Poulan Pro PP4620AVX oiler problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seagram

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
First off, I love this saw. It's served me very well. I bought it new and used it heavy for 3 years without anything but basic maintenance. In 2011 we had an insane October snow storm that brought down trees all over town (leaves were still green). I worked for a month straight with this saw, helping the neighbors clear fallen trees and cutting up trees around town for firewood. Now the downside. The oiler doesn't seem to get enough oil to the chain. I can tell because the chain gets wood burned onto it and it feels dry to the touch. I took the bar and chain off, ran it and the oil pump looks like it's working fine cause the oil streams out of the hole while it's running, just doesn't seem to make it onto the chain!!!!

Are there any mods anyone can suggest to get the oiler to work better? I've been shopping around for a new saw because of this problem. I'd love to run this thing to the ground if possible, but this problem is getting frustrating, especially because it's killing a new commercial chain I just bought for it today. No joke, with that chain this thing was cutting as good as some of the Husky XPs. I'd like to keep it that way.

They cut very well, it's basically the same saw as my older 2775. You need to troubleshoot it one step at a time - if the oiler pumps then you need to make sure the oil passages in the bar are open and that the bar seals up against the area of the housing where the oil comes out. Clean the bar groove too. Also make sure the chain is sharp so it's not just cooking the oil off the bar.

Last, parts are cheap if you need a new pump.

I believe there are holes in the bar coming from where the bar studs are down to the chain. Make sure they are not plugged up. I have a PP 295 which basicly the same thing and the oiler comes out I believe between the bar studs.

Like these guys said, these are pretty good saws. I love mine, it has served me very well. I would check the bar groove and oiler holes to see if they are clear. How sharp is your chain? That will make a difference. Also, are you cutting in real cold weather? You might need a lighter weight oil in the cold weather.

Nick

They cut very well, it's basically the same saw as my older 2775. You need to troubleshoot it one step at a time - if the oiler pumps then you need to make sure the oil passages in the bar are open and that the bar seals up against the area of the housing where the oil comes out. Clean the bar groove too. Also make sure the chain is sharp so it's not just cooking the oil off the bar.

Last, parts are cheap if you need a new pump.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Now that you mention it, I'm wondering if the clutch plate isn't fitting on tight enough leaving a gap in that housing area that meets the bar. I've been considering retro-fitting the clutch plate with the old style tension system thinking maybe the two nuts will give a tighter fit than the big plastic knob which only secures it to one stud.

@ 3000 FPS , Yup, that's where the oil comes out on mine.

@ Nick, The weather has been pretty warm. I'll try running something through the grooves since I have sort of neglected those... does the oil actually distribute through the grooves?

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies guys.

Now that you mention it, I'm wondering if the clutch plate isn't fitting on tight enough leaving a gap in that housing area that meets the bar. I've been considering retro-fitting the clutch plate with the old style tension system thinking maybe the two nuts will give a tighter fit than the big plastic knob which only secures it to one stud.

@ 3000 FPS , Yup, that's where the oil comes out on mine.

@ Nick, The weather has been pretty warm. I'll try running something through the grooves since I have sort of neglected those... does the oil actually distribute through the grooves?

Like has been said, clean the bar grooves and make sure the oil holes in the bottom of the groove into the adjuster holes is open, then keep your chain sharp and your problems will probably disappear.

Like has been said, clean the bar grooves and make sure the oil holes in the bottom of the groove into the adjuster holes is open, then keep your chain sharp and your problems will probably disappear.

It's a brand new commercial blade so it's very sharp. I cleaned out the grooves and oil holes and while it seems a little better it's still pretty dry. I'll keep tinkering. I think I read somewhere that you can widen the hole on the housing with a drill. Just wondering if anyone has tried anything like that.

Latest posts

Back