Poulan 401 Info

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwkbiker

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My brother gave a used Poulan 401 to me around 1980. I've searched unsuccessfully for info about it, i.e., displacement, horsepower, reputation, purpose (pulpwood?), etc. It's a manual oiler. Hard nose bar. Compression is about 145 - Just checked it tonight - 8 very aggressive pulls. I've compared cut speed, in 18" Pine & Sweet Gum, it to my Stihl MS 310 (tuned outside factory allowance) - both tuned in wood & with my hand filed chains - it seems to cut just a little slower than the 310. Also, the oiler needs help - pump strokes feel like they are mostly air. Thanks for any info & suggestions for repairing the oil pump.

Last edited:
Sorry, I don't have a way to provide pictures. However, based on pictures I've seen, it would say it looks identical to a Poulan 361.

Sorry, I don't have a way to provide pictures. However, based on pictures I've seen, it would say it looks identical to a Poulan 361.

I had a 401 and it is the same looking saw as the 361 with more black paint and a different muffler. I know it is a more rare than a 361 mine was the only one I ever seen. Can't remember the cc size but I know it is larger than the 59cc 361.

Well the 400A is a 65cc saw and I would surmise that the 401 and 400A would be the same BASIC saw.
The oiler should be close to the same as the 361.
I will look through my IPLs and see what I can find.

Mike

My son has the same saw his has 185psi compession and seems to have had very little use. It runs out fast for a old saw, I believe it is 4 cu in or 65 cc. I have a question does anybody know where the tank vent is I had to drill the cap on his! It has a hs 30 tillotson carb and seems to use the same clutch and drum a 361 would use.

Matt

I have a 361

I also downloaded a service manual supposed to be for a 361 originally
linked by Thomas 72. If that would help, send me a PM with e-mail address and then pass it on, I have dial up, it is slow.
will check PM's tomorrow.

I've not repaired the manual oiler yet, but it works well enough to keep the chain oiled well with no problem. This week I had a chance to run it for a while, here in Birmingham AL, following the 4-27-11 storms. The saw runs really good. There is just something special about running/cutting with a 40+ year old saw. It has a lot of grunt as you put a load on it, and the sound when you balance the load and RPM for max cutting speed - What a day of fun.

I'm new to this site and maybe not used to "PM". I tried what I thought was correct, but didn't find response. Any info about a Poulan 401 would be welcomed.

Just going on the likelyhood that the 401 is just like a 361 you can remove the manual oiler plunger with the nut under the button. Replace the larger 'O'ring if it is hard or worn. The outlet elbow at the oil tank contains a ball check and it may have some trash keeping the ball from seating. A blast of GumOut or brake cleaner will clear it.
Carl.

Here is my 401.

I know there was a 400 and a 400A as well and to be honest, I'm not sure what differences there is between the 400 and the 401.

My 401 came with a stripped out Power Sharp bar cover that I thought was original to the saw and that is what I thought was the main difference between it and the 400.

But the only IPL's that I have for a 401 do not show the Power Sharp on them. I still believe my cover is original to the saw as the paint matches the rest of the saw perfectly.

The are 4 CI or 65cc and do run pretty well.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

That's what mine was, a 401A and it did'nt have the auto sharpener on it either.

That's what mine was, a 401A and it did'nt have the auto sharpener on it either.

John, like the IPLs show, no power sharp so thanks for adding that yours didnt have one.

My cover could have been changed no doubt, but if it didnt come on this saw, I still dont know what model in this series did have a power sharp.

Mark, I have no idea about the PS on these saws. There is just no info out there on the 400-401 saws that I could ever find.:confused:

I know that mine had a good amount of power for the size and age of the saw.

Your right about the very little info. I have been keeping my eyes open for 400-400A saws and manuals.

I like the 401 and was planning on bringing it to Greggs. I mostly just appears to be a larger displacement 361.

Latest posts

Back