Picked up another splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DDM

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
OKay i was out running errands yesterday and noticed an odd looking splitter
on the side of the road for sale.Just out of idle curiousity i decided to stop and check it out.The pictures show it on life support because it needs rewiring. But it runs good has a chevette engine on it and a 28 GPM pump. Hey for 200.00 why not?

What a beast! I seen that tractor seat on the floor in the second picture. You not planning on mounting that seat and driving that thing down the road are ya? LOL! Gary

down in southern ohio there's quite a few splitters mounted on old truck frames that they DO drive around the woodlot.

i've seen 'em rigged with PTOs, separate motors, or belt driven pumps off the crankshaft pulley.

next time i'm down there cuttin', i'll get a pic or two. some are incredibly ingenious.

BlueRidgeMark said:
THAT's Why not!

:laugh:

LMAO! Yeah I'm not a big fan of the engine its off of a 1976 chevette.
But it does run! Check out the custom built stainless fuel tank on top.

so now you change the oil every three thousand chords??? or what j/k that is like a 90hp splitter throw a 6 way wedge on the end and a huge cylinder on her and get the wood done.

I'll have to rework the pusher it's kinda screwy. LOL Like the rest of it!

DDM said:
LMAO! Yeah I'm not a big fan of the engine its off of a 1976 chevette.
But it does run! Check out the custom built stainless fuel tank on top.

I DID once see a Chevette with a nice engine. Someone had popped in a Datsun 240Z engine! :D

Funny thing was, he said the motor mounts were a bolt up, and so was the bell housing. I saw the engine in there, so I know THAT part was true. About things just bolting up.... I dunno...

Didn't they offer a Chevette with a Cosworth engine at one point? You could build a really pimped out splitter with sub woofers, button-tuft seat...the works!

(and the Chevette connection explains the rust.)

That's one crazy splitter.

How much $$ would your significant other have given you to just walk away?

I think a header and a crome air filter would look good. All kidding aside i would have given the guy $200.00 in a heartbeat.Hell the pump is worth more than that not to mention the detent valve and hoses.

I just think David saw the pics of mine and had to have something bigger!!!
Splitter envy?:D
Nice buy David! Should be interesting to see working pics. and one heck of a conversation piece!
An dy

Well we split about 2 cords today with the beast it runs pretty well. I like the other one much better no bending over to run it. The chevette splitter has plenty of power at an idle.

DDM said:
The chevette splitter has plenty of power at an idle.

I would hope so!!! If memory serves that motor was rated around 86hp! Should be able to run 28gpm at 2500 pretty easy, methinks at least.
Andy

Latest posts

Back