• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Buy Reliable saw, 18+ inch bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought about that one and the 242:yes:.
He did well on that putting it on ebay it went for 408 if I remember right. I think he wanted 225 on here:envy:.
That's the rear handle 200, so is it still a 200t?

I was looking through the wrong part of my glasses.

OP, as a rule, saws are similar to gun safes. You are better off buying slightly larger than you think you need. That 262 is a fine saw, easy to work on,parts available and is not too heavy.

Anything special I should know about this one?

Attachments

• IMG_20160423_185005.jpg
    IMG_20160423_185005.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 21
He claims 1995. Can this be true?
A bit heavy for my needs, but a great deal.

More like 1985 if it really is a 266XP. My 266XP is a 1987 production saw IIRC. By 1995, the 272XP was the only XP saw in that series. 268XP replaced the 266XP in 1988 or so, and was replaced by the 272XP in 1993 IIRC (SawTroll will know the correct years). The non-XP 268 (lower price point saw with the open port Gilardoni top end from the 268K demo saw) was being produced in 1995 as well.

Edit:

All the above applies to US market Huskys built in Sweden. The Tomos built saws followed different 'rules'. See Sawtroll's posts in this thread:

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/266xp-mint-425-now-shipped.295787/

2002 model. Solid performers, lots of parts availability.
It is now mine. Great runner. Needs a tank vent. It drips on its side. (procedure please?) Thanks to everyone who helped inform my decision.

By the way, there is a stihl ms290 on cl concord NH that I had been trying to get in touch about. The guy repeatedly would email back, but never wanted to meet. I think that it is a fake posting.

Look around the internet...I commonly find free PDF copies of original shop manuals for older saws. I don't have one for the 55.
Paging @ray benson
Anything for that old husky Ray the tag is just above a few post.
Congrats on the new saw yurt dweller.
As for the 290, wait a few weeks and give him a call. If he hasn't made himself available to sell it by then he will more than likely be ready to do something by then. Most people placing ads on craigslist are pretty lazy, yes this is a generalization, but it's where a large portion of my income comes from and is mostly true.

Paging @ray benson
Anything for that old husky Ray the tag is just above a few post.
Congrats on the new saw yurt dweller.
As for the 290, wait a few weeks and give him a call. If he hasn't made himself available to sell it by then he will more than likely be ready to do something by then. Most people placing ads on craigslist are pretty lazy, yes this is a generalization, but it's where a large portion of my income comes from and is mostly true.
It has been on Craigslist for well over a month. It has even been reported. The guy returns emails with 2 words, and does not return calls. Even when I mention I have $ in hand and want to buy now.

It has been on Craigslist for well over a month. It has even been reported. The guy returns emails with 2 words, and does not return calls. Even when I mention I have $ in hand and want to buy now.
I had a guy like that I was dealing with on a GSXR 750. I emailed him and said I hope everything is ok. He called me back within a few hrs tild me his dad had just died and he was getting so many emails he was just overwhelmed.
I bought the bike that day and was able to help him with some of what was overwhelming him, win win.
Could be a phishing scam though.
The big one here is to sell you #. You email them back or text them, then the text you back. If you answer with a text then you just verified that your # is good.
Same when you have an ad, the will text is"the exact title" still for sale, you respond yes or no, and now your # is verified. Normally within a week you will get a call from a telemarketer.
When I get those text I call them right back and let them know that I will be reporting them(if it's not a legitimate buyer), then I do report.the #.

@Ayurtdweller good score on the 55. Does it have a compression release? Also, can you post pictures of the cylinder? The reason I ask, is that the tag doesn't show it being a Rancher, so there is a good chance it could be a 55 Closed Port, and they are less common, and make more power.

Back