Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it sits on the top left side of the handle near the oil button
OK, thanks Acornhill. I see where it goes. Mine is missing, but it turns out you can use the idle screw from a Walbro and thread it in the normal place near the throttle shutter on the carb.
Do you know what that governor valve does?

Finished putting the TA 3750 together today. It is going to be a great running saw. Great throttle response starts and idles very well. Have not had it in wood yet and plan on taking a compression test just to see where it ended up. I did a few mods to it since I had it completely apart and put in a new piston and rings. This saw will get used and not really something for looking at. I have another which is better looking but after the mods I do not think it will cut as good as this one.
001.JPG

Finished putting the TA 3750 together today. It is going to be a great running saw. Great throttle response starts and idles very well. Have not had it in wood yet and plan on taking a compression test just to see where it ended up. I did a few mods to it since I had it completely apart and put in a new piston and rings. This saw will get used and not really something for looking at. I have another which is better looking but after the mods I do not think it will cut as good as this one.

Nice lookin'!

View attachment 320126

Looking forward to your cutting video

I've been looking for a nice TA for some time. Only good one I've had offered up was $500. Obviously it was the same as "not for sale".

It says scored topend. ;)

Yes, I see that. If the 380 had said scored top end, I would probably have still bought it. The thing that irked me was the fact that it wasn't disclosed, and the seller was in there sanding things. That one was probably going to need a jug because of it. Maybe the TA needs a jug, maybe not. I'll gamble. I have been on kind of a tear buying saws lately, so I'll not get into this one too deep. Now that word is out, it'll probably go above my pain threshold.

OK, thanks Acornhill. I see where it goes. Mine is missing, but it turns out you can use the idle screw from a Walbro and thread it in the normal place near the throttle shutter on the carb.

The governor prevents the saw from reving to high out of the cut. If operating properly the saw should 4 stoke out of the cut and clear up while cutting. If it doesn't you can disable the governor by removing the plug and inserting a blocking device like a piece of aluminum pie plate cut to fit in the opening. ModifiedMark knows a lot re the governor.

I'm thankful for the Poulans I do have. But always need (want) more.:D Seeing how I don't have kids or grand kids. I'm thankful for the misfit mob of malcontents, nerds, saw nuts, old geezers, and the darn best group of friends a person could have!!:eek:

PoulanGTG041_zps80746785.jpg

Gregg,

I'm thankful for the Poulans I do have. But always need (want) more.:D Seeing how I don't have kids or grand kids. I'm thankful for the misfit mob of malcontents, nerds, saw nuts, old geezers, and the darn best group of friends a person could have!!:eek:

PoulanGTG041_zps80746785.jpg

Gregg,

I am in the boat with you Gregg. No kids no grandkids. Lots of nephews and nieces though. Some of the people I know are always amazed at how many hobbies I have and I just say no kids, lots of friends.

Like Bob said, the governor is used to keep the saw from over revving out of the cut. It works by the vibrations of the saw and when run too high it lets a spring loaded ball inside the governor bounce off a seat and lets it dump extra fuel mix into the carb's venturi, effectively flood the engine some to slow it back down.

It also keeps you from tuning the high side of the carb without being in the wood. Don't worry about the governor as if its working right its no trouble as long as you just remember to start with the H screw at 1 turn out then tune it the rest of the way while cutting in the wood. If you don't have the right screw driver to use to unscrew the governor, you will damage it to the point it will be near impossible to get out.

As for the idle screw, when using the one you put on the carb itself, you now have a open hole to the carb, bypassing the air filter. You need to find the correct screw and spring for it. I probably have one but am short on time to find it and send it out.

Thanks Mark, for the explanation on how the governor works. Think I'll leave it alone unless it causes problems. As for the idle screw, I did install one on the carb itself, but I blocked off that hole on the case with a dab of silicone. The right idle screw would be better, but at least I don't have an open hole bypassing the air filter. If you have a spare, I sure won't turn it down.

Lee,
Here are a bunch of pics of the 3400 series chain brake with the wire handle. I have a few and the engagement lever does touch your hand when holding the front handlebar. I find that really annoying and if I had the plain clutch covers they would go on the saws in place of the brake covers. I don't have a brake band in my 285 and push the handle forward to keep it off my hand.
I have quite a few pics so I will likely have to post in a few replies. Let me know if you have any questions.

Back