Post cut stump inspection.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stump a or b?

• A

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • B

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Mustang71

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Which stump looks like a better cut.
A20200921_172528.jpg

B20200921_172452.jpg

Stump b was cut by a guy who claims to know how to cut trees and was pushed with a backhoe and 026.

Stump a was cut by me with my makita dcs401 with a 16inch bar which was a bit small for an 18+ inch tree. It had a slight lean. I would never tell someone that I know how to cut trees because there's always someone to make you look like a fool.

Always make sure your go to tree guy knows what he is doing.

Just a fun awareness poll. I won't say which is more correct.

I can't even tell all the crapshows I had to go fix because of cuts like that. Ugh homeowner craftsman special in ma here. One older gent called saying that he cut a dozen or so trees and none made it to the ground could I come get them down for him. Only a couple branches holding the whole mess above his house and garage. Don't do cut B

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I’ve cut with guy b’s before. They are also the guys that won’t take any direction from a guy who knows how to cut a tree or to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I tried to give the guy some advice but he wouldn't listen. Recently I gave him advice to cut a tree leaning toward his power line. I came home from work and his line was down and so was the tree. Guess he didn't take my advice lol.

I tried to give the guy some advice but he wouldn't listen. Recently I gave him advice to cut a tree leaning toward his power line. I came home from work and his line was down and so was the tree. Guess he didn't take my advice lol.

Yup. Same story different guy here. I just don’t go “falling” with him anymore. I’ll saw logs or run splitter with him, but I’ve seen him drop too many trees 90 degrees or better from there intended direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am curious how much he owed the power company after that one?

I am curious how much he owed the power company after that one?

Its his power line he put it in himself. I let him cut all the trees on the edge of my property that are dead because I won't take on that responsibility of dropping one on his line. When I told him he could cut them i wasnt expecting to see stumps looking like that. I figured at 75 years old and burning wood for 50 years he would be halfway good at cutting down a tree.. never assume.

Its his power line he put it in himself. I let him cut all the trees on the edge of my property that are dead because I won't take on that responsibility of dropping one on his line. When I told him he could cut them i wasnt expecting to see stumps looking like that. I figured at 75 years old and burning wood for 50 years he would be halfway good at cutting down a tree.. never assume.
Still scary!

Both are quite tall.
That's what happens when old guys are cutting them. Son can come back and flush cut the stump or I do, like to be standing so I can exit faster, not fast but faster. I have a 4-5' stump out back from a triple and with it being 5' around, that's how it will rot away.

That's what happens when old guys are cutting them. Son can come back and flush cut the stump or I do, like to be standing so I can exit faster, not fast but faster. I have a 4-5' stump out back from a triple and with it being 5' around, that's how it will rot away.

Old guys? I'm 31 lol ill get to it when I get to it. Its in my yard so ill get to it the other scary looking one is in the woods. I may cut it so no one things I made the cut lol.

I helped a crew cut trees along the road this spring. The backhoe put pressure on the tree and you didn't even do a face cut really, just back cut it and he'd flatten it off the hinge on the front. Took around 2 minutes to set up and drop it.

I helped a crew cut trees along the road this spring. The backhoe put pressure on the tree and you didn't even do a face cut really, just back cut it and he'd flatten it off the hinge on the front. Took around 2 minutes to set up and drop it.
I would still think a face cut would be prudent to make sure the tree doesn't want to tip to the side.

Back