• Please be aware that we have recently gotten a wave of users that, when researched, are found to be from Nigeria. They are trying to sell products and asking to be paid through Zelle or Venmo leaving users with no recourse if they don't ship the product. If you suspect this activity please contact admin and we will research their information to verify their location.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors
Peak Industries

Pushing trees with a trackhoe.

A. Stanton

A. Stanton

Addicted to ArboristSite
Kubota Tractor 1 Oak Tree 0

Used my little Kubota today to finish off some stumps that I'm clearing. This oak stump was a mother.

pickwood

pickwood

ArboristSite Operative
Man thats got to hard on the little Kubota. I like to use a 45# plus excavator on the big trees-we use a Cat 963 with sweeps on the smaller stuff. We clear a lot of acres with two good operators.:chainsaw:

dieseldave

dieseldave

ArboristSite Operative
A company around here shears the trees, than has a couple of 245's fitted with railroad cribbing buckets, pop the stumps out. Than, its off to the tub they go.
Hey Nils, I'm in mullica, too, how 'bout that? I didn't know anyone had any 245's around here. Here's a pic of my old D9- good for pushin trees, but ya gotta watch your head.

Cowboy Billy

Cowboy Billy

ArboristSite Operative
I have been pushing over a lot of trees in the last three years. Making roads to and around our 120 acres in michigans UP. I had to make a road across a 1/4 mile of my uncles property just to get to ours through woods. Started off renting a case 550.

We bought a old case W-14 loader 16000lbs then a JD-450 dozer 14500lbs. Both are kinda small for clearing but I have pushed over 22" poplar and pine/spruce with both. And up to 20" birch. All I have for a back hoe is a 21hp B21 kubota. And that doesn't do much for digging out stumps!! I found for what I am doing if I don't push the tree over I cant get the stumps out with my little dozer. You have to be really carefull cutting off a big root ball from the trees as they want to fall over on you. Also it can get quite a side load on the trunk and when you cut it off it can jump sideways a couple of feet.

The Biggest problem I have is having the tree I am pushing hitting a dead tree and having that come down and fall over the cab or dropping limbs on the hood. You also have to go really really slow pushing over a dead tree or the will break apart as it comes down.

Billy

poulson01

poulson01

ArboristSite Operative
What I do is, after pushing it over, I pick at the root ball and get as much weight off it as I can. All the loose dirt and roots that will come off.
I'm using a mini mind you.
I start limbing at the skinny end and work my way to the stump. I usually wind up holding the stump with the machine while I cut it off the tree.

AKDoug

AKDoug

Pro Staff
I knock 'em over. Grab the stump down as close as I can to the root ball with the thumb and shake off as much dirt as possible. I let go and grab the tree about 4' up and let the cutter cut off the stump. I set the tree down and while the cutter limbs the tree. While he's doing that I grab the root ball in the thumb and put it on the burn or haul off pile. Once the tree is limbed and topped i grab the log and put it on the pile. Every once in a while I will swing around and grab a few tops and put them on the burn pile.

I used to fall trees and move them with the excavator. It's way faster and safer to do it the way I now do it above. 315 or 320 Cat works perfect for this in my country.