first...................

The 311Y label is a safety sticker, placed on EVERY machine. To consider that to have anything to do with the model is silly.

Not silly unless you already know why the sticker is there. Is it necessary for you to heap abuse on other members who might not be expert on any topic?

So what parts are you needing?
Well I want to be sure this is an 044 just so I know for sure.

I do need a part. The screw that holds the bumper spike has either stripped out, or started out as the wrong thread or diameter. So I’d like to find the exact bolt specs, OEM. Then move it to a Helicoil if it is stripped out.

Attachments

• IMG_6835.jpeg
    IMG_6835.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Well I want to be sure this is an 044 just so I know for sure.

I do need a part. The screw that holds the bumper spike has either stripped out, or started out as the wrong thread or diameter. So I’d like to find the exact bolt specs, OEM. Then move it to a Helicoil if it is stripped out.

Should be M5 X 0.8.
Can be tapped out to 6mm probably without redrilling the hole- use a tapered tap and plenty of lube- finish with a bottoming tap if a blind hole.
Will have to enlarge the hole in the spike for clearance.

It’s a 10MM 044, so definitely a slant fin. Actually the slant fin went through most of the 12MM run as well. Late 12MM 044 were straight fins that made it into the 440 production without a decomp. Later 440 had straight fins with the decomp
When did Stihl starting putting decomps on 440s?

Bill G., Thank you for the clarification. I have a 311y and found a 311 Service Manual, it doesn't match up. The Important Engine Information sticker has the Type as MS250 but must refer to this build. I had no clue about matching to an 044. Many Thanks!!!
The 311Y is the UL safety standard that ALL chainsaws are listed to meet. It has nothing to do with any saw model number.

Red lever, you think it might be a slant fin? I'd like to see the side of the cylinder behind the flywheel to see the bore size.
Slant fin, is that it? I posted a couple pics. The aluminum cooling fins on the top of the head are diagonal. What does "slant fin" mean, is that good? Or can you educate me about it. thanks!

Not silly unless you already know why the sticker is there. Is it necessary for you to heap abuse on other members who might not be expert on any topic?
And: the safety sticker has outlasted the aluminum name plate on the top that had "044" etched into it!

Latest posts

Back