Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tasted my first snow flakes this afternoon in the mountains.

Found a nice windfall doug fir to punch a 3400 into. Brought home another truck of 18" - 20" green rounds. They will be for next year. Saw ran really well in the cool weather. Pulled some nice chips and it fed perfectly. But, I'd be darned if I didn't get the phantom vapor lock (or flood) symptoms after I let it sit for a few minutes after a fill up. In spite of relieving tank pressure, shaking the tank, holding the throttle wide open etc., I could not get it to sputter. Ended up having to pull the plug a couple of times and pull it over a whole bunch. Started and ran fine again.

Probably going to fire up our wood stove for the first time this season. I've lots of very dry fuel to get through.

Let the wood games begin.

Is anyone familiar with the craftsman model numbers? I have two red 3.7 craftsmans.
One is 358.354831
The other is 358.354870
What is the difference between these two? They look the same.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tasted my first snow flakes this afternoon in the mountains.

Found a nice windfall doug fir to punch a 3400 into. Brought home another truck of 18" - 20" green rounds. They will be for next year. Saw ran really well in the cool weather. Pulled some nice chips and it fed perfectly. But, I'd be darned if I didn't get the phantom vapor lock (or flood) symptoms after I let it sit for a few minutes after a fill up. In spite of relieving tank pressure, shaking the tank, holding the throttle wide open etc., I could not get it to sputter. Ended up having to pull the plug a couple of times and pull it over a whole bunch. Started and ran fine again.

Probably going to fire up our wood stove for the first time this season. I've lots of very dry fuel to get through.

Let the wood games begin.

I have had that happen before. I think it is due to the altitude that your are cutting at. That is why I carry more than one saw when up in the mountains.

Is anyone familiar with the craftsman model numbers? I have two red 3.7 craftsmans.
One is 358.354831
The other is 358.354870
What is the difference between these two? They look the same.
Thanks

Going for the Sears IPL's which have many parts missing,

One is 358.354831 Appears to be a 3800
The other is 358.354870 Appears to be a 3700

Pull the muffler cover off and look at the rings through the exhaust port

Thin ring is 3700

Thick ring is 3800.

thick ring thin ring.jpg thick ring thin ring.jpg

Going for the Sears IPL's which have many parts missing,

One is 358.354831 Appears to be a 3800
The other is 358.354870 Appears to be a 3700

Pull the muffler cover off and look at the rings through the exhaust port

Thin ring is 3700

Thick ring is 3800.

View attachment 608277 View attachment 608277

Thanks! I pulled the muffler on the one with part number ending in 870, it is a thin ring chrome bore cylinder saw. The saw is kinda rough looking but it complete and has good compression. I have not pulled the muffler off the other one. It is like new but needs a carburetor kit. I guess it is not true that the red craftsmans are chrome bore and the grey ones are bare bore.

Thanks! I pulled the muffler on the one with part number ending in 870, it is a thin ring chrome bore cylinder saw. The saw is kinda rough looking but it complete and has good compression. I have not pulled the muffler off the other one. It is like new but needs a carburetor kit. I guess it is not true that the red craftsmans are chrome bore and the grey ones are bare bore.

I guess not but most of the red ones are 3700's and the grey ones are 3800's it seems.

I have seen all different ways, red powersharp saws were 3800, gray I have seen as 3400 & 3800

I dont want it but can get it 1 owner 8500. I dont want to pay the asking price or even near it to get in right hands. I know good saws and impressed with them. But I just dont do this series.

What are they selling for or be willing to pay to have me drive 3hrs round trip to get. Folks on my website already know about it so be quick in PM's if interested. Pic in the 8500 thread there.

Thanks for all the PM's thats what I figured close to too. I figured if I couldnt get it for 200 I wasnt even going to look at it. Guy on my site said he would want me to get it for 300. But no go. ;)
Just got to laugh at some folks and what they think something is worth. :lol:

Thanks for all the PM's thats what I figured close to too. I figured if I couldnt get it for 200 I wasnt even going to look at it. Guy on my site said he would want me to get it for 300. But no go. ;)
Just got to laugh at some folks and what they think something is worth. :lol:
Yup. There's a 3700 on EBay with a busted rear handle. Only asking $395.

Latest posts

Back