How would you handle this pine?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason280

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a pine about 2-3' off the rear of one of my shops, probably an 18-24" diameter tree that is likely close to 55' tall. I should have taken this tree down when I built the shop, but that's another story. Normally, I would simply dig/break the roots up all around the tree, and push it over with the backhoe. Problem is, I can't really get behind the tree to push it without knocking a lot of other trees over, which I am trying to avoid. Looks like it would potentially be a simple notch and back cut, but I'm not 100%. Not sure if you can tell from the pics, but the first 8' or so actually curves a bit toward the shop before it straightens up. Not only that, but just about every limb is on the shop side of the tree, which means the weight will want to pull it that way.

Short of still trying to get behind it to push with the tractor, how would you tackle this pine? Maybe climb 15-20', attach a line, and try pulling/guiding it down? Of course, my worst fear is dropping in on the shop....or possibly the tree bucking back up against the shop wall as it falls. Am I overthinking this?

nCF3VXm.jpg

FxAlAEZ.jpg

jIOSdDu.jpg

tS5pNUR.jpg

5YslOvU.jpg

z5J5GdO.jpg

q4PiaDj.jpg

jw8NEzY.jpg

UbyoXLN.jpg

A line 15-20’ up that tree will do nothing. If you’re questioning this, This removal isn’t for you. Hire a professional and don’t worry about it. My buddy that owns a tree service would probably shoot the line in it with the beanbag launcher, pull it and drop it for a case of beer and leave it for me to clean up and buck it.

I'd be really interested in hearing an explanation on this comment.

It’s all about angles & leverage.

15-20’ will probably end up breaking a pull line & having it spring back. 3/4 of the tree height is a good rough guide for a high line.

Pines hinge & steer well, and that is a simple job for a professional, but for an amateur there a number of small nuances in that tree to potentially make the outcome less desirable.

It’s all about angles & leverage.

15-20’ will probably end up breaking a pull line & having it spring back. 3/4 of the tree height is a good rough guide for a high line.

Pines hinge & steer well, and that is a simple job for a professional, but for an amateur there a number of small nuances in that tree to potentially make the outcome less desirable.
So what would be the correct height

So what would be the correct height
Without seeing it in person, would say approx 40ft (trying to think imperial is hard).

18m (55ft) is a small tree for us, a hand thrown weight over the second set of laterals & 16mm pull line wrapped back around main stem, base tied at 2m.

Would also letterbox humbolt it, wide hinge, with felling cuts near ground level to lay it softly to reduce any kickback.

I’ve cut a bunch of pine and that one, from your pictures shouldn’t be a problem. I would cut the felling notch kinda steep and as long as you have enough room to drive wedges, you’ll have it on the ground in just a few minutes.

Latest posts

Back