Remington Rodeo Pro - Will not start!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctorj77

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I picked up a free used Remington (rm5520r) Rodeo Pro 55cc. In full disclosure the guy said it will not run and would be a project. Guess it was his dad's saw. He bought it new, used it for couple years before it quit on him and gave it to his son as a project where it sat for another 3-4yrs. Now i have it.

As I read some not-so-glowing-reviews on this saw, I read the reoccurring "it just quit' over and over again. But nobody says why, or how they fixed it. Moving on, last night I put fresh mix in it, primed it, and nothing. It won't even fire. I verified it has spark, plug gap (.025), plug is wet, and appears to have compression. I just did the finger test as I don't have a gauge. But I am getting one this weekend. Depending on results, probably will pull the muffler and look for any scouring on the cylinder. But I even tried a shot of gas down the cylinder and it still won't fire.

I know these are not professional, or even mid grade saws really. Just curious if anyone that had one of these saws where "it just quit" and maybe have some insight on why + why it wont fire again. I have other saws to get me through and not hung up on this one. But since it was free, figured couldn't hurt to check it out.

Thx guys. I'll give all that a try when I get home here shortly.

I have a few spare plugs from other saws I can try out, and will find the spark arrestor and see if its clogged.

Soooo, I tried

Different plugs, no luck. Changed gap from .020 to .030, no change. Its producing good spark.
Pulled the coil and gapped it using a business card. Only did this since I don't know what Remington "MTD" specifically calls for. But still no fire.
Then pulled the muffler, and the spark arrestor is surprisingly clean.

But with the muffler off, I took notice on the piston. To be honest, I don't know what I'm looking at. Kind of hard to tell from the picture but would appear to see some scouring. But the video (taken with plug out) I'm gonna guess that's not right. Rings shot?

zS56j4m.jpg

be nice if you stopped on the ring so we could get a look... sounded like something was clunking...its scored but i seen worse...get a few pics of the ring maybe its broke or cracked....

I'll try to capture some pics of the piston tomorrow. But IF the cylinder wall isn't damaged, might be able to rebuild it right? Already found the replacement parts, piston & rings for cheap.

Yeah I've tried the shot of gas down the cylinder and nothing.

Starting this weekend, I'll get it on a bench and tear it down, see what I'm working with

Oh agreed. Its likely junk. I mean don't think I read one favorable review on it anywhere. I got other saws I use. I just like tinkering with free stuff as long as it don't cost a lot of money. Right now looks like a short block assembly costs just as much as this saw does used.

It done, most likely the chrome plating in the cylinder is thin and cheap. IMHO the cylinder will probably not clean up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A Troy bilt TB5518 I believe is the same saw. If that helps in the search. Maybe find a cheap or preferably free parts saw with a good cylinder and piston and combine the two to get a runner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Funny you should say that. I noticed earlier that some of the part #s we're showing different saws when searching. I'm on my phone at the moment, but when I get back later in n front of a computer I'll look it up.

In the video, I thought I saw quite a bit of gas coming from the cylinder out of of the exhaust port as the piston cycled up and down. This COULD be left from when you were trying to prime with gas, OR there could be a carb problem. Have you checked the metering lever height in the carb? If too high --> flood.

Back