Registered Consulting Arborist: Anyone, in here, gone that route?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunrise Guy

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I'm thinking of becoming an RCA. After visiting the site of the ASCA, I have to say I was not that impressed. The lack of clear, concise, online information was frustrating. So, are any of you RCA's? Is that certification useful? Was the training expense worth it? I'm a CA, TRAQ, ISA, so I don't mind classwork and exams, but I can see where the RCA program may get into some major bucks and time, so I want some feedback from those who have gone that route. Thanks!

I'm working on it. Have taken the Consulting Academy. Still working on the next set of reports.

There's opportunities out there, depends on your market. I see it as something that needs a large urban market, or a regional market as you may get a job in this town and another in another town.

The RCAs who were instructing the Consulting Academy were some pretty heavy hitters in the biz. Combo arborists/lawyers etc

BCMA is a much more useful cred for an arborist. I did the ASCA academy in 1996 but did not like the mandatory-membership aspect of RCA.

I've heard BCMA is more "tree oriented" while RCA is more "record keeping and report writing oriented". That is not a bad thing at all. If you want to be involved in legal cases, those are very important things to do correctly. But I haven't done RCA, so I can only go by what I've heard.

Hell, my upper middle class town declared an hourly waged, most days mowing fields, recent ISA CA test passer....their City Arborist. Phoned the ISA to get confirmation that it was not kosher to do that...and they told me they had no problem with it. So little respect generally for those in the know re trees anymore.

I'm working on it. Have taken the Consulting Academy. Still working on the next set of reports.

There's opportunities out there, depends on your market. I see it as something that needs a large urban market, or a regional market as you may get a job in this town and another in another town.

The RCAs who were instructing the Consulting Academy were some pretty heavy hitters in the biz. Combo arborists/lawyers etc

How much $$$$ have you sunk into your training, so far?

Training and education is an investment in yourself. Even if you don't directly use it, there will be acquired knowledge that will translate into many fields.

To directly answer your question, I have no idea. I've been in the tree biz (both industrial forestry and arboriculture) for 40 yrs. Can't remember how much I paid for and how much the company at the time paid for.

Back