Questions on HD Makita 6421

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nwroller

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all,
I posted a thread the other day about getting a bigger saw. I am going to check out a previously rented HD Makita DCS642120Q today and have a few questions:

• What should I look for on these to make sure it is a good saw? I know very little about this stuff still so I have no idea how to test the compression rate (or even what that is to be honest) but if there are some things to watch out for I'd like to know as I walk in later today.
  • Looks like it sells for $322 but I have seen another negotiate that down to like $250 - is that rare or something I should be able to do?
  • While I can use it as is if it checks out, should I be looking to replace the 20" bar and/or chain right away or will it be good to go as is?
  • Others on the thread above suggested I get a longer 28/32 bar as I am tall and don't have the best back. Will this saw run that, or should I look into doing the 7900 upgrade if I wanted to go that route? I'd be more concerned about the oiler than the power I think as I am not going to be bar deep at 28" all that often (maybe 1 day a year)
  • Anything else I should be thinking about?
Thank you all, really enjoying this community!
a6b85cf4-303b-49d1-b00a-e6ff3b7ef903_dcs642120_p_1500px.png

stock pic added because pics make a thread better

I picked one up in March and have been very happy with it so far
-I started and ran the saw at the store. You could tell from the pull the on the starter rope that the saw had plenty of compression. I did not ask to remove the muffler to see the piston/cylinder but based on the way the saw ran and the pull on the rope I wasn't too concerned.
-I talked them down to $279 plus tax
-Mine came with a new no-name safety chain, I made a couple cuts and threw the chain away. It was complete junk. I didn't see a problem with the 20" bar but I later put a 24" bar on mine and it runs it great in the wood I deal with (fir, hemlock, etc)
-I have not run longer than 24" on the 6421 but the long term plan is 7910 kit with a 28"
-So far I have been completely happy with the purchase and in my area (very expensive used saw market) I think you would be hard pressed to buy a better running $300 saw short of a "You Suck" type deal.

Edit - I see you are also in WA so you know how expensive the used market is. People want $250 for worn out MS250 and Husky 455 ranchers. The 6421 is far superior than most everything on Seattle craiglist in the <$300 range.

Post what you think about the balance. I looked at them twice, and they felt nose heavy to me with the stock bar at HD. Others really like it, so maybe it's my lack of experience with bigger saws.

I agree, the 6241 is more nose heavy that a 372xt. Haven't run the 46X series of Stihl so can't comment there.

Well I made the purchase. Got it for $285+tax. It had been sitting on the rack for over a month so it was easy to get it cheaper. It started right up and ran strong. Not sure I'll do the 7900 mod, but I will get the longest bar it will support in a light version (for balance). It did not feel nose heavy to me in fact felt well balanced, but I don't have significant experience with saws so I am not a good judge.

Well I made the purchase. Got it for $285+tax. It had been sitting on the rack for over a month so it was easy to get it cheaper. It started right up and ran strong. Not sure I'll do the 7900 mod, but I will get the longest bar it will support in a light version (for balance). It did not feel nose heavy to me in fact felt well balanced, but I don't have significant experience with saws so I am not a good judge.
If you go the 7900 build up use OEM kit.

You picked a hell of a first saw. Be careful. That saw could do you some damage. I have one and it's a great saw. Up until I got it I was running 30-45cc saws. The Makita 6421 is a different animal and I bought chaps. Its just not as nimble as small saws and seems a lot less forgiving, therefore the chainsaw chaps. You got a great saw and it will hall the mail.

Congrats! Let us know what you think once you have had a chance to run it.

I got one of those hd makitas a couple months ago. They wouldn't budge on price but did throw in another chain. I believe it is tri-link chain. I had to grind the shark fin down on the safety links, they were taller then the raker, lol.

I have the originals 20" bar and a 24" bar, the saw is more nimble in 10" to 16" wood with the 20" bar. In bigger wood it pulls the 24 just fine. The 6421 is the same saw as a 7910 just with a smaller piston and cylinder. The oiler is designed for a 28 to 32 inch bar.

Thank you all again. Yeah, I think chaps are in my near future. Good to know the oiler is the same. Does anyone have a light weight 28"bar and chain they would recommend? I know the Stihl ES Light get good reviews, but I don't think they fit this saw.

Thank you all again. Yeah, I think chaps are in my near future. Good to know the oiler is the same. Does anyone have a light weight 28"bar and chain they would recommend? I know the Stihl ES Light get good reviews, but I don't think they fit this saw.
You need a D009 Mount.

Good choice. I don't need another saw but am very interested in the Dolkita 6100 on up to 7900. Lots of good reviews on these saws. I do have Dolmar 421 and love it.

I have a 28” ES light for my PS6400, converted with OEM 7910 top end. I was actually just using it in some eucalyptus fully buried, it cuts with authority. You’ll need to buy an adapter to run a Stihl bar, ford150 sells them cheap.
My preference is to run it with the 20” bar though.

Latest posts

Back