Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Poulan with a bunch of rebranded parts on it

-•------------------------------------------------------------

Just a home owner that likes the older better made machines

Craftsman 3.7
Echo 290evl
Husqvarna 36

Went to check the ring end gap on my 3.7 before reassembly with the base gakset. I can't find my feeler gauge right now but a 5/64ths (~.078) allen wrench will fit with space to spare. That is a little large isn't it?

Poulan with a bunch of rebranded parts on it

-•------------------------------------------------------------

Just a home owner that likes the older better made machines

Craftsman 3.7
Echo 290evl
Husqvarna 36

You said you were looking for a top handle craftsman saw. I know when I can get two complete ones. Are you interested?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Went to check the ring end gap on my 3.7 before reassembly with the base gakset. I can't find my feeler gauge right now but a 5/64ths (~.078) allen wrench will fit with space to spare. That is a little large isn't it?

When you take into account the ring pin, I don't believe it is. Remember unlike other saws the rings have blunt ends and butt up to the pin. I have a spare 3700 P&C and measured the ring pin at .056".

When you take into account the ring pin, I don't believe it is. Remember unlike other saws the rings have blunt ends and butt up to the pin. I have a spare 3700 P&C and measured the ring pin at .056".
. Hmm, I hadn't thought of that. Thanks for the measurement. Still that seems large. I could order a set of rings as a backup. I suspect new rings would have a closer tolerance. Off to partstree to price rings.

A brand new 104 DL loop of Poulan chain to finish it off. If there is one thing I don't like doing it is spinning loops of chain.
926a4c32e00652c35100f92852f2ab66.jpg

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

I saw your Poulan 3700 listed on fleaBay yesterday, I might have to give it a kickstart bid to get it going down the road....

Not much wear on the handle. Looks like it could be a low usage saw. Very Nice Tim.

The owner said he hadn't used it much in the last 7 years. He had a stunning 57 Pontiac convertible with a 347 in it. He bought the car in Indiana in the late 50's.
He was a very interesting guy.

So my 3.7 has a vac and pressure leak. I get to spend some quality time with it and a bottle of windex. I did a base gasket delete so hopefully it is that or something else simple. And hopefully not the case gasket from me trying and failing to split the case.

So my 3.7 has a vac and pressure leak. I get to spend some quality time with it and a bottle of windex. I did a base gasket delete so hopefully it is that or something else simple. And hopefully not the case gasket from me trying and failing to split the case.

The cases usually split very easily on those. Did you get all 9 screws out? I haven't seen one with a case gasket even though they made them. Most are just sealed up.

I meant sealer, sorry. I counted 9 screws that I took out of the flywheel side of the case and I could not get it to budge. I could just barely see a crack of light when I had it by the rear av mounts. I tried hard. No hercules but I think I used enough force to split it, were it that easy. I was going to bevel the case to help the seals slip in but was able to do it with a knife while the cranks was in.

On the base gasket delete, I see a lot of squeezed out motoseal.

I guess you guys thibk I am the biggest newbie, lol.

Back