Is this solicitation a scam?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikewhite85

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
So I've had 3 out of state consulting companies contact me about a job for USDA NRCS facility. Solicitation is not a huge job but includes removing and pruning several trees at a local plant materials facility. I was driving by the location yesterday and the bid description seems legit. There's supposed to be a bid meeting tomorrow.

What's weird is
1. I can't find the solicitation anywhere. It should be on sam.gov.
2. All 3 companies emailed me out of the blue, at least 1 is a brand new company, and I can't find any other information on them.

The job requires a certified arborist and TCIA member company, which really narrows the playing field so I'm very interested. We're probably the only company in the region who meets these qualifications. It just sounds a little sketchy. I'm not sure what they would have to gain from sending me to a bid meeting?

The bid meeting is only a few miles from where we are working tomorrow so it's not a big deal to get there. I feel like I've got nothing to lose and I'll submit my bid to all 3 companies. But
just wondering if any of you guys have had a similar experience and if this is something I should just avoid.

Here's the main part of the bid specs. They were almost identical from all 3 consulting companies.

Request for Quotation (RFQ)

Project Title:
Tree Services (Removal, Pruning/Trimming, Stump Grinding)
Location: USDA NRCS Big Flats Plant Materials Center, 3266 State Route 352, Corning, NY 14830
Date: August 25, 2023

Introduction: The USDA NRCS Big Flats Plant Materials Center requires professional tree pruning/trimming, stump grinding, and the complete removal of selected trees. The primary objective is to mitigate potential hazards to people and property.

Scope of Work:

1. Tree Pruning/Trimming, Removal:
    • Remove hazardous trees and damaged branches.
    • Provide adequate clearance from permanent structures.
    • Elevate for under-canopy clearance.
    • Specific details on tree types and locations are provided in the attached document.
(FROM ATTACHED DOC:

Tree Removal: Removal of (3) dead, large ash trees, (4) large honey locust trees, and (7) stumps by grinding. Specific diameters and details are provided in the attached document.
Tree Pruning/Trimming: Pruning/trimming of trees away from buildings and power lines, including overhanging branches of a sycamore tree at the PMC entrance and specific large and medium-sized trees surrounding the PMC office.
Stump Grinding: Complete removal of selected trees, including stump grinding and restoration.
Cleanup and Disposal: Thorough cleanup and removal of all wood chips, debris, and waste from the PMC, ensuring no damage to adjacent structures or buildings.
I will provide the complete document outlining the scope of work, requirements, and specifications for further clarification. Please review it carefully, and let me know if you have any questions or need additional information.)

1. Stump Grinding:

• Completely remove selected trees and grind their stumps.
  • Additional stumps from previously taken down trees need to be removed.

1. Restoration:

• Repair and fill any ruts or depressions deeper than 2" with compacted topsoil.
  • Fertilize, seed, and firm to existing grade.

Special Requirements:

• Compliance with ANSI A300 (Part 1) – Pruning Standards and ANSI Z133 – Safety Requirements.
  • Confirmation of trees to be pruned/trimmed and removed with the PMC Manager.
  • Notify “Call Before You Dig” prior to grinding stumps.
  • Safety measures including flagging of traffic, barricades, warning signs, etc.

Personnel Qualifications:

• Certified Arborist (CA) to be onsite during the project.
  • Membership in professional organizations such as ISA, TCIA, or ASCA is recommended.
  • Key personnel including Tree Groundsmen, Certified Arborist, Crew leads, etc.

Insurance Requirements:

• Workers' compensation and employer's liability: $100,000 or per statute.
  • General liability: Bodily injury $500,000 per occurrence; Property damage $100,000 per occurrence.
  • Automobile liability: Bodily injury $200,000 per person / $500,000 per occurrence; Property damage $20,000 per occurrence.

Deliverables/Schedule:

• Tree Removal/Pruning: Within 45 calendar days of contract award.
  • Stump Grinding: Within 45 calendar days of contract award.
  • Restoration: No later than 9/30/2023.

Submission Instructions: Please provide a detailed quote for the above scope of work, including a breakdown of costs for each task, labor rates, material costs, and any other relevant details. Include references and proof of qualifications as specified.

Quotes are due by: September 2, 2023

So I've had 3 out of state consulting companies contact me about a job for USDA NRCS facility. Solicitation is not a huge job but includes removing and pruning several trees at a local plant materials facility. I was driving by the location yesterday and the bid description seems legit. There's supposed to be a bid meeting tomorrow.

What's weird is
1. I can't find the solicitation anywhere. It should be on sam.gov.
2. All 3 companies emailed me out of the blue, at least 1 is a brand new company, and I can't find any other information on them.

The job requires a certified arborist and TCIA member company, which really narrows the playing field so I'm very interested. We're probably the only company in the region who meets these qualifications. It just sounds a little sketchy. I'm not sure what they would have to gain from sending me to a bid meeting?

The bid meeting is only a few miles from where we are working tomorrow so it's not a big deal to get there. I feel like I've got nothing to lose and I'll submit my bid to all 3 companies. But
just wondering if any of you guys have had a similar experience and if this is something I should just avoid.

Here's the main part of the bid specs. They were almost identical from all 3 consulting companies.

Request for Quotation (RFQ)

Project Title:
Tree Services (Removal, Pruning/Trimming, Stump Grinding)
Location: USDA NRCS Big Flats Plant Materials Center, 3266 State Route 352, Corning, NY 14830
Date: August 25, 2023

Introduction: The USDA NRCS Big Flats Plant Materials Center requires professional tree pruning/trimming, stump grinding, and the complete removal of selected trees. The primary objective is to mitigate potential hazards to people and property.

Scope of Work:

1. Tree Pruning/Trimming, Removal:
    • Remove hazardous trees and damaged branches.
    • Provide adequate clearance from permanent structures.
    • Elevate for under-canopy clearance.
    • Specific details on tree types and locations are provided in the attached document.
(FROM ATTACHED DOC:

Tree Removal: Removal of (3) dead, large ash trees, (4) large honey locust trees, and (7) stumps by grinding. Specific diameters and details are provided in the attached document.
Tree Pruning/Trimming: Pruning/trimming of trees away from buildings and power lines, including overhanging branches of a sycamore tree at the PMC entrance and specific large and medium-sized trees surrounding the PMC office.
Stump Grinding: Complete removal of selected trees, including stump grinding and restoration.
Cleanup and Disposal: Thorough cleanup and removal of all wood chips, debris, and waste from the PMC, ensuring no damage to adjacent structures or buildings.
I will provide the complete document outlining the scope of work, requirements, and specifications for further clarification. Please review it carefully, and let me know if you have any questions or need additional information.)

1. Stump Grinding:

• Completely remove selected trees and grind their stumps.
  • Additional stumps from previously taken down trees need to be removed.

1. Restoration:

• Repair and fill any ruts or depressions deeper than 2" with compacted topsoil.
  • Fertilize, seed, and firm to existing grade.

Special Requirements:

• Compliance with ANSI A300 (Part 1) – Pruning Standards and ANSI Z133 – Safety Requirements.
  • Confirmation of trees to be pruned/trimmed and removed with the PMC Manager.
  • Notify “Call Before You Dig” prior to grinding stumps.
  • Safety measures including flagging of traffic, barricades, warning signs, etc.

Personnel Qualifications:

• Certified Arborist (CA) to be onsite during the project.
  • Membership in professional organizations such as ISA, TCIA, or ASCA is recommended.
  • Key personnel including Tree Groundsmen, Certified Arborist, Crew leads, etc.

Insurance Requirements:

• Workers' compensation and employer's liability: $100,000 or per statute.
  • General liability: Bodily injury $500,000 per occurrence; Property damage $100,000 per occurrence.
  • Automobile liability: Bodily injury $200,000 per person / $500,000 per occurrence; Property damage $20,000 per occurrence.

Deliverables/Schedule:

• Tree Removal/Pruning: Within 45 calendar days of contract award.
  • Stump Grinding: Within 45 calendar days of contract award.
  • Restoration: No later than 9/30/2023.

Submission Instructions: Please provide a detailed quote for the above scope of work, including a breakdown of costs for each task, labor rates, material costs, and any other relevant details. Include references and proof of qualifications as specified.

Quotes are due by: September 2, 2023
Think of it as General contractor type stuff.
The agency hires a general, then the general hires subs, its fairly common, even if it does sound shady (cause it kinda is)
check your state L+I for a contractor search function, here in WA we can look up anyone with a biz license and verify that they don't owe 17 companies and or municipalities, have valid L+I insurrance as well as liability ins

Like all things business related, eyes wide open and if it sounds sketchy, it probably is, make sure to post a notice of lien, and only take credit cards or cash the minute the job is done...

This isn't unusual at all for government contract work. They probably put together a large bundle of projects needed out for bid, it is easier and in some ways more efficient for them to deal with one company, much like buying a home from a home builder rather than acting as your own G.C.

Thanks, guys,

I received a call back from the location itself and it is legit.

I've also had 4 more companies contact me for a bid today. It's going to be an interesting meeting tomorrow. I really have no clue what to expect.

I'd love to bid directly but It's basically a 10 day wait until I can register with sam.gov.

Latest posts

Back