Rope bags

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Colour me stupid, but do rope bags "work"? Meaning, can you just coil a rope into it and it feeds without tangling?

I have a 160" of 5/8 pull line and I don't always treasure rolling it up. I'm going to replace it with 160' of 3/4 and I know I'm not going to want to role that up.

Tangle or tangle free; what say thee?

Haven't read the entire thread so forgive me if I'm repeating.

I've got the sherrill green bag for my bull rope and the Red bag for my climbing line. I use Army duffels for my other ropes. Works awesome. No problem with tangles and your ropes don't get twist in them. My ropes last so much longer since going to rope bags. I actually started out with tarps and they work pretty good as well. Still keep my saddles and climbing gear in a tarp. Fact, If you keep your gear from contacting the ground less grit gets in them and they have longer life.

Case in point: I was doing a removal today and a couple of showers blew in. This was a muddy yard with dog tracks run into it. I came down out of the tree to take lunch when a heavy shower hit and just snuggled my rope bag right up next to the tree, leaving my rope in the tree. If I hadn't had the bag my climbing rope would have been wet and covered in mud from splash back. By the time I got back into the tree the wind had blown my exposed rope dry and the rope in the bag remained dry.

Another good thing is if you are in a hurry and want to just get a good old fashioned wrap around a tree it makes it much quicker and easier for the groundie to just pick up the whole bag of rope and walk around the tree as opposed to having to collect up a disheveled coil of rope and try to do it. Same goes for deploying the rope to get a pull; no having to gather up loose coils and you only deploy what you need. Best thing since sliced bread in my book!

Plus, with the sherrill bags you can set on a stump, stretch the loops over you knees and flake the rope into the bag quicker than you coulld ever coil it. I have never had a problem with the rope getting tangled in the bag. Maybe a time or two after I have come down while working and the rope coils on the ground and gets tangled up in brush but never while in the bag.

Last edited:
I coiled rope for years. First my way, then someone taught me how to "correctly" coil a rope. Now at the time I wasn't familiar with rope bags, but I came up with the idea to put them into larger plastic tubs. That worked good, until I came up with just putting one into a 5 gallon bucket.

"Flaking" is a new term for me, but sounds like just what I do. I get a bucket, feed the one side of the rope I want to go down first. I don't do anything but start to shove... or let it go the way it wants as I feed it into the bucket. After a while it starts to have a pattern all it's own. When I'm done, I make sure the terminal end(sounds more technical to call it the "terminal" end. LOL!) is laying on top so I can grab first.

When the rope is needed, carry the bucket over to the bottom of the tree and either let it sit there and uncoil as the climber ascends or turn the bucket sideways and remove it that way.

The other thing you can do is start putting the side of the rope you want to work with, like the snap end, and put that into the bucket first. Then all you have to do is go at the bottom of the tree and tip the bucket upside down and the snap will be right on top.

One draw back with the bucket is moisture. If the rope picks up moisture, it can't evaporate in the bucket. You'll have to leave the lid off for it to dry.

I can't recall the rope ever tangling up if there's no debris on it as I ascend the tree. Good groundies always keep an eye on the rope. What I like about the bucket is that it keeps the rope dry, easy to maintain and virtually weather proof. There's also the barrier it creates to protect from sharp objects, gas, oil and your pocket book. LOL! 5-gallon buckets with lids are anywhere from free to $5. Can't beat that.

I'll have to admit though, those rope bags look "cool" with all the colors, fancy emblems, pockets and carabiner holders, etc.
icon10.gif

StihlRockin'

Same with rope bags. If the rope gets wet you need to hang it out to dry just like you would maintain a rope in any situation. If it sits wet in the rope bag it will mildew.

I've been using rope bags for 20 odd years and have interduced them to different companys I have worked for over the years. Sailors have been using rope bags to store rope on ships for maybe a thousand years(give or take). Your climbing line is a lot less likely to get tangled with branches if its in a bag under the tree as you limb it. I have often used a rope bag for putting in a tipping line on tall conifers by free climbing, pulling up the bag, tying the tipping line in and tossing the bag out throu the branches. I have a canvas shop that make me my rope bags out of heavy canvas for 30.00. Go rope bags!

The "logistical merit" (lol) far outweighs the perceived aesthetic and unprofessional issues, I assure you.

I yield to your expertise and arboreal insight. :cool:

Also because it just occured to me that we use an old rectangular Coke "milk crate" that fits a gas container and gallon of oil perfectly. Cough...

Oh, as as for rope bags, I'm sold. Thanks to all for the feedback. :cheers:

Same with rope bags. If the rope gets wet you need to hang it out to dry just like you would maintain a rope in any situation. If it sits wet in the rope bag it will mildew.

Or flake it into a crate.....holes in the bottom and all four sides and top is open and no contact with the ground.

I yield to your expertise and arboreal insight. :cool:

Also because it just occured to me that we use an old rectangular Coke "milk crate" that fits a gas container and gallon of oil perfectly. Cough...

Oh, as as for rope bags, I'm sold. Thanks to all for the feedback. :cheers:

We keep the gal of bar oil and no spill gas can and screnches and 3 wedges and a hand sledge in one like you too. It is known as the "gas crate" as in "where is the damn gas crate? What truck was it on yesterday?..."

You will love em :) Especially if you like things in small, neat packages.

I do. I'm pretty disorganized by nature, but on the job I like to know where every-single-little-thing is. I get pretty anal retentive about the tools. What's a groundman for, eh?

(What a groundman is for is to to make sure the climber doesn't forget to screw his head on before to starts up the tree. Ha!)

I don't think these have been brought up yet. Along with a few rope bags, these go in and out of favor in my head from time to time. Mainly meant for not just lines but gear, one would coil the line then put it in these for storage.

Again, I don't like not seeing what is in there under stuff so I don't leave a pulley or beaner, etc on the job. But they do have their merits including a little built in roof to cover them in a downpour.
attachment.php

Nice bags. Pretty fancy.

This is an action shot of my beloved Kuny's toolbag. I love that bag!

(And pay no attention to the gas container by the fire. Since I cannot offer a sentient reason why it was that close, I will submit that it is in fact an illusion and should be disregarded.)

landclearing001.jpg

I have always just coiled op my ropes in the past,but you guys have got me thinking of trying a bag or maybe the rubbermaid thing.
When I used to haul concrete culvert pipe,our trucks were equipped with shallow[3in] open chain boxes on the cat walk where we could drag the long chains that had to go over the top of the load,front to back,then we would pull them back over the load into the boxes ,and just hang the chain hook on the edge when we got to the end.Never got tangled.
I'm guessing a rope is the same as far as ,if you don't disturb the ends ,,,,it can;t get tangled.
I'm due for e new climbing line.Think I may try a bag,or tub out.

flaming illusion

Nice bags. Pretty fancy.

This is an action shot of my beloved Kuny's toolbag. I love that bag!

(And pay no attention to the gas container by the fire. Since I cannot offer a sentient reason why it was that close, I will submit that it is in fact an illusion and should be disregarded.)

landclearing001.jpg

HA ha. I pulled that illusion a couple weeks ago and the damn 5 gallon jug cought on fire. The fire must have poped an ember into the open mouth; murphy's law. Flames were shooting from the can, fourtantly I only lost my arm hair when I screwed the lid back on and snuffed it. For a second I thought I was going to have a situation.

Rope bags work better then anything I have tried.

If I have to coil a rope, the rope coils will not have a twist if the coils are alternated with left and right loops. Hard to describe what I mean but if you have someone show you it is easy to do and the rope will not have a twist. If I am hanging a rope on my saddle I will short coil it so it does not catch my heals. The odd tree that does not have a suitiable branch to a 100' to big shot are to big to flip. You have to spiral spur up them meaning you can't have a rope dangling and need to bring the rope with you.

Well Sherrill completed my order. I got the back ordered straps to carry the rope bag as a backpack yesterday. I was very pleased to find the bag fits very well on my back with the straps.

5ae83d9a.jpg

e7d398b0.jpg

98bcee73.jpg

99bb160e.jpg

watcha wanna put it on yer back fer.?

I often climb trees back in the woods. Not to mention the times the bag followed me home not to be left in the car therefore needing to climb three flights. The duffel bag was fine on the shoulder but Sherrill was offering the straps for $20 so it made sense to me.

What you mean you guys don't go hiking on weekends with your gear. :greenchainsaw:

I often climb trees back in the woods. Not to mention the times the bag followed me home not to be left in the car therefore needing to climb three flights. The duffel bag was fine on the shoulder but Sherrill was offering the straps for $20 so it made sense to me.

What you mean you guys don't go hiking on weekends with your gear. :greenchainsaw:

Not unless there is some money involved... Otherwise, I'm hiking with a six pack and my fishing pole. :D

Back