Welcome to ArboristSite.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the ArboristSite community.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors

1. Please see this post Click Here Please ask questions if you have them!! I hope this is going to be great for us all.
    Dismiss Notice

Pickaroons

Discussion in 'Firewood, Heating and Wood Burning Equipment' started by svk, Jul 8, 2018.

1. svk

svk Firewood and Saw Collector

What do you have, and how do you like it? Barbed end or straight?

It seems that many I’ve used either dig too far or not enough.

I’d also love to see homemade units.

rarefish383 and Logger nate like this.
  2. svk

@ryansmilling what do you think of that L and M brand pickaroon I brought over? IIRC was the point on that one pretty broad?

rarefish383 likes this.
  3. old guy

old guy Addicted to ArboristSite

Here's one I carved out of an old single bit ax, it seems to work well tho it is a bit heavy.
    And yes it did break where I nicked it with the saw. today 004.jpg

Hinerman, rarefish383, dancan and 2 others like this.
  4. CaseyForrest

CaseyForrest I am NOT a tree freak.

I've got a log rite pick. It works ok but I have no other reference to make a comparison.

I don't use it to pick up rounds, I use it as an extension of my arm for stuff that's out of reach.

Its holding the point nice in hickory and oak. It bounces off the hickory more times than it gets a bite. But it works.

sent from a field

5. Ryan'smilling

Ryan'smilling Addicted to ArboristSite

Hey Steve, I thought that one was okay for the money. Definitely needed some work with a file or Dremel for what I use them for. I definitely think that different tips are better for different applications. Dragging around and lining up 4' pulp wood is different than trying to stick and pick up a round of oak.

Honestly though, compared to the logrite 30" that is my favorite, the L&M didn't seem worth the effort. The quality seemed pretty good, but the design wasn't that great. Like I mentioned, the tip needed a fair amount of material removed, at least to be used in hardwoods like I work with. Also, the grip (glued on tiny rocks) on handle was nice but the handle itself was too thick. If I was gonna use it much, I'd use a spokeshave or something to thin it down to a more comfortable size.

Really, I think the logrite is where it's at. All metal, really really good design, made in the USA, no hassle warranty (I can personally vouch for the warranty), feels great in the hand, lightweight, hard to lose in the woods because of the color, and most importantly it works really well.

6. turnkey4099

turnkey4099 Tree Freak

+1. I have had 4 of them (2 left) Lost one off the truck on the way home. Another I hung on a fence post in my splitting area and haven't seen it since. They ae not for picking up pieces (can be done though) but the balance and desight are 'right on'. Only real weight is out on the pick end just where it is needed. I've used mine to:

Pick up an ax or maul when the fall over.
    Retrieve a chainsaw that fell in a creek (last week)
    Sweep weeds and grass aside when I'm trying to find my tophandle saw that I "just set down"

They also make a pretty fair walking stick

I made an 8' with a closet pole, plumbing compression fitting, and section of 1/2" all thread. Havn't crawled up in the truck bed to unload since.

7. MontanaResident

MontanaResident Addicted to ArboristSite

When I'm tired, any pickaroon is nice to have. Makes rolling logs a nice alternative to moving them with my feet. I have a cheapy one, no markings on it anymore. And my wood cutting buddy has a fiskars. I just grab which ever is closer and notice no difference, but mine has a single bit axe hickory handle that is longer which works better for me.

rarefish383 and svk like this.
  8. rarefish383

rarefish383 Addicted to ArboristSite

I've actually used a single bit as a pick, and it worked well. I figure I have so many axes now, since Steve got me hooked on the Ax Thread, that I'll grind one of the no name ones down. I like the one "old guy" made.

old guy, MontanaResident and svk like this.
  9. muddstopper

muddstopper Addicted to ArboristSite

My FIL had a doublebit axe made into a pic. He wanted something he could chop off a limb with as well as drag wood. Looked neat as heck, but the pick end broke the first time he used it.

I'll have to take a picture of the one I have had for at least 40 years or more. Probably more as I can remember using it as a kid when we used to cut 5ft pulpwood.

dancan and svk like this.
  10. LondonNeil

LondonNeil ArboristSite Guru

bison pickaroon
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bison-20...m=112845782235&_trksid=p2141725.c100338.m3726

you've seen the pictures in the splitting tool thread. not nice to use on the original fat and heavy handle but thankfully that broke after less than a cord, and on a slender hickory stick its lovely. No good for picking up splits from the floor, but great for rounds.

I also use a mortar pick to pick up splits. cheap, works ok...a slightly longer handle would be lovely.
    https://www.yourspares.co.uk/parts/...MIqdT4n5OT3AIVir3tCh3ZVAtCEAQYBSABEgIzbfD_BwE

svk likes this.
  11. crowbuster

crowbuster ArboristSite Guru

love the fiskars. just regulate depth by the force of your swing vs the kind of wood

Logger nate and svk like this.
  12. svk

I have two. One newer one with a barbed end and this one of unknown origin. It works pretty well but is honestly too short so I rarely use it. Thinking I’m going to donate it to the children’s camp as I find myself needing one there regularly to remove PI vines.

CD273F04-578D-43B4-90F1-B8B434E415A1.jpeg

bigbadbob likes this.
  13. Philbert

Philbert Chainsaw Enthusiast

Logger nate and svk like this.
  14. svk

I am sitting at McD's right now about 2 blocks from their retailer. I will check them out and report back.

That axaroon looks promising but I wonder if a straight handle would be better than a curved one.....

Philbert likes this.
  15. svk

I stopped in this afternoon. I’ve known the fellow who runs the retail store since I was about 5 years old. The fellow who actually makes them lives south of town.

These are the same pickaroons that are sold by L and M however they are cheaper here. Price is $23.50 for the 18, 32, or 36”. The 48” is $33.50 as he said the long handle is more expensive to obtain. All handles are from the House Handle co and have the dipped/textured handle grip.

Logger nate, dancan and Philbert like this.
  16. Philbert

Pics of the picks?

Philbert

svk likes this.
  17. svk

Logger nate and Philbert like this.
  18. svk

Oh, also he also said they are discontinuing the axaroon. Not durable enough and difficult to make.

19. Philbert

Any word on macaroons?

Screen shot 2018-07-10 at 7.58.37 PM.png

Philbert

svk and kevin j like this.
  20. Ryan'smilling

Ryan'smilling Addicted to ArboristSite

I thought they looked awfully similar. Seemed like a decent tool, but the Logrite isn't much more money and you never need to replace the handle. Plus, it comes ready to rock right out of the box, which I wouldn't say was the case for the L and M, and least not in oak. Maybe a guy would have better luck with it in poplar or basswood.

svk likes this.