Rebonding Homelite XL-700/800/850 Fuel Tanks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kensie1988

Vintage Saw Maniac
Reaction score
I was just hoping that someone who has done this successfully or who knows more about this than I could guide me in how to crack and reseal my XL-700 that has a fuel tank leak.

Yes make sure the tanks clean and dry. Remove fuel line and plug that hole. Then just pour some in the tank, then rotate the saw in every direction to let it coat everywhere. Then turn it so it will drain back out the gas fill. Let it sit for 24hrs to set up, you can do it again if you want it to be thicker. Let it drain back into the container bc its like 30$ a quart, but a quart should do dozens of saws

Yes make sure the tanks clean and dry. Remove fuel line and plug that hole. Then just pour some in the tank, then rotate the saw in every direction to let it coat everywhere. Then turn it so it will drain back out the gas fill. Let it sit for 24hrs to set up, you can do it again if you want it to be thicker. Let it drain back into the container bc its like 30$ a quart, but a quart should do dozens of saws
Where do you purchase this stuff at?

>>What is the process for being sure I get all of the old oil and gas out?

If there is scale in the tank, find yourself a big handful of steel nuts, bolts, BB;s and screws. Count what you put in the tank, so you get it all back out. Stop by the drugstore and get a bottle of rubbing alcohol. Pour the alcohol in with the hardware and shake the daylights out of the tank. Rinse and repeat until clear.

Remove all the grommets and rubber bits before treatment. Another vote for red kote. http://damonq.com/red-kote.html

Bet my paycheck that red kote and northern are exactly the same just different color. Smells like acetone, in fact if you need to thin it for any reason you can cut the northern with a little acetone to thin the mix

Back