Remember this REALLY Nice Log??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sawyer Rob

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
It's the one on the "left" in this pict.,

standard.jpg

At 8' 6" x 28" it's a beauty! And I decided to mill it into 5/4 lumber today, as today was ANOTHER beautiful day here, sunny 75* with a nice breeze, just about perfect!

The log was given to me and came from an old homestead it was about 75 years old... I was thinking it would turn out many nice wide clear, or near clear boards and they are ALWAYS nice to have around.

Anyway, i got started by milling an outer slab off it, then a 5/4 flitch and turned the log. With it turned, I took another outer slab off and noticed I was hitting #7-1/2 bird shot! lol Also a couple bullets, then I hit something bigger!! It looks like a bullet that was shot into the tree,

standard.jpg

What ever it is, it's steel and it's big enough that I could see it wasn't going to be easy to dig out, AND as it was only a foot from the end of the log, I took my chainsaw and sawed that end off. I'll put the piece in the log splitter later, and see what it is!

standard.jpg

Well, lucky for me I had an old "well used" band on, cause it killed it! lol So, I put a new band on and continued milling 5/4 boards off, turning the log until I had a VERY nice cant.

standard.jpg

I grade sawed the cant, pulling off some REALLY GREAT 16" wide boards, until I had one heck of a great pile of white pine furniture lumber!!

standard.jpg

While I was at it, I also milled out four 8x8's, and two 6x6's all out of low grade logs I had around,

standard.jpg

I'm always needing these to put logs and lumber on... (like the one under those NICE pine boards)

Hope you liked the picts...

SR

Looks like a good job. Always good to see what a fellow Norwood sawyer is up to. Ever find out what that metal was? Looks like it could have been a bolt or spike. You can never have too much blocking! Nice log lifter on that tractor, too.

Looks like a good job. Always good to see what a fellow Norwood sawyer is up to. Ever find out what that metal was? Looks like it could have been a bolt or spike. You can never have too much blocking! Nice log lifter on that tractor, too.

Hi Dave,

I milled those logs yesterday, and today we are getting a "needed" rain, so I didn't get a chance to split out what ever is in that log.

I bought my Lumbermate 2000, in 2003 and it's been a GREAT mill, trouble free and still turning out accurate lumber!

SR

Latest posts

Back