Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We got a deal! In return, what would you like me to keep on the lookout on your end. Jonered/ Poulans? If so, I can... Hope to see ya there. I dont know how long we are going to stay, probably will be there around 10 or so.

I wont be there till 3ish. Have a football game to watch first.

I'm trying to get rid of saws and not really looking for anything right now :msp_tongue:. Matter of fact I have to deliver a saw to a new owner at the gtg. ;)

I sale 1 and 2 more show up in trades. :msp_ohmy::dizzy:

I wont be there till 3ish. Have a football game to watch first.

I'm trying to get rid of saws and not really looking for anything right now :msp_tongue:. Matter of fact I have to deliver a saw to a new owner at the gtg. ;)

I sale 1 and 2 more show up in trades. :msp_ohmy::dizzy:

What have I bought from you now???
Is it paid for yet???:msp_confused:

Mike

Went and got all rebadged Poulan, LOL!
[video=youtube_share;xo2jBPAKfsU]http://youtu.be/xo2jBPAKfsU[/video]
Junky chipper chain. I dragged a file on it, but, meh! Waitin' on a proper bar and some chisel.

While this may be the best all-around saw ever made, it doesn't do ripping well. Not the saw's fault. It's designed for a chainbrake (for which I have most of the parts), and similarly equipped saws just don't clear curlies like the older Homies and Macs. Just sayin'. Love this saw, though.
[video=youtube_share;BxNCvaAavyY]http://youtu.be/BxNCvaAavyY[/video]

Ok, since my memory ain't the greatest, I went out and took a few pics of the ign. & flywheels on my 203 & 306's. There was some talk of differences a couple pages back.

This first one is my 203

This is my 306A (Thirty-O-Six) on the decal.
306ign004.jpg

Gregg,

I had thought there was no difference between the Wico and ND flywheels, and thats why Carl threw me off.

That picture right there shows a ND flywheel with a Wico coil. Like I said earlier I have seen ND ign's on some of the early 306's. I think my Thirty-O-Six has a ND coil on it.

The early 306's also had the dipped plastic on the handles, not the later ones though.

I found one other difference today while putting the Speigel back together. Seems they have no studs built in to the FW side case to hold the point box gasket in place and of course the gaskets are different.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Seems this ole gal still has a pretty good looking piston in it.

attachment.php

Went and got all rebadged Poulan, LOL!
[video=youtube_share;xo2jBPAKfsU]http://youtu.be/xo2jBPAKfsU[/video]
Junky chipper chain. I dragged a file on it, but, meh! Waitin' on a proper bar and some chisel.

Well even if it aint cuttin good it sure does sound good!

Dont forget to wear your back brace when lifting it around. :laugh: They aint no lightweights. Wait, I know you throw those old Macs around so never mind, that Polmar wont hurt you any!

Seriously, nice saw you got there.

I'm going to take my 6000 to the GTG this week to try the 3/8's setup on it that I havent got to try yet.

Love to hit that GTG, Mark. There'll be a pile of fellas I want to meet, but it's an "on" weekend for me at work. Started this job too recently to ask for it off and I "need" the next weekend off for the Great Lakes Classic. Y'all have a good time. I'll be thinkin' about it. You're right, this Poulmar ain't light, but she's never too heavy, HAHA!

Speaking of the Speigel, its now back together and running like a new one. Chris came over today as I was doing the final assy on it and I got stumped when I found it had no spark. Chris was watching me and noticed it sparking from the plug wire to the cyl cover.

Pulled plug wire out and found we did have spark, just a bad spot on the high tension lead coating. Found a piece of heat shrink tubing the right size and cover most of the lead with it and that fixed it. It runs like a champ now.

We took it out back and did some cuts with it, and it just sings in the wood, just like a good 74cc Poulan should.

I'm really happy to find this saw, cant be many around, if there even is another somewhere.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Love to hit that GTG, Mark. There'll be a pile of fellas I want to meet, but it's an "on" weekend for me at work. Started this job too recently to ask for it off and I "need" the next weekend off for the Great Lakes Classic. Y'all have a good time. I'll be thinkin' about it. You're right, this Poulmar ain't light, but she's never too heavy, HAHA!

Too bad about the work thing, but I understand completly.

Been dealing with work getting in my way of fun for years and years. :msp_smile:

Gtg

I had planned on making the drive out this year, had it planned out and knew the saws that were going. Then my wifes friends decide to have an engagement party in Maine this weekend:bang:. Sucks. Maybe Ill find a saw or 2 while Im up there. One of these years Ill get out there, Im sure you guys will have a blast. Take a lot of pictures.

Mark, That is great rare old find, that I would be proud to own. That being said. I never knew that Spiegel carried saws. I'm not familiar with Spiegels, but sounds like a place my mother or grandmother might have shopped. :ices_rofl:

:cheers:
Gregg,

I would not have thought the chainsaws came under the heading of home furnishings.:laugh:

On another note: Fellow dropped off his tophandle 38cc Woodshark, engine family TPWO38USB2RA:EM. Tree fell on it and broke the handle at the rear.

Is this a 2300 (ish) for parts search purposes?

Looks like I shouldn't have thrown away the gray tophandle Craftsmen carcass............................................:censored:

What about Speigel, was it just a catalog sales company or did they have actual brick and mortor stores?

They had a store in Bloomington, Indiana when I lived there years ago but it was just a place where you could go to place an order rather than mailing it. I think that store has been gone for years now. Sears, to the best of my knowledge and memory was about the same except they did have some merchandise in the store. The main difference I've noticed in all businesses is that back then none were open on Sunday. I liked it better that way.

I would not have thought the chainsaws came under the heading of home furnishings.:laugh:

On another note: Fellow dropped off his tophandle 38cc Woodshark, engine family TPWO38USB2RA:EM. Tree fell on it and broke the handle at the rear.

Is this a 2300 (ish) for parts search purposes?

Looks like I shouldn't have thrown away the gray tophandle Craftsmen carcass............................................:censored:

All the Wood Sharks I've seen are the newish types, like the Wild Thing. I prefer the gray top handle 2300s to the Shark.

Did J.C. Penny carry saws in their catalog? I seem to remember from years ago, they had a line of tools etc. that went by the name of Penncraft. If they did. Did Poulan build saws for them too? Big as Penny's was, at one time, you would think there would be some settin around collecting dust.

Gregg,

Did J.C. Penny carry saws in their catalog? I seem to remember from years ago, they had a line of tools etc. that went by the name of Penncraft. If they did. Did Poulan build saws for them too? Big as Penny's was, at one time, you would think there would be some settin around collecting dust.

Gregg,

I don't remember JCPenny selling much other than household things and clothes as a habit. Sometimes they tried selling things like golf clubs, tools and a few other things but I don't remember any saws.

Latest posts

Back