Rayco RG45 vs Carlton 5014

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A Wallace

Collegeville Tree
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm buying a stump grinder soon and want to know if anyone has any experience with the Rayco RG45? I'm going to get a track model no matter which brand I go with. The Racyo seems like a good machine and has more options, so I'm leaning towards that. On the other hand the Carlton is nearly 1,000 pounds lighter and are well known for their stump grinders. Any opinions? thanks.

ive done a ton of research in the past month. Both are good grinders. i am buying a 5014 because of its simplicity. the 5014 is the same as the 4012 which they have been making for decades. seems like you cant go wrong

I now own a 4012 coming from a rayco 1625. Obviously comparing a 44hp diesel to a 25 hp gasser is apples to oranges, but I will say my carlton is way easier to work on.

My Rayco would leave me scratching my head sometimes on the design of some things, where as my Carlton is just designed well. I believe it was a conversation with dave from Global that likened the Carltons to the Chevy Silverado's of the grinder industry. They are designed rugged, simple and they just work.

I also had a guy call me after seeing my Carlton on FB. He recently purchased a RG45 and he had many complaints. Rayco was working with him on all the problems, but he regretted buying the Rayco.

But with all that being said, I liked my Rayco when I had it.

Dealer and parts supplier should factor in. The parts supplier in Michigan (that Carlton says we must use) is a nightmare to deal with. I like my Carlton 4012 but wouldn't get another one until the parts problem is worked out.

My decision was highly influenced on the way the machine was built.
Try to get some drawings or parts lists and when viewing them, ask yourself if you would want to wrench this or the other. A simple machine like a stump grinder, which main purpose is being powerful and rock solid, can be built stupid complicated.

Back