People that harvest wood late

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about customers calling now expecting seasoned wood, delivered within a day or two, and to match "there's a guy on Craig's List" price?

It's amazing how many people wait to the last minute and get real ugly when you can't just jump through rings of fire to help.

The better ones wait till its -20* to run out of wood and have a driveway our chained up 648 skidder would struggle on.

How about customers calling now expecting seasoned wood, delivered within a day or two, and to match "there's a guy on Craig's List" price?

It's amazing how many people wait to the last minute and get real ugly when you can't just jump through rings of fire to help.

The better ones wait till its -20* to run out of wood and have a driveway our chained up 648 skidder would struggle on.
EXACTLY. Would like to tell them "stupidity and poor planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an emergency on my part".

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

I got a little behind but had everything split last spring. Just haven't had a chance to get it inside yet.. Will get most in my next days off. Propanes prepaid on keep full so no worries.

We have a few orders for firewood but we really don't sell that much. Like I said earlier I cut the 16" splits 1st and my son tells our "regular" customers that we have the wood ready to go and it's dry in late August. We try to get them to take the delivery before the fall rains hit and every single one waits until it's raining and says they are ready for it now. I used to put a big tarp over the pile but that was a pain and not my problem so I stopped. I intend to build a firewood shelter at some point but I'm not going to any extra work for people who are too lazy to even click yes to a text from my son. Some of the people say they don't have the money so I say just post date a check for November 1st then, still no takers. He delivered the 1st load last weekend to a guy with lots of room inside to stack him wood, the guy asked why so early. It's rained the last 3 days straight.
20180929_075923.jpg

I find when it comes to work around home there are many very lazy people out there. The real reason they say "I don't have enough money" is they are too embarrassed to say what they really mean, "Hey feel bad for me and give me free wood".
I know a fella that always runs out of wood every year for the last 30 years or so every winter without fail. He has access to 88 acres of free wood and all the equipment needed to get it out with 500' from his stove door. A few weeks ago I told this family I had about 2 cord of treelength cut last November and up on skids since then. The wood is not what I would consider good wood, Basswood, Poplar, Hemlock and a pine I think. I told them anyone who wanted it could have it for free.
You can drive a 2 wd truck right up to the pile. I told them, "a fella could burn this now save their better wood till colder weather". I would help saw and split it too with my saws and my splitter but I did not tell them that, but I am working 50' away from this pile so it would be no hardship for me to help. One of them said no don't know anyone who would want it and one said go get it ! you know we don't have enough...

Somebody at work found out I just got nine truckloads of black locust for free. Logs just need cut a little shorter and split.

Though they are still not ready yet it will be next year.

They offered me $100a cord. LMFAO. I told him i would not give it up for $200 a cord. “But why not” he said.

I replied “Because ITS MINE”.

He literally has nothing at all for this winter. Good thing his stove is supplementary and he has natural gas. I’m not giving him a single thing so now he’s out working his ass off trying to get things scrounged up.

Call
Me an ass. I dont care.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Somebody at work found out I just got nine truckloads of black locust for free. Logs just need cut a little shorter and split.

Though they are still not ready yet it will be next year.

They offered me $100a cord. LMFAO. I told him i would not give it up for $200 a cord. “But why not” he said.

I replied “Because ITS MINE”.

He literally has nothing at all for this winter. Good thing his stove is supplementary and he has natural gas. I’m not giving him a single thing so now he’s out working his ass off trying to get things scrounged up.

Call
Me an ass. I dont care.

! sounds like the turtle an the hare... lol right on!

Sandhill, do you get any ash logs? Just remembered that you are in a pretty tree covered area so maybe you don't have as good a late drying season as I have. I plan to cut trees down this weekend and will likely split them and sell to burn yet this year. I have a nice gravel based hill where my splits get dropped off the conveyor. We do get a little wind here though, 200 windmills can't be wrong. 22 visible out my front window alone.

We have a few orders for firewood but we really don't sell that much. Like I said earlier I cut the 16" splits 1st and my son tells our "regular" customers that we have the wood ready to go and it's dry in late August. We try to get them to take the delivery before the fall rains hit and every single one waits until it's raining and says they are ready for it now. I used to put a big tarp over the pile but that was a pain and not my problem so I stopped. I intend to build a firewood shelter at some point but I'm not going to any extra work for people who are too lazy to even click yes to a text from my son. Some of the people say they don't have the money so I say just post date a check for November 1st then, still no takers. He delivered the 1st load last weekend to a guy with lots of room inside to stack him wood, the guy asked why so early. It's rained the last 3 days straight.
View attachment 677926

Have them pay in advance. About 75% of my customers pay when they order the wood. Right now I'm backlogged about 100 cords. Starting to catch up a bit though.

Oh boy
adf42bb465d80ab602717d9d3d94dc9d.jpg

Back