Palm tree up against a wall / pool

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Debbie P

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
image.jpeg image.jpeg I don't know what kind of Palm this is or how long it's been in place but I'm concerned it's going to crack the block wall it's right up against or worse crack my new pool I'm going to renovate here soon. I love the tropical feel it gives the pool etc but at a cost of $50,000 renovation project coming up on the pool I don't want it cracking the gunite someday. Your thoughts ? image.jpeg

Palm trees are monocots... their roots are fibrous, not woody. They will fan out far, and unlike dicots, go very deep. It's one of the reasons they don't fall over and can grow between rocks, in sand and other places you'd never dream of planting any other tree. They are commonly planted between sidewalks and curbs, between buildings and parking lots, etc. on very narrow strips of lawn or garden, because their fibrous roots will usually not upheave concrete.

However, I don't live in palm tree country... maybe someone who works in Califronia will show up with an opinion. Personally, I doubt if they'll be a problem. Whoever is doing the pool restoration most definitely should know if it will be a problem. I've seen palm trees planted within two feet of swimming pools down south and in California, so I suspect they won't be an issue.

Canary Island Date palm and 3 King palms and a Queen palm.
That date palm will absolutely be a problem.
Jeff
Jeff can you tell how old it might be? The trunk won't get any larger will it ? It'll get taller I know but not sure about fatter. Yes roots are my concern here. Such a shame as its a focal point in the yard.

Thanks guys. I realize it has to go. I'll think of something else that's not so invasive that will still give me privacy and a tropical feel.

Back