referral fees?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeman82

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I normally never give anybody a referral fee. I figure that they will give out my name / number if they like the work I did and want to help my company grow. For the first time the other day a customer asked for a referral fee of $100 for a $1000 job. I said that if I got the job I would knock $100 off the bill he has with me right now.

So how do you guys treat situations like this? Do you give out the money or what?

Nope to customers. I have no less than 15 guys out there who do lawns and landscape, and I trade referals with them. They account for a lot of buisness, more than you'd think.
-Ralph

In my opinion, a 'referral' is a recommendation from somebody who wishes to see me succeed and prosper. Someone who wants me to pay them money for a job is a job reseller. They are looking to make money off of my work, essentially taking money out of my pocket in order to fill their own. Having to pay for a lead pretty much negates any idea of calling it a 'referral'.

Brian, that's exactly how I feel. However you were a lot nicer about the "job reseller" description than I am.

I will leave whom exactly out of this conversation, but I did offer a couple of guys a 15% finders fee for any work they can throw my way. A couple meaning 2. The reason being that I have never done anything for them, and they have never done anything for me. So it gives a little incentive.

Otherwise if it's a friend or customer or whatever, I may throw something in when I do work for them, or buy them lunch, you know...

Sometimes we'll do a limited time offer giving referral "incentives" to our customers. But, if a customer asks for one we'll politely decline.

Sometimes we offer referral fees to other "green" providers. Mostly tho, especially if they have a decent customer base and are looking to improve their service offerings, we'll give the "Green Industry" a wholesale rate, let them keep the customer as thier own. Saves headaches later on.

TreeCo said:
If I'm going to pay a $100 referal fee to a customer...........they are dragging brush for the day!

Ditto that, and I am going to cut it small and stack it like matchsticks for pissing me off. Customer had some set to ask for the fee, ask him if he going to pay income taxes on the $$$. :mad:

nope, even lost a friendship over it
a former buddy gave me the lead on a job and I ended up getting it. He approached me four times over a month demanding a kickback. even threaten to go to my wife. wanted 200 out of 1400. hell, that was just about all the profit. (underbid the sucker) no longer talk to him.

I got into a situation early on where a local contractor was setting me up with alot of residential work. It was great the first 3 or 4 jobs, but then the guy really started to scramble to find me work, i guess to increase his purse... anyway, the "customers" he started to drum up were all really difficult to work with, very demanding, and always trying to talk down the price. I was never able to collect from some of them.
I dont associate with that guy anymore.
I say find your own work.

Oh, I forgot to add: I spend very little on advertising, about 98% of my work comes from word of mouth. My customers tend to send work my way, without charging me a fee. I think as long as the pricing is fair, and you do good work, the jobs will find you.

referal

treeman82 said:
I normally never give anybody a referral fee. I figure that they will give out my name / number if they like the work I did and want to help my company grow. For the first time the other day a customer asked for a referral fee of $100 for a $1000 job. I said that if I got the job I would knock $100 off the bill he has with me right now.

So how do you guys treat situations like this? Do you give out the money or what?
hey treeman 82 whats happening. a customer??? actually had da balls to say this ya need to shut this down immediatly. was it after the fact, they got wind that it was a thou and wanted a hunge? or were they trying to refer you in hopes it would be 1000

TreeCo said:
If I'm going to pay a $100 referal fee to a customer...........they are dragging brush for the day!

I'm with Dan on that one. :laugh:

Also, if you are in the business of giving discounts you will have to maintain that you are a cheap service.

Only referal fee I ever dealt with is I get a 1-2% referal fee for refering customers to a landscape friend of mine. Average landscape project I refer is about $5000 so $50 to $100 in my pocket but he usually justs give me some free rental time on his equipment instead which I preffer. You know how expensive it is to rent a S300 bobcat? As far as referals to me, I dont think I have everyone ask for a % BUT if the referer was a associate of mine, stump guys for example, I would make sure he got a real good price for the stumps I gave him.

Scratching each others backs is much better than a fixed rate as long as there is enough scratching to keep both sides happy.

Here is what I do , I have made many friends with workers at Davey Tree , ACRT , Power Company (PG&E) and such when I used to work at Davey . I give all persons willing to participate roughly 20 or 30 business cards and have them write their name on the back , When I work for a client I ask them how they heard about our company . If they have a card with one of the aformentioned names that person gets $50 unles the job is less than $250 .

I don't mind giving kickbacks , I figure if someone is willing to pimp my company , they deserve a little slice of pie . There is plenty of money floating around out there and everybody works a little bit harder when there are incentives

doing referrals the way I do generally will net me 3-4 jobs a month , so 150-200 dollars a month really isnt a big deal when your average job is $600 . Your looking at around a ten % fee on a way to get 15-20% of my work . Fine by me and it works

Last edited:
I prefer to give out gift cards instead of cash. Cash seems to be the root of all evil and changes the prespective of people. So with this I decided that if a customer provides me with a lead and had no ill attention of greed, I may supply them with a gift card, a new tree, a coupon for next year.

Personally if the customer demands that you give them a finders fee of such an amount then you may be better off not having them as a customer.

Some of my best customers are also my closest competitors. We don't really have a referral fee arrangement, but will give eachother jobs when we are too busy, or the other needs the work....Usually we just make sure the primary contractor, or customer contact gets somethng on the job.
Ex. I had a job for 650. and started a long term contract that wouldn't allow me to get it done before snow fell, so I gave it to another company that was hurting for work. He took it for 550, so we both made some money, although he did the work. He kept his crew fed another day, and I kept a satisfied customer,.... and beer money.

commish

daveyclimber said:
Here is what I do , I have made many friends with workers at Davey Tree , ACRT , Power Company (PG&E) and such when I used to work at Davey . I give all persons willing to participate roughly 20 or 30 business cards and have them write their name on the back , When I work for a client I ask them how they heard about our company . If they have a card with one of the aformentioned names that person gets $50 unles the job is less than $250 .

I don't mind giving kickbacks , I figure if someone is willing to pimp my company , they deserve a little slice of pie . There is plenty of money floating around out there and everybody works a little bit harder when there are incentives
they are not pimping you davey they are activly selling your service for a commision j

no way

Tree Frog said:
I prefer to give out gift cards instead of cash. Cash seems to be the root of all evil and changes the prespective of people. So with this I decided that if a customer provides me with a lead and had no ill attention of greed, I may supply them with a gift card, a new tree, a coupon for next year.

Personally if the customer demands that you give them a finders fee of such an amount then you may be better off not having them as a customer.
customer? no way i still can not belive customers are talking to you this way, "nice job your skills are excellent, if you give me money i will exploit you in hopes of more work from my freinds, and i will let you do all the hard dangerous work" shut it down!j

Latest posts

Back