Remington Chainsaws(including Mall chainsaws)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hard to place a value. Got pics? The 0MG is on my list, so is the geardrive version of the Bantam.

I probably won't have a pic until next week, I know nothing of these saws including value but from the looks of the saw and its age I would say it is in fair condition. I just don't know what to offer for it. I am thinking $50 ball park but I am more of a thrifty saw buyer and won't spend much more than that for a vintage saw showing its age.

I can wait a week.

I can't ether, but the old fella is a hoarder and it took me a month or so just to see it. Now I have to try to coax it out of his hands. He also has what looks to be a brand new or not broke in yet McCulloch 10-10. Under the dust I could see all the little safety stickers with no paint loss that I can see. Also saw a new looking Homelite 150 but not all that interested in it.

Thanks,:msp_smile:

I don,t have any 754 info yet.

What's your take on Super 754 saw chain. According to the acres website the original Remington .404 chain was .058 gauge. Have you experimented with any other combinations? Bailey's keeps urging me to change over to a .063 Husky roller nose bar .404 pitch, but I'd rather hang with the original.

Sawdust,
The chain on that pro 88 is .404. If you need a loop of .404 .058 for your 754 send us a pm.
We'll need to know how many drive links. We deleted the pics of that saw because it came from our for sale album and it said so. We did not want to get in trouble for trying to sell without being a sponsor. We will re-post the pictures on Monday when Tina is back in the office and can figure it out.
Thanks

Last edited:
What's your take on Super 754 saw chain. According to the acres website the original Remington .404 chain was .058 gauge. Have you experimented with any other combinations? Bailey's keeps urging me to change over to a .063 Husky roller nose bar .404 pitch, but I'd rather hang with the original.

If your bar is still good I would go with the .058 gauge 404.
You can have both if you want.

If your bar is still good I would go with the .058 gauge 404.
You can have both if you want.

Have you tried the .063 on an alternate bar? I'm also wondering if .063 might work on a worn bar.?:msp_confused: Just thinking ahead..I know I won't be able to find original Remington bars for long. Also, how difficult is it to locate Logmaster parts? Thanks for your help.

Have you tried the .063 on an alternate bar? I'm also wondering if .063 might work on a worn bar.?:msp_confused: Just thinking ahead..I know I won't be able to find original Remington bars for long. Also, how difficult is it to locate Logmaster parts? Thanks for your help.

I have fit .063 chain into a worn .058 bar. I run 404 .063 on other
saws, I like it,
It would be hard to tell the difference from .058 and .063 on you saw. I do see remington bars for sale sometimes on ebay.
Logmaster parts on ebay too, not much though. It depends on
what parts you need. A lot of the time for me a parts saw will
give me what I need.

that saw ran great but was missing an oiler part.

I do have a vid with the 40" bar somewhere around here.

I have a really nice PL-7,I need a sprocket cover and a set of guide plates for it. Its a little older then yours,it is red and white. S/N RC 3511. It also has the older style fuel and oil caps.

Remington Pro 88

saws%20for%20sale%20904.jpg
saws%20for%20sale%20907.jpg
saws%20for%20sale%20908.jpg

Oh yeah, that's nice! Hard to imagine folks not caring for these old Remingtons. Great job on the bar! Did you stay up nights cleaning it with steel wool or something?:msp_wink: I'm still working my way down to some clean metal on one of my 754's. Oh yeah, have you had any luck with 7/16" pitch chain? Found a blog that indicated you could run 7/16" or .404 on the Bantam series. Don't know, but sounds like would facilitate some clutch clicking:frown:

Remington Super 770 Score!

OK...It's time to wakey wakey....getting too quite in here. Good news, I just scored a nice Super 770 off ebay. If I was bidding against any of you folks, I apologize; but I didn't have one for my collection.
I've gone through the threads, and I can't believe were the only Remington/Mall heads out there. So who's hiding in the closet? Come on now, join in.
A parting thought: Do you suppose Remington was sort of like Studebaker---ahead of their time? They made some awfully cool old cars, Remington/Mall made some awfully cool looking saws. I just love 'em.:msp_rolleyes:

By my reconing; Saw Bones, Fat Guy, RandyMac, Saw Dr., Arrowhead, Crane, Mr. BowSaw, ScooterBum, Guido Salvage, ronconic, madhatte, Sprintcar, BrianVt & leeha have all 'fessed up at one time or another as being possessed by a Remington.

I likely missed some.:msp_tongue:

Super 770? I must have missed one, I thought I had them all bookmarked.

Last edited:
By my reconing; Saw Bones, Fat Guy, RandyMac, Saw Dr., Arrowhead, Crane, Mr. BowSaw, ScooterBum, Guido Salvage, ronconic, madhatte, Sprintcar, BrianVt & leeha have all 'fessed up at one time or another as being possessed by a Remington.

I likely missed some.:msp_tongue:

Super 770? I must have missed one, I thought I had them all bookmarked.
Well, maybe the $299.00 buy it now price steered you away. Took a while, but got a good best offer price. I'll post some pics when it arrives.
That's a bigger list than I thought, but I just bet there are some closet Remington collectors out there who have ignored the post. They could change their screen name and come incognito I suppose(if they feel like they're cheatin' on their Stihls or Huskies). Heck, I'm darn proud to be among such brilliant people! Kinda hoping Crane can get caught up and join back in. Am I sounding a little too enthusiastic?:msp_w00t:

Last edited:
OK...It's time to wakey wakey....getting too quite in here. Good news, I just scored a nice Super 770 off ebay. If I was bidding against any of you folks, I apologize; but I didn't have one for my collection.
I've gone through the threads, and I can't believe were the only Remington/Mall heads out there. So who's hiding in the closet? Come on now, join in.
A parting thought: Do you suppose Remington was sort of like Studebaker---ahead of their time? They made some awfully cool old cars, Remington/Mall made some awfully cool looking saws. I just love 'em.:msp_rolleyes:

One of my favorite features of the Mall GP and 2MG (and others, I'm sure) is the captured nut on the flywheel that pulls the flywheel off - no puller needed. First time I removed it I thought the threads were damaged and locking up. POP! The flywheel was loose!

One of my favorite features of the Mall GP and 2MG (and others, I'm sure) is the captured nut on the flywheel that pulls the flywheel off - no puller needed. First time I removed it I thought the threads were damaged and locking up. POP! The flywheel was loose!

Thanks for that buzz. Yep, just another example of features ahead of their time. Studey was the first with production supercharging on their engines. I'll just bet Remington/Mall has a lot of "firsts" of their own. I'll bet Mr. Bowsaw has some inside lines on that.

1950, Mall, one of the first producers of bow saw bars, quickly became the "The Bow Saw King" offering bow cutting capacities in four sizes ranging from 15 to 32 inches. They offered both one and two man models, that were electric, or gasoline powered. Mall's chain saw line offered bow saw models for every situation. Mall purchased Hornet in 1951, adding their "Two-Way" bow bar design to the Mall line-up, dubbing it the Pinchless plunge bar.

attachment.php

1950, Mall, one of the first producers of bow saw bars, quickly became the "The Bow Saw King" offering bow cutting capacities in four sizes ranging from 15 to 32 inches. They offered both one and two man models, that were electric, or gasoline powered. Mall's chain saw line offered bow saw models for every situation. Mall purchased Hornet in 1951, adding their "Two-Way" bow bar design to the Mall line-up, dubbing it the Pinchless plunge bar.

attachment.php

You see? Now that's what I'm talkin' about! THANK YOU MR. BOW SAW:msp_thumbsup: Who else has something from the Remington/Mall College of Knowledge?

Some History on Remington/Mall.
1956 To complement its own powder-activated tool business, Remington acquired the Mall Tool Company for $9.8 million. This company operated plants in Chicago and Park Forest, Illinois and in Toronto, Ontario. Mall products included complete lines of portable electric, gasoline, and pneumatic-powered tools and flexible shaft equipment. Mall Tool Company was dissolved in 1958, and its activities integrated with Remington, which included the powder-activated tool business which had been previously developed in Bridgeport. The Canadian subsidiary name was changed to Remington Arms of Canada, Ltd. and its product line expanded to include firearms and other Remington products.
1964 Remington Arms International GmbH, formed in 1961 to distribute chain saws and accessories in Europe, was dissolved due to the development of more effective independent distributors in Europe.
1969 Remington completed the sale of its power tool business to DESA Industries, Inc. Two plants were included in the transaction.

Back